A couple of crosses without parentage

haxuan
12 years ago

Here they are:

{{gwi:380815}}

{{gwi:380816}}

{{gwi:380817}}

{{gwi:380818}}

I would appreciate if you could suggest any traces of parents of these blooms.

Xuan

Comments (9)

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

I don't know what they are - but I love that first one! Very pretty.

• dragonstone
    12 years ago

Huh.. What are those two things sticking out of the first flower?

• haxuan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dragonstone: I have the same question, I don't know what those two things are. Could they be some sort of "deformed" petals/stigmas/????

Perhaps some amaryllis experts could step in and tell us what they are.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

If I could just take a guess, I would say that there are some double genes in the flower that tried to express themselves and just couldn't quite make it. Since all a double does is take the stamens and turn them into petals which is why you very often see partial stamens and or filiments fused to the extra petals...How's that for a guess...?
    They are both very pretty, and I would ask if the blush peach one has bloomed before and did it do the same thing? If it has not bloomed before then the next time you may see more partial extra petals trying to form a double.

Donna

• npublici
    12 years ago

I think Dancing queen is a strong possibility as one of the parents of all of them.

• dragonstone
    12 years ago

If all the flowers on this bulb does that, and it keeps doing that yearly, you might have to name it "Unicorn" or something. ;)

• haxuan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Donna. I think what you've said above could be true. This morning, I looked again I found the "stranger" tried to open into some petals. Here's a photo.

{{gwi:380819}}

I don't remember if this clump of bulbs bloom before, I will check my photo record.

npublici: could be. Elizabeth made many crosses with DQ as well as Charisma.

Dragonstone: I've found another bloom on this clump has something similar, too.

Here's a photo of the whole pot.

{{gwi:380820}}

The size of the bulbs in this clump is small.

Xuan

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

It's almost impossible to figure out parentage unless they're primary species crosses that have obvious characteristics of both plants but I think 'Dancing Queen' sounds and looks possible.

The flower seems to be unstable, how many flowers have bloomed like that, just two?

• npublici
    12 years ago

What you are seeing is weak semi doubleness.If you have semi doubles or doubles from another breeding line,you could cross them to obtain a strong double. This would usually occur in the F2 generation,that is the seedlings resulting from that cross,crossed with each other, or selfed and the resulting seedlings being the hope for doubleness. That doubleness could occur in the F1 generation of crossing those semi doubles but is less likely.
    Del

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer