Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do after flowers die?

Posted by chandaoh ohio/5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 23:52

I got an Amaryllus bulb in a "growing kit" for christmas, and it is blooming beautifully right now, grown indoors. I do know its too cold to ever plant outdoors here in OH but the flowers will be wilting soon and I know most bulbs have a dormant phase they need to go through after blooming. My grandmother has an amaryllus she has has several years that also came in a kit for christmas. it bloomed that first year and continues to produce leaves, but in 4 years it has never bloomed again. I dont want my lovely red lion to suffer the same fate. It is such a welcome sight to see this bunch of big beautiful flowers in the dark gloomy winter. any help on what to do after the blooms fade? thanx.....Chanda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do after flowers die?

Keep on watering. Just make sure that you don't overwater it. You can also put a little fertilizer in the water. Then when there is warmer temperature outside, minimum temp. around 10F, you can plant it out and care for it outside. Then unearth it in September and prepare it for blooming. You can find advice about all these on this forum.

o

Some beginner tips on my site.

Plant_Guy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Amaryllis Page

o

thanks plant guy...the instructions on your web site were very detailed and seem easy enough...I'll give it a shot. I didnt think ammaryllus could be planted outdoors in ohio and I probably would have left it in the cheap plastic pot that came with the kit forever. when I bring it in next fall I will be sure to put it in a good pot with drainage etc. I will also pass this info on to my Grandma and hopefully hers will bloom again too. Thanks again.....Chanda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here