Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank27603

No more clearance bulbs...

frank27603
15 years ago

Ok, I've had it with the "bargains" purchased on clearance...sheesh!

Harmless looking and solid feeling 'Lima' for $4.00:
{{gwi:380576}}From Misc

After removing the dried layers:
{{gwi:380577}}From Misc

I had to cut and cut to get all the nasty out...I don't know if it will recover...
{{gwi:380581}}From Misc

Harmless looking Apple Blossom for $2.00. I knew it was potted too deep, but if felt solid to the touch.
{{gwi:380583}}From Misc

After pulling it out...hmmm
{{gwi:380585}}From Misc

Lots of digging later, I still had lots of bulb left. I think it will be ok...
{{gwi:380588}}From Misc

And then to the aborted scape from the PESKY little black bugs that came in on a discout bulb and have spread. They appear to eat the newly emerging scapes and they abort like this...
{{gwi:380591}}From Misc

And this is my beautiful 'Pink Surprise' bulb from ETG. It is a great bulb and if I were really into foilage, I'd be in luck. Unfortunately, I did order it for the spectacular blooms that it apparently will not have this year...waaahh waaa! This is the only other bulb I actually ordered others than the Sonatinis. Does clearance from the online bulb distributors mean no blooms this season?
{{gwi:380592}}From Misc

So, to sum all this up a little, I'm not planning to buy any more bulbs on clearance. I guess I'm going to have to plan to treat all of these guys with something soon. Uggghhhh! Moral of the story: Be very weary of clearance specials...

-Frank

Comments (24)

• pumas
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Whoa Frank buddy...Some nasty bulb issues.But it's cheap education too,right? I am sure you'll conquer all these issues with flying colors.Hopefully we can get our mitts on some Aussie Hipps.I believe Soultan mentioned this last year? I am sure someone here will get you a bulb that can bloom for you soon.I personally cannot.You've got many friends here that can problem solve and trust me.Everything will be Beautimus in Frank World again. Peace,Mark

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Lesson #1 - You get what you pay for.
    Lesson #2 - Every plant has its season.
    Lesson #3 - Be prepared to deal with problems.

Frank, first of all, I'm really very sorry your introduction to these wonderful bulbs is turning out to be a nightmare. That is one long run of bad luck, and I've never seen so much rot in one season!

Either this is an exceptionally poor year for bulbs, or the quality from some suppliers has gone right down the toilet! This is what's known as overkill! Please contact those suppliers and notify them.

I've been really lucky, it seems... I haven't run into any rot problems this season... just a couple of bulbs that are growing leaves instead of flowers. I can wait until next season to see blooms, though.

I'm still not familiar with any tiny black bugs that attack these bulbs, though. I haven't actually seen any pests on my bulbs.

I know a lot of folks are dead set against using chemicals and sprays in gardening, but for certain problems associated with bulbs, it pays to have a couple of items on hand. You've already addressed the rot by removing the offending areas... so, the next step is dusting those bulbs with Captan or equivalent anti-fungal powder. After you've got them liberally coated, place them out of direct light to dry.

I would lay them each on a paper plate and set the plates somewhere with a little air circulation, like a shelf that's out of reach for anyone to disturb them. Let them sit for about a week, as recommended by Maria. Keep an eye on them, and turn them once a day just to keep air on all sides. When you re-pot them, take care to leave the injured, raw areas above soil level.

With diligence, I think most of those can be saved. The Lima is a bit iffy, but it might make it. Who can tell at this point?

I'm so very sorry to see this... let this be a lesson to us all; the later in the season, the worse off these bulbs are. At this point in time, it would pay to peel back the brown, dried layers right there at the store to check for health. Just peek under them and look for signs of rot before purchasing. Honestly, though, it is a cheap lesson in choosing bulbs, doing bulb surgery, and the importance of ordering early in the season.

Keep us informed... I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like an update on how those guys are responding to their surgical procedures and healing process.

Poor Frank... I feel so bad for you... don't worry, though. You're not the first person to have these problems, and you won't be the last. It's us who go before the next generation of bulb lovers that can offer this advice and help them through our lessons learned. :-)

• haitidoc
    15 years ago

I've had bulbs with spots like that and did nothing to them and they grew fine. I'm not sure that that sort of thing is always significant. A place gets damaged and that spot dies but that does not mean that you have a bad fungus infection. Many things can result in a part of a bulb dying but that does not mean it will end in a fungus infection. Even if that spot is full of fungus, it does not mean the bulb won't heal without medication.

Being a surgeon doing a lot of practice in Haiti, I can assure you that the same is true in humans. We used to see it here in the states as well. Feet on people turn black, dry up, and fall off and the patient is never treated and is still living without signs of infection. It is called dry gangrene.

Bulbs get black spots and it may be a fungus attack or it may be a spot of dead scale(s) and it may heal just fine if it is ignored. Surgery on the bulb is okay, but just because it gets well doesn't mean that it was because of the surgery, maybe it got well in spite of the surgery.

I had an interesting case this fall. I had all 36 of my bulbs setting outside all summer and when it got too cold for them I put them inside in a cool place. Later, I brought them out to the relative warmth and one day found a large toad in the pots. He lives there snuggled down next to a large bulb. A black spot formed next to him, apparently from something toxic from him or his waste products. He moved over to another pot where he now lives peacefully, mostly buried, turning around occasionally. He has not damaged that bulb. The first bulb had no problem and is continuing to grow.

I think if you find hard rot on a bulb, I would not do anything. Surgery might allow infection of some sort to enter. As far as a multitude of infestations, I suspect there are a great many critters that could live happily, or at least survive on amy bulbs, at least for a while. Some might cause harm, others may just be trying to survive till they find a better home. Even deer and rabbits will eat poisonous plants to survive.

I've seldom found it necessary to treat "infestations" except for my own personal comfort. Some things one just doesn't want running around in your house or garden. Also, they just don't look good or could make an opening for some more serious problem.

I think these bulbs are a lot like people and animals. They can be over diagnosed and over treated and if they get well in spite of our treatment, we take the credit. Makes doctors and vets money. Makes good talking points on forums. Sorry if I'm coming across sarcastic. I inherited that from my Dad (he's still alive at 98)
    Vic

• anna_in_quebec
    15 years ago

Very good points you bring up, Vic, especially the last few about doctors and vets.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I must bring up the difference in climate and growing environment... while it's very true that not all small problems will develop into large ones, those of us in areas that experience cold winters must deal with the very bad combination of wet and cold when it comes to bulbs. Very often, our pots are forced to sit on windowsills, right next to cold windowpanes. Though we heat our homes, the area next to the glass is still quite chilly at times.

Having the advantage of a constantly decent growing environment, for the most part, can help immensely with turning small problems into nothing, as nature takes care of some things without our intervention.

For myself, I take no chances. Here in Illinois, where the winters are frigid, a small soft spot on a bulb can very quickly turn into a horribly nasty mess if not cared for in good time.

Just yesterday I noticed an infection pocket on the mammary gland of one of my dogs... no doubt caused by falling and scraping on the cement kennel floor, or equivalent... without care, that will absolutely turn into a bad case of full body infection, and she will be horribly sick, and possibly even die, without treatment. I topically treated the wound, itself, and also injected her with 3cc of Pen BP-48, subcutaneously. I'll repeat the injection tomorrow, and once more after another 48 hours.

I can appreciate the fact that many times nature works itself out... nature is amazing, and many times near miraculous. But since I have the capacity to help, it seems silly to take a chance if I don't have to.

The majority of my bulbs were costly, and many were gifts. I couldn't allow nature to take its course... especially since I don't have the financial capacity to replace them.

Everyone must weigh the pros and cons of treating their bulbs, and accept the consequences of what they decide.

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Hey Frank, truly a bummer! Hope the bulbs recover. I have a question for ya....what's the white stuff on the top of your soil?

• frank27603
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, this is my fourth year with these beauties but only really the third year of having more than one. I understand you get what you pay for, but geez louis...LOL! I've had bulbs rot and die over the summer the last 2 years, so maybe I finally know the common thread. Until this year, I hadn't pulled back the layers to expose any rot issues and didn't really inspect them well enough. Thus, they will grow and look happy, but all the while hiding rot underneath that eventually kills them and we don't know until it is too late.

I wondered just the other day about what I think Haitidoc is talking about and if they could heal themselves naturally. It seems like what I've experienced is that when the rot starts, it just rots inward until the entire bulb is one big mush pit. I guess that could be an experiment for us to try. Take a common named variety with a little rot starting and treat it well and see if it grows and pushes the infection out and heals itself...hmmm. Something to think about. What I have also noticed is that when a bulb is having issues, whether you know it or not, it will often push out offsets rather quickly. Like it knows it is dying so it wants to make sure the world doesn't forget it by replicating itself. Mother Nature is really something!

I'm with Jodi in that I can't just stand by and hope they get better on their own. I feel the need to help them any way I can! Regardless of the price, these little critters are my children. If I try to help and they croak, I know that I did my best to help...

Jodi- I hope your dog will be ok. Glad you caught it and know how to treat it!

Cindee- The white stuff is leveling sand I'm using in my medium now. I'm hoping it will make the difference in the pots holding too much moisture. I can't go to the full medium Jodi has discovered because I wouldn't be able to keep them watered during the summer when it is really hot, so I am trying a compromise-y solution. The sand is mixed into the soil and then a nice layer on top. I've been growing some babies in it for a while now and so far, they seem to really like it.

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Hi Frank, yes I have to agree with you about Mother Nature being pretty incredible. There are many plants who when stressed bloom more profusely in an effort to ensure continuation of the species. Given how much effort an amaryllis uses to bloom, producing offsets is probably much easier.

Vic & Jodi, I think you're both right. The human body has incredible power to heal itself IF conditions are just right, and plants I'm sure have that power too. While a teenager may be sick for a few days with the flu, a 90 year old patient in a nursing home may not live through the same virus. I certainly don't have to worry about nearly the fungal issues with plants here in Arizona, as say someone in Florida might. There are so many variables to consider in each instance.

Anyway, just my two cents worth. The thread seemed to have taken a bit of a tense tone (maybe I misinterpreted), but we're all here to learn and share ideas and be friends.

Best regards!
    Ryan

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks, Frank... she'll be fine. I've been doing my own vet work for the last 25 years... no offense to vets, but I can't afford to take every dog in and pay an office visit for every little thing!

I think there are several contributing factors to rot in bulbs, and I think a colder climate makes it even more tricky to maintain good bulb health.

One reason that many of our bulbs may have a difficult time with rot is the fact that they're container grown... a container environment is very different than a garden environment. I've gone over this before, so to recap, there isn't always an equalized balance of good and evil in a container due to decomp and many other things. This is where using a more inorganic approach can help.

Another reason is breeding... growers sometimes are breeding more toward size and color and the ability to sell the product, and incorporating a good immune system might take a backseat.

A third reason is money... at the base level, growers know that in order to make profit, they need to pump out a product, and most of these bulbs are intended to be like anything else these days... disposable. While there are, of course, many caring growers that have the customer's satisfaction in mind, there are those who just want that profit.

Another reason that bulbs seem to decline from rot is that most of them are stressed when we buy them. They've just traveled quite a distance, sat in customs, and then are trucked to the seller. A stressed immune system won't work very well.

And finally, cold and wet, as I mentioned before, can be a lethal combination for bulbs.

It's taken me a while to figure it all out, but I think that preventative measures are imperative to avoid rot in container grown bulbs. Using a more inorganic medium, using an anti-fungal (whether needed or not) at first potting, and keeping at least half of the bulb's body above soil level, all combine to help avoid a bad case of rotting bulb. I have very good control over watering and moisture content, feeding, there's little to no decomp going on, and I can more easily keep dead layers and debris cleaned up.

Frank, I mix my medium a little differently for different plants and different situations... you can add vermiculite or a bit of good quality peat based potting soil to the initial mix for added moisture retention. I actually take the base mix and play around with it until I find a good consistency that I think will work for the plant in question.

I think Haitidoc has a valid point, but I don't think that you can apply it to container grown bulbs, especially where a lot of decomp is going on, and certainly not to potted bulbs grown where it gets chilly. I just don't think that many of the hybrids are bred with exceedingly strong immune systems. Species type bulbs may be a little stronger in that department.

I just think that modern hybrids being what they are, and container growing being what it is, it's better to prevent rot from happening, or to help those bulbs that appear to have a case before it spreads. It would be wonderful if we could count on the bulb's immune system to take over when a soft spot appears, but many times, the bulb is stressed and doesn't have the capacity to heal itself.

• frank27603
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Ryan! Watch out for that other guy named Ryan here...haha!

Thanks for your input. I didn't think the thread was tense and I hope no one else did either. Everyone has their own ideas and ways of gardening and that is why we are here to share and learn. It is often very hard, especially for me, to correctly articulate what I want to say here. Often the typed word can carry a tone or a tenseness that wasn't intended by the type-er... I think this happens frequently in forums like this as well as in emails. I certainly hope that no one feels awkward.

We are all here to enjoy the Hippi's!

-Frank

• ryan820
    15 years ago

I've destroyed a bulb that had obvious signs of rot. Never again will I do heavy dissection on a bulb. It will go into a spot by itself in case it is something that will spread and then it is up to the plant to survive.

• java_j
    15 years ago

Posted by Jodik somewhere above:

--Another reason that bulbs seem to decline from rot is that most of them are stressed when we buy them. They've just traveled quite a distance, sat in customs, and then are trucked to the seller. A stressed immune system won't work very well. --
    --
    That certainly destroys my illusion of the bulbs being grown by the sellers in temperature controlled greenhouses.

Not Walmart or Home Depot, of course, but White Flower Farm and Easy To Grow. Honestly, that is what I thought.

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Java, I picked up an amaryllis at Home Depot that was clearly labeled "Product of Israel". Makes you wonder just how long it sat in a cargo container in transit and in customs.

I was reading today that Israel was allowing Gazan farmers to export flowers to Europe for Valentines Day for the first time in two years. Prior to 2007, flowers had been a major export from the region. Seems like everything these days comes from somewhere far away!

Ryan

• haitidoc
    15 years ago

My point is that not every case of damage or disease is the same. The point being made about the general health of a plant and the growing condition in which it finds itself is extremely valid. A bulb with rot and left in an unhealthy environment will not heal although it may throw off some offsets in its dying efforts that may survive if growing conditions improve.

If a bulb has a "health" problem, there is a pretty good chance that the growing condition is a major contributor to the problem, probably is the root cause. The disease or injury would often not be a significant issue if the bulb was otherwise healthy and the growing conditions were ideal.

Diseases of all types tend to attack the weak and the unhealthy and I certainly agree with extreme measures in the conditions where it is warranted. After all, I am a general surgeon and cut off legs, cut out and off all kinds of diseased parts and know that without the radical surgery the patient would most likely remain ill or die.

I have done a lot of radical surgery on all kinds of plants to save them and have no qualms about doing so. My point is that many injuries do not result is serious problems if left untreated.

Allow me to give an example using people. If you come in with a large injury and it is clean or possible to clean up, I will give you antibiotic and close the injury. It is is not possible to clean, has been open over 24 hours, contains damaged tissue, etc. I certainly would not close it but would debrid it, cut away all damaged tissue if possible and keep it open until it was appropriate to close the wound.

If the wound is kept open, there is a good chance you would not need the antibiotic and little chance of infection, although many surgeons would give you one to avoid being criticized or sued.

I fully agree with the radical treatment or the cleaning up of rot and other diseased parts of bulbs when warranted. Sometimes we can learn a lot by watching to see if anything does happen. Also, just as in medicine, what we think we are doing to help may not really be doing much at all. We see good results when we do something and we think we helped. Later, at least in medicine, later we find what we were doing didn't really help much and the problem didn't need treatment, or at least not that treatment.

I think a thread like this one is one of the reasons forums are helpful. Controversy helps us learn. The fellowship of amy lovers seen here is great. Learning from each other is also. I think the obvious care the members of this forum have for one another is wonderful.

And I would be most happy to be disagreed with. Some claim I tend to be the devil's advocate. There may be some truth to that.

• salpal
    15 years ago

I don't find this thread overly tense. Sometimes when advocating for/against points of view, people may sound passionate. If everyone always attempts to be agreeable, rather dull and uninspiring discussions may occur. On this forum participants are almost always overly civil- most people here dislike fighting.(a good quality, I think.) I think a good forum welcomes a variety of opinions and treats participants with respect.

Vic, I sort of like a devil's advocate and you have not been mean or unkind in any way. I am enjoying your comparisons with human and plant surgery. I greatly enjoy these types of discussions when they take place on the forum. Stimulating!

• hatta
    15 years ago

Frank,

It sure is disappointing when you are expecting healthy bulbs and gorgeous blooms coming, but after all the surgeries, you are in doubt .... Don't despair, life must go on ...

I also don't find this thread overly tense. It is healthy seeing and reading different opinions. We all do live in different climates and growing conditions. What's working for one bulb may not work for another.

Hatta

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

This is one of the only forums that rarely has a tense moment... one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. We are all able to converse in an adult manner and share ideas and thoughts without getting touchy about it. I find that gardeners have a lot of patience, and bulb collectors have even more than most!

You CAN compare bulbs and people when it comes to illness and treating them... if you keep in mind that the variables are many and the territory is a little different. Commercialism being what it is, most Hippeastrum bulbs are at a disadvantage from the start!

As a canine breeder, and one that's very old school and picky, and one without an endless bank account, I've found it to my advantage to be my own doctor, and have done many surgeries and other procedures that most anyone else would go to the vet for. Some injuries are better left to heal on their own, while there are others that require immediate and in depth attention. Antibiotics are a lifesaver! To think that something so simple can mean the difference between life and death, many times, is astounding. Antibiotics also need to be used carefully... it's not prudent to use them for every little thing as they can become less effective if over used.

I think we can see how the over use of medicines and over disinfecting of our environment can cause our youth to develop inadequate immune systems. We need to be exposed to a certain amount of bacterias and germs in order to build immunity. This is a fascinating natural system!

While not every injury or disease is the same, there are those that are definitely more common and seen more often. In bulbs, this would be rot caused by any number of things. Once it gets rather late in the season, unsold bulbs have been sitting around in a warm environment using their stored reserves to stay alive. They are stressed.

As in human medicine, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It's better to prevent unwanted things from happening than to wait until it's too late, and then try to save what's left.

I think part of the problem is the commercialism and the business of making profit... a good number of Hippeastrum hybrids are purchased each winter and disposed of when they are finished blooming. I don't know the percentage, nor could I guess, but I'm sure that quite a high number of Minervas, Red Lions, and Apple Blossoms end up in landfills or compost heaps after the blooms have faded. We're the die-hards that save these bulbs, knowing the beauty and wonder that awaits if we just give the bulb the care it needs to recharge. We live in a disposable society... everything is manufactured or grown to be used for a short time, and then thrown away... to purchase another, is what manufacturers want us to do. Therefore, breeding toward a genetically strong immune system is not required, nor does it serve the purpose of making profit.

It all comes down to the fact that half of anything is genetic and the other half environmental... begin with strong genetics, and a good environment will make it even better... begin with poor genetics, and even the best of environments will only mask underlying issues temporarily.

I think that some valuable lessons can be learned from Frank's misfortune... so, his frustration is not for nothing, and actually can help others. We can readily see that ordering bulbs early in the season is prudent, at which point they are a lot less stressed. We can also comprehend how a container environment can add to that stress if conditions are poor, and this is an area we can control. Once we become more experienced growers and collectors, we can save some money by taking our chances, and we then have the knowledge necessary to salvage those bulbs that aren't in the best of shape.

The weak are most certainly attacked, being easy targets for insects, fungus and bacterial problems. Lowered immunity from stress makes the bulbs weak. Adding more stress through a poor growing environment doesn't help. Add to all that the expectation to bloom for us...

So, here we have these poor weak and stressed bulbs, living off their reserves and awaiting our care. It's entirely up to us to research and figure out the best course of action to strengthen and help these bulbs through.

What I'm trying to say, I think, is that imported bulbs are disadvantaged from the start... and whether or not our treatment is the catalyst that pulls them through to a future of health and many good bloom cycles, preventative maintenance never hurts!

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Jodi, you are very well spoken, and very well informed, with experience we can all learn from. I apologize for misinterpreting your enjoyment of "debate". My initial impression of your first response to Vic was that it was a bit defensive, hence the "tense" comment. I can see now that I was mistaken. It can be hard to interpret tone within the written word.

Ryan

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Yes, it's VERY difficult to know what a person means within the parameters of a forum or message board... aside from what we can do with our keyboards, we can't see expression, hear intonation or emotion... we're stuck within the confines of the written word.

No apology necessary, Ryan... and thank you for the compliments! Luckily, the written word is my forte! :-)

I think that many times, people don't read all the way through a post before they begin to form a response. If we applied our gardening patience to reading and comprehending context, most of the arguments that ensue on other forums would never take place! I think it's important to read all the way through a post before forming an opinion or typing a response.

Some people are more emotional than others, and some are not as well-read, perhaps... but I think if everyone approached message boards calmly, debating instead of jumping to conclusions or arguing, we could all learn a lot more!

It also helps when the same people are part of the group for a good length of time... we get to know each other and what responses are to be expected... and I even think it helped us here to post our pictures, thus giving us one more facet of who we're talking with. Cindee started a thread last year, and we all responded by showing ourselves! It was an awesome thread, full of excellent photos of beautiful, interesting people! Now when I type, I know most of the people I'm responding to, and I have a picture in my head of who they are!

We should begin a new thread like that... and post more current photos of ourselves! Not today, mind you... I'm a mess! LOL!

I enjoy this particular forum too much to jump to conclusions when someone posts their opinions... we can't always all agree all the time... that would be boring!

Surprisingly, I've only been growing and collecting tender Amaryllids for a short time... less than three years... but I've done a ton of research, and I've devoted a lot of time to experiencing and experimenting with my bulbs in my less than perfect environment. Why bother to garden if we're not going to share the beauty and knowledge? Or even debate it?

My recipe for success is simple, really... I take a large helping of research, throw in a goodly portion of experience, a dollop of common sense... I add a grain of salt... mix thoroughly... and there you have it! There's no such thing as a green thumb! It's all nothing more than applied knowledge. I've learned a great deal through the generous nature of others here... and I think it's only fair that I pass on what I've learned.

To me, there is no greater enjoyment in gardening than sharing what I've accomplished so others can feel that same sense of joy and accomplishment! Happy Gardening!

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Did I also mention that I tend to be long winded in my responses?! LOL

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Absolutely nothing wrong with being long-winded when you have something to say! Its the long-winded with nothing to say that can be frustrating. And you are correct, had I been hanging around the forum for a longer time, I probably would have known better ;-)

Ryan

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Well then... just in case I haven't said so before... welcome, Ryan! Hang out, and you'll not only get to see some great bulbs... you'll also laugh with us, cry with us, rejoice with us and share our disappointments. We're casual, not adhering strictly to topic... and we enjoy sharing our families and pets, our other plant obsessions and our stories. It's always interesting, and many times hilarious! You'll be spitting your drink all over your monitor! :-)

I HOPE I have something interesting to say... I often wonder, because I know there are others here that have WAY more experience than I have with Amaryllids... but I do hope that something I contribute will help someone, or make an impact on how well they garden.

We all start somewhere... and if everyone shares a little of what they've gone through, we can all be better gardeners. :-)

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Thanks! As you can see, I'm not too shy about pushing my nose into places. hehe I've been loitering quite a bit lately in this and the Brugmansia rooms. You all and the Brugs folks are definitely two of the friendliest and chatty forums on here. And even better, I've learned a lot already!

Amaryllis have long been one of my favorites, but due to their price, I often find myself only buying them for others. They make excellent Christmas gifts for family living in Wisconsin! With your frequent discussions of easytogrowbulbs.com I've ordered some amy's from them. At least now I'll know how to take care of them if they come with any problems. I'm sure I'll be posting with lots more questions.

Thanks!
    Ryan

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

No problem, Ryan! Don't be discouraged if you happen to get some poor stressed bulbs now... the key is to save up and buy them fresh in late fall. I keep a bulb fund going, and I dump a few dollars here and there into it... then, I can buy a bulb or two or three when I want.

Don't worry, though... we'll help you through any problems you come across.

They do make nice gifts... I try to give my daughters each one for Christmas every year. This year, I wasn't able to... but last year, they really enjoyed them!

I mostly hang out here, but I've also been known to stop in at the Container Gardening forum and the Bulb forum. I even check in over at the Orchid forum sometimes. There's so much to learn about!

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area