Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scrape and blooming cycle

Posted by yellowfingers 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 1:27

Hi all,

I have a question about scrape and cycles. I usually only get 1 scrape no matter how big my bulb is. Sometime I got 2 but rarely. This year I have a couples that is close to 40cm in diameter but ii only see 1 scrape on them so far. But then most of my bulbs also bloom twice a years. Once in spring and one in fall. Is this normal for amaryllis?

Don

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scrape and blooming cycle

Hi Don,

I have many bulbs some that I have had for 4 to 6 years and each year they surprise me as to when the scapes come up and how many scapes as well as how many flowers; sometimes only 2, or 3 and luckily many have 4.

Sometimes a scape will bloom and then several weeks later another scape will emerge. Getting an older bulb to produce both scapes simultaneously doesn't happen that often for me. I know it takes 5 to 8 leaves in the summer to produce 1 scape and so you would most likely need at least 10 leaves over the course of the summer to produce 2 scapes. Bottom line it's not an exact science (for me anyway) as to when these bulbs will bloom and the number of scapes. etc.

Donna

o
RE: Scrape and blooming cycle

Thanks for the information Donna. I have similar experience as you. I guess my bulbs are doing fine then. Lot of time when I saw people post the pictures on the forum, it seem likes most of them have 2 scrapes so I thought I was doing something wrong.

Don

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here