Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitsukiwi

New Member & Mis-Labeled Bulbs

mitsukiwi
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,
I am a new member and new to Hippies. I have had to give up my gardening due to back problems. So after many years and 'growing' depression from missing my plants, I couldn't stand it any longer and decided I could at least have some plant enjoyment. lol Being retired with not much I am able to do, I jumped in with both feet. I have always loved hippies but since I had many other plant interests, I couldn't afford any other collections. Never one to be satisfied with only collecting a few of a genre, I have purchased a bunch of bulbs this year.
Unfortunately, I too, have gotten some incorrect bulbs according the pictures. I hope I am able to send my pictures without being too confusing but I would love to have the proper ID for these three if anyone can help. I'm sure there will be more as I go along with many more to bloom.

The first one was labeled A. Susan from Tulip World

{{gwi:381162}}

The second was labeled A. Vera from ETG

{{gwi:381163}}

and the last one is so totally off, it is pathetic. It was labeled A Bogota from ETG.

{{gwi:381164}}

I'm sure I have probably messed up adding pictures but have also added a link in case the pictures don't come through. Hopefully I will get the hang of this. :)

I have been lurking around here for several months and know you all are very good with identifying so thanks so much in advance.

Comments (11)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Could you edit your post and copy and paste in the link that start with ? Maybe it's just me, but nothing is showing up. The links took me to the same pink bloom.
    Thanks!
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Hi,

Your links took me to different flowers but all very pale blooms. Later this morning I will post examples of my versions of the three flowers you have listed above and maybe that will help. I just got up.... ;-) Donna

• mitsukiwi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So sorry...maybe I need to do them one at a time. This one was supposed to be Susan:

Sorry for the extra uploads.

• mitsukiwi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This was labeled as Vera.

• mitsukiwi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And this last one is labeled Bogota..not the right form. I don't believe it is even a cybister.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Thanks for loading the photos...much easier than the reader clicking back and forth to photo bucket. You can put them all in one message (for your future blooms), by copying and pasting the link from Photobucket that starts with Hmmmm...this has really been a bad year for mislabled bulbs!! I have several that are similar to your first 2 blooms, but I can't ID them with certainty.

The last one looks like some mutt that they pawned off on ETGB. They definitely owe you a replacement for that one!!!

K

• lenanen
    10 years ago

Welcome to the forum Mitsukiwi!
    Lovely photos and lovely, delicate flowers too, But of course if they are not the ones they were supposed to be that is annoying. The same thing has happened to the most of us here.

10 years ago

Hi Again,

As I look again at your pictures I would say your second picture "might" be Susan but difficult to say for sure. Susan has a faint red area deep in the throat.

Here is my Susan from a few years ago and she is just opening again now.

{{gwi:381171}}

and one of the better flowers from my Susan (which is not really one of my favorites)

{{gwi:381172}}

As to your first picture I really don't know, it could be anything.

Here is my Vera from several years ago; Very is one of my incredible shrinking bulbs, each year she gets smaller and smaller. It was a lovely coraly pink in it's hayday.

My Vera when she was happy..

{{gwi:381173}}

and of course you know that that homely flower isn't a cybister let alone the lovely Bogota and you should follow Kristi's suggestion that you send ETGB a picture of this and hopefully they will issue a credit for a bulb next year. Some mislabels can be interesting but you got a dud...

{{gwi:381174}}

Yes this had been a really strange year for mislabels probably the highest percentage I can ever remember!

Hope this helps a little,...Donna

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

I used to be a daylily addict and once I realized that nobody really cared about the names other than me, I removed all of my labels. I just love 'beautiful'. With Amaryllis, I am seeing the same thing happening with miss-labeled bulbs. If it is lovely, why does it matter what it is called?

Just look at dogs ---- the registrar tries to label and nobody really knows what the DNA is of their dog even if it is 'registered'. Why do we care? It is all about the monetary value of the species. Once you don't care about that, you just look at 'pretty'.

• mitsukiwi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi All,
    Thanks for the warm welcome lenanen and others! I appreciate it. Thanks Donna for sending your pictures. I haven't been able to find anything that looks like my first one (susan?) but was expecting the Vera to look like your happy Vera picture. Does anyone have a clue what the first one is? It is a fairly small flower.
    As far as the Bogota, I was really unhappy about that one. I love the cybisters so that was quite a surprise. Does that look like any other that you know of?
    Speaking of cybisters, my labeled "La Paz" looks more like Lima to me. What do you all think? Is this La Paz?

{{gwi:381175}}

I love that there is a place I can come to learn and share with others about my latest passion. I'm sure I will have lots of questions now that I got up the nerve to join the forum. :)

Thanks bunches!
    Nancy

10 years ago

Welcome Nancy,

Well I would take a guess that you have lovely Lima. I bought 2 La Pazs this year from ETGB for a friend and they were Limas. Now last year I ordered La Paz and ended up with a Tango which I was very pleased with since I didn't have a Tango. I still don't have a La Paz!! Now I believe that La Paz and Lima are very similar and not having one I can't really do an actual picture comparison for you so... hopefully someone else on the forum will have a more definite answer for you. Your Lima is lovely though...

Donna

Sponsored
More Discussions