Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For Bee Lovers

Posted by blancawing Point Reyes, CA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 7:10

Dear all,

photo beeheart.gif

Although we share a dread of Narcissus Bulb Flies, I think that we also share a love and respect for bees and the essential work they do as pollinators of our fruit, vegetables, and (of course) flowers. Indeed, many of us love to "play bee" ourselves. As such, I highly recommend the film 'More Than Honey' (Des abeilles et des hommes/Un mondo in pericolo) directed by Markus Imhoof. It was Switzerland's official selection for the 2013 Best Foreign Film Academy Award. The film is in German, but the DVD has easy to read English subtitles.

Aside from its spectacular photography and painstaking documentation of the phenomenon "colony collapse disorder," I think that this film has much to offer us in the form of insights and information, which relate to the husbandry of our beloved bulbs. For example, it includes large-scale pollen collection, comparing pollination by bees to hand pollination by humans, and battling devastating mite infestation. Beyond that, the film examines the commodification of bees in the global economy that may ultimately lead their extinction.

Cheers,

Blanca

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For Bee Lovers

I totally agree that we must be sure of the differences between bees or hornets (more easily recognizable) and the Narcissus Bulb Fly so I will post this last picture again on this thread which if I do say so my self, is pretty darn good! You might all take this picture off this thread and save it in your files for comparison this season when you think you might see a NBF. When you take it off and save it you will be able to enlarge it even further so see every hair!

Donna

o

Thanks much for that Blanca! I am a bee lover and am concerned about our wild bees too. Thanks for the info on the film. Thanks too Donna for the excellant pic.

o

Thank you very much for adding your excellent ID photo, Donna.

Sal, you are most welcome. I hope that you watch the film, and tell others who might be interested about it.

Best,

Blanca

o

Excellent photo, Donna!

o

Doing the "Bee happy dance" this morning! We'll have peaches this year!
K

o

"Spring has sprung the grass has riz we don't have to wonder where the flowers is" in Texas anyway....

Nice to see a nice looking bee for a change!

o

I was just out back working to cut some wood into smaller pieces, and while I was trimming a crepe myrtle (not attempting crepe murder) I was buzzed by many bees. Turns out they had discovered the hummingbird feeder!! Well, whatever makes them happy! As long as the don't give up on the fruit trees!!
K

o

Wonderful!  photo happy1.gif Keep doing the Happy Bee Dance!

And I love Donna's ditty too!

-B

o

Saw this at the garden center on Sunday.
K

o

There WILL be peaches!
K

o

Last year i participated in a study on bees. They wanted to know how many there were and where they are and they could use some more help if you're so inclined here's the link. we had to plant sunflowers and count how many bees we saw it coming to it in a 5 to 10 minute time frame. spring is coming and they're wanting to start again and looking for more people to help.

Here is a link that might be useful: the great sunflower

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here