Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haweha

In memoriam: 'PapDonAmb'

haweha
12 years ago

These were created from

H.papilio x ("Donau" x "Ambiance")

I originally had 5 siblings of these and I regret that I kept only ONE, namely "PapDonAmb2". I discarded the others at a time when I had lots and lots of Seedlings, and I noticed, that the growth properties of these 4 was conspicuously inferior. Anyways, ENJOY!

PDA1

{{gwi:3398}}

{{gwi:3399}}

PDA2

{{gwi:3402}}

PDA3

{{gwi:3405}}

PDA4

{{gwi:3406}}

PDA5

{{gwi:3421}}

The "lukky Survivor" in the subsequient seasons

PDA2

{{gwi:3423}}

{{gwi:381720}}

{{gwi:381721}}

{{gwi:381722}}

It still does grow very well, and three Pups are already producing their first scape.The leaves are extraordinary, they have the proportions of Clivia Leaves and not the slightest inclination to bend. Fortunately I received seeds, in 2009 from

"PapDonAmb2" x "PapDon1"

(DIP x TET)

and now I have 10 seedlings, 5 of these are vigorous with excellent leaves, again.

Comments (45)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Hans,
    Once again, if I lived closer to you I would find myself rooting around in your trash bags looking for your discards...I particularly find numbers 3 and 4 very fetching..of course only looking at the flowers and SIDEWAYS at that.. I know your critique takes in much more than the blooms..and you have to make choices, but I'm sure that most all of us would be overjoyed to create hybrids as lovely as your rejects....Thanks for sharing these with us, you give me the incentive to continue on..and, I'm running out of room!
    Donna

• lenanen
    12 years ago

Thank you for showing these pictures. Breathtaking.

I couldn't have parted with no 3...

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Dear Hans-Werner,
    I love their shape. You are so talented!
    Kristi

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Beautiful! The foliage sounds especially interesting! They're all magnificent of course, and the lucky survivor is definitely a winner. Thanks for sharing these, they're really fun to see.

• brigarif Khan
    12 years ago

Donna, IF I LIVED CLOSER TO HIM, He would soon be missing them all.

12 years ago

Arif, I guess it's a good thing that he is so very far away..or, we would all be taking turns camping out on his doorstep!! But then, Frank is over there..I wonder how close he is...

Donna

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

You mean, i should steal his garbage can?
    :-)

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Well, they do say that one man's trash is another man's treasure... I don't know that I'd want to part with any of them! They really are all quite beautiful, even if Hans does work with enough bulbs to notice flaws that some of us wouldn't... or wouldn't care so much about.

They're lovely, Hans!

• haweha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PDA4 and PDA2

PDA4 produced some scapes with 3 florets. PDA2 has produced numerous scapes exclusively 2 flowers with the most intense color of them all, which can not be accurately reproduced in the pictures. For this reason, the color appears to vary between the pictures. Fact is, the veins are very dark, burgundy red, as in H.papilio.

{{gwi:3026}}

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

They all are/were absolutely gorgeous. And dark burgundy red sounds even lovelier.

• dragonstone
    12 years ago

I have to say that I love image 5537 (The image before the last one in the first post). I love how the three petals are round-ish and the other three are pointy.

• haweha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A big "coming out". This is the second scape from the strongest Daughter Bulb; one scape from the "Mother" Bulb and two from two smaller Daughter bulbs are following. Is this already a cluster?! :)

{{gwi:381723}}

12 years ago

Hans,
    Very happy looking bucket of bulbs! The mother bulb look absolutely huge! Now which one of your "heart stoppers" is this one?..I don't recognize it with those whitish stripes on the top and bottom petals.
    Is that a body of water through the trees looking out your window..or just the illusion of one?
    Donna

• haweha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The last pictures and the following all relate to the "survivor" PapDonAmb2 which was the very strongest of the siblings. I remember that I inspected the bulbs, and I found poorer roots on the siblings, and no bud would show up, except for No2 that would bid me welcome with 2 buds poking out at the same length.

The lower white Area outdoors is Grassland (for Cows), the blackisch diffuse line above is Trees+Houses then above comes...the grey winter sky. (Blued up by the color fault of the camera).

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

They show a very similar appearance to Hippeastrum aulicum

• haweha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

In fact, I never understood, why all siblings produced florets that opened upwards, "to watch the sky". As H.aulicum does. I like this! If I obtained a seedling with a 6-umbel of upright flowers this would be spectacular! So far I have only two seedlings of H.aulicum that produce 4-umbels and this is already fabulous.

• haweha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Voluptuous Display. I am pretty much inclined to call it "Burgundy Papilio"

{{gwi:373048}}

• lenanen
    12 years ago

Stunning! (understatement of the decade, at least...)

12 years ago

Breathtaking!!!

• TigerFox
    11 years ago

Dear haweha
    Your H.papilio hybrids are very absolutely beautiful&gorgeous!
    I can't help to see your pictures again and again,I want to communicate with you of your good hybrid experiences.
    Cheers and happy gardening,
    Tiger

• haweha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:381724}} x {{gwi:381725}}

"PapDonAmb2" x "PapDon1"
    (DIP x TET) ------>

{{gwi:381726}}

{{gwi:381727}}

I am yet to find out whether it is DIP or TET. Anyways, it is a nice Intermediate between the Parents, and it shows good veining.

• lenanen
    11 years ago

- Fortunately I received seeds, in 2009 from
    "PapDonAmb2" x "PapDon1"
    (DIP x TET)
    and now I have 10 seedlings, 5 of these are vigorous with excellent leaves, again. -

Above quote from Your first message; is this specimen one of those seedlings mentioned?
    Fascinating, unforgettable, as are the parents.

I have ordered my first ever H. papilio, it is on it's way. And I have some H. papilio seedlings growing, the seeds are from Mr. Mauro Peixoto. Thank you for showing me the gracefulness of H. papilio and it's power in producing amazing offspring.

• haweha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My compliments; you read carefully, and your presumption is fully correct. I actually forgot that I had already included the statement about the seedlings. And, better yet, one other sibling will produce their "maiden bloom" in couple days!

• lenanen
    11 years ago

Sire...

I cannot wait!!!

• haweha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your feedback! The "Envelope" looks conspicuously Papilio-like. And it appears well-stuffed on gentle squeezing..The anticipation is growing...

{{gwi:381728}}

11 years ago

Can't wait!!

Donna

• TigerFox
    11 years ago

Looks very coooooooooool~~ !!

• haweha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In the meantime:
    The face of the second flower.
    I consider it a wink from the fate that the Florist-Shop nearby provided cut flowers of "TOSCA" - that I saw for the first time at all. These are terrific! I just pollinated the first flower of my hybrid, and I self pollinated the second one, here it is:

{{gwi:381729}}

• lenanen
    11 years ago

What a fortunate "rendezvous" at the florist-shop! Oh I am so hoping that this cross of Yours would be successful. Tosca and Your seedling, wow...

I have ordered Tosca from RC. I am glad to hear it is truly splendid in real life, not only in the pictures.

I also ordered 'Monaco'. May I ask Your opinion, what do You think, would it, could it be a candidate to cross with H. papilio, or some papilio-related hippeastrum.

• haweha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I turned the pot and I obtained better condiotions for taking pictures:

(Flower 1)
    {{gwi:381731}}
    {{gwi:381732}}

(Flower 2)
    {{gwi:381733}}

The performance of/from "TOSCA" considerably depends on the light conditions during forcing, at least in the stage where the buds are just opening. Indoors, the flowers might be pale and disappointing."TOSCA" shares this unfortunate property in a remarkable way with "Showmaster". Which might not be mere coincidence: I strongly presume that "TOSCA" was bred by crossing "SHOWMASTER" with a very dark almost unicolor Hippeastrum (with strong venation though)that I found on a local market advertised as "Tinto" (not the Cybister hybrid with the same name).

11 years ago

Very lovely...and those extremely plump seedpods in the rear would they be the ones you mention in the first post..one being a self? Just curious as always...

I too ordered a Tosca from Royal Colors this season I've never had one previously...

Donna

• haweha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The seed pods are from one H.aulicum seedling. Pollinated from a sibling of it!

11 years ago

...more to look forward to seeing in the future...

• lenanen
    11 years ago

Thank you Hans, these are so good-to-know points about Tosca and very interesting thoughts about her genetic background.

I won't be upset now if the performance is less than spectacular. I'm totally dependant on fluorescent lights for quite a while...

Looking at Your pictures, thinking of breeding with H. papilio... why should I try to invent the wheel again? I cannot think of anything that could surpass Your already existing creations.
    Hans, do You still have dreams or have they all been fulfilled? Are there directions You would like to venture?

• lenanen
    11 years ago

Oh and I got my H. papilio yesterday. It is a very nice sized bulb and appears to be very healthy too. I'm very pleased with it.
    I believe it is the common European clone with a longish bulb, so nothing to get excited about it in that regard...

• haweha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The second seedling tries hard, to look like a selfed PapDon1 - that this is impossible since it had been the Pollen Donor "only":

{{gwi:381734}}

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Dear Hans-Werner,
    It is very beautiful. Guess its PapDon1 traits are dominant!
    Kristi

• haweha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The edges of these are very frilly, which is not as conspicuous by the frontal view though (the vivid color-contrasts distract from this property)
    {{gwi:381735}}

My precious GirlFriend was so kind, to hold a Vase with two Scapes of "Ambiance" next to the flower, for comparison. Everybody draw their own conclusion, as to why - what purpose for - I purchased cutflowers of particularly this! Cultivar, right now. I shall keep the message coming.

{{gwi:381736}}

11 years ago

I see the pollen is missing from one bloom of Ambiance but I also notice that there is still pollen on the other blooms..so you're not going to cross them...so, you have something else in mind?

And yes, I hadn't noticed the lovely frilly edges as you show so clearly on the side view picture.

Donna

• haweha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sometimes the Florists remove Anthers, which was the case for this one individual floret. I have no clue why they did this. Hitherto, on no occasion would Pollen from "Ambiance" effectuate the formation of seed pods, on any Knight Star Lily, let-alone on itself.

• haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is my "best" seedling, hitherto,
    from "PapDonAmb2" x "PapDon1"

{{gwi:381737}}

{{gwi:381738}}

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

I would say yes, Kristi... it appears as though both posters from Germany are enjoying blooms! This must be bloom time in that part of the world!

A lovely flower, Hans... very lovely!

haweha thanked jodik_gw
  • haweha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you!
    As regards the question
    "common time" -
    actually my camera was broken and I took the pictures in MAY this year on my GFs' SmartPhone and I recently transferred them to my Computer.

Here is another sibling

{{gwi:381739}}

Oh, and here comes my Pancratium canariense first bloom after 5 y of pampering!

{{gwi:381740}}

This post was edited by haweha on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 14:13

• parodise
    9 years ago

Lovely crosses, Hans! Yes, all three of my Hippies rebloomed late July/early August. I'm in southern Germany.

haweha thanked parodise
Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus
More Discussions