Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haweha

Breeding with 'Ambiance' and 'Striped Panther'

haweha
13 years ago

Hello,

dear Community

was anyone as lukky - as to obtain viable seeds ever, from pollinating "Ambiance" - and what had been the pollen donor(s)?

The same Question applies for "Striped Panther".

Thank you in advance!

Comments (11)

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Harvested May 2, 2009; viable
    Striped Panther (Bulb #6) X Pretty Lip

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

Oh Maria that sounds very pretty! Congrats to that.
    I hope, they will bloom more fast!

• haweha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Maria!

{{gwi:381479}}

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Thanks Frank!
    You're most welcome Hans!

{{gwi:381480}}

• haweha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So, nobody did ever obtain viable seeds from "Ambiance"
    C'mon C'mon I can't believe that! :)

{{gwi:381481}}

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

My Ambiance is new this year- so too early to determine success in crosses. But success in blooming...
    {{gwi:381482}}From 2010/2011 season

Is the consensus that it's a diploid?

Alana

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Ambiance will bear seeds with the right partner.
    You know that Hans. ;-)

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

And so the question is... who might that 'right partner' be?

• haweha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I assume that BOTH, namely "Ambiance" and "Striped Panther" are TRIploids, as well as [the genuine version of] "Melusine". This might explain, why it is so difficult, to elicit seed production on these.
    HOWEVER!
    I tried again, and it is irony of the fate - or I might have conjured the Karma through the group arrangemernt photo who knows! - that I successfully mated the cultivars shown in the picture above.
    While
    "Striped Panther" x "Ambiance" failed,
    3 seed pods are growing from
    "Ambiance" x "Striped Panther"
    The 4th flower of the umbel, that its style had been subtly contaminated with its own pollen (when the floret would just open), but had been crosspollinated even though, "just to see what happens" was the flower that aborted.
    2 Seed pods are growing out of
    "Exotic Star" x "Striped Panther" This is fabulous.
    (Selfpollination of the 3rd, deformed flower, was unsuccessful)

{{gwi:381483}}

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Very nice! Congrats! And good luck with the seeds. That sounds like a great cross. Interesting thought that they are triploids - I hadn't originally considered that.

It looked like I was having good luck with a pod on Ambiance by a cross from Athene, but then the scape withered. I'm not sure if I didn't keep the bulb moist enough to encourage the scape, or if it just did it naturally, but it looks like the pod isn't going to continue to grow.

I will have to try Ambiance pollen on other blooms I *suspect* are triploid.

Alana

• haweha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This season provided me with an unexpected major success, in having "Ambiance" inclined to bend to my crosspollination efforts.
    1)The POLLEN of "Ambiance" appears to be of "no value"
    2)IF "Ambiance" produces seeds then this occurs but not very productively. There is only 20 to 30 very big, black seeds per seed pod.

I dusted 10! flowers with pollen from "UnderTheLadder" (TET) in order to just hope that ONE would take - and, actually, NINE flowers would eventually "take" and "make it".
    Although the seeds looked good on superficial view, a closer inspection revealed that lots of embryos were of irregular shape. Expecting, that I would obtain a very low germination raste I sowed the whole batch of 220 seeds alltogether in one balcony box. To my surprise I have approx 80 seedlings now (some are still poking out)
    {{gwi:381484}}

Sponsored
More Discussions