Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishing_dentist

Ruby Meyer

fishing_dentist
11 years ago

Does anybody of You still grow the good old ruby Meyer? My one did die years before, but i still love this thing.
Best regards and greets!
Frank

Comments (47)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Hi Frank. I have one and I think it's one that is sending up a scape soon!
    Kristi

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh Kristi please post a foto!

11 years ago

I'll have to dig it out Frank.
    K

11 years ago

Frank,
    I did a search for "Meyer" and lots of photos came up. Josh says at least one of my RM is Bogota. Hmmm.
    Kristi

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That one: {{gwi:381903}}
    whas my good old Mr Meyer!

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kristi how is Your RM doing? Any new fotos this season??
    Best regards

10 years ago

Hi Frank,
    Ruby had a a great summer and is now in the greenhouse. Won't see any blooms till at least March. I'll keep you posted.
    :-)
    K

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thats nice!
    I am waiting and trying to get one for me! :-)

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Frank,
    Did you see that McClure and Zimmerman has Ruby Meyer?
    Bill
    http://www.mzbulb.com/dp.asp?pID=f60609&c=154&p=Ruby+Meyer+Amaryllis

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruby Meyer

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh thats are good news! Hope, it is right labeled! When i bring it to germany and it is a red lion........

10 years ago

Historically, I got a large % of mislabeled bulbs.....still they are typically large bulbs. Good luck!
    K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 8:57

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Well, we shall find out, I just ordered a few!! At the very worst they might be Bogota and If I remember correctly several years ago Ruby Meyers was said to be Jungle Star; I guess I wouldn't be too upset with that! Anybody else take the plunge??

Donna

10 years ago

Sure hope that they wait to ship til the entire nation isn't freezing!
    K

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

I ordered two and they changed my order to one plus Violetta. I will see when they arrive.
    Maida

10 years ago

Oh NO!! Don't tell me they're out already!!!!! I'll scream if they change my order!!! When did you place your order??

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

My order came with both RM bulbs so they are not sold out. The two bulbs were small compared to the others. The others were huge. Can't wait to see them bloom.
    Maida

10 years ago

What others did you order? Where in TX do you live maida?
    K Spring, TX

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

I ordered Pink Nymph, Temptation and Violetta with the Ruby Meyer. I live in Pearland just south of you.

• johnsonm08
    10 years ago

I've been trying to get RM as well-- M&z always sells it by this name, but for at least the last 3 years it has turned out to be Jungle Star.
    Mike

10 years ago

Three years In a row!! Well that will make some folks unhappy but I've been trying to get a Jungle Star for years! Now if only they just don't come frozen!! I emailed them last night asking if they would hold off sending them for a week or two so they wouldn't have to travel through the frozen tundra..haven't heard from them yet...

Donna

10 years ago

When I spoke with them yesterday, they were trying to get all the orders out the door. She said that they are near the end of their shipping season. They are in Wisconsin and really cold...
    K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 11:50

• johnsonm08
    10 years ago

This morning in Wis. 1 1/2 hrs from their warehouse......
    Frozen Tundra Mike

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Lol Frozen Tundra Mike and Brrrrrrrrr!!
    -J

10 years ago

Jeeez they'll probably be frozen before they leave the warehouse!! How are they on customer service?? Do they issue refunds or credit without a battle??

Stay warm Mike and sure hope you guys don't loose your electricity! Do you have a generator?...Donna

10 years ago

I've never had a problem with them. They offer a credit or refund, with a photo showing damage or mislabeled bloom. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
    K

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh i need to wait with my order until january! Hope, they still sell them. My friend is back in Germany and flies to NY in mid of january, to bring them to me.
    But maybe i have another source! We will see. Ruby Meyer are normally a bit smaller bulbs Maida! Maybe they are right!
    Good luck!

10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Well my Ruby Meyers arrived today and so far they look OK. I'm wondering how long it will take to show if there has been any freeze damage. Where would it show up first.. around the neck?

The bulbs are pretty good sized, not small by any means and not large so I wouldn't be surprised if they are Jungle Stars but at this point I really don't care as long as they're OK.

Anyone else order these during this freeze other than Kristi and me?

Donna

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Donna,
    I don't know specifically about amaryllis bulbs, but for frost-sensitive plant tissues usually it is immediate. By the time the tissues thaw it is already obvious. This year I planted a bulb of 'Amigo' with the bulb completely exposed to see how it fares this winter. We have already had several nights in the mid 20's and it seems fine.

Bill

10 years ago

Thanks for the encouraging words! If these bulbs look OK tomorrow morning then I'll feel like I've dodged a freezing bullit!!

10 years ago

When I got some frozen cybisters, they were shocking PINK!
    K

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Donna i am envious! Cross my fingers they are not mislabeled!

• orchids_grower_1946
    10 years ago

Dear Frank you are suppose to have this two hippeastrum,
    mocca and melfi,is it trough?
    I would two have both of us even if they ther are bulblets.
    Orchid grower 1046

10 years ago

I can speak with authority about frozen bulbs⦠I could smell them before I opened the box. By tomorrow they will be mush...

I'm not worried. They'll credit my card.
    K

10 years ago

OH NO!! You mean your Ruby Meyers came frozen?? I can't imagine how mine survived; maybe because FedEx delivered mine to the P.O. to save on postage instead of delivering directly to the house. Were yours delivered to your office or your home? I guess I really did dodge a bullet on this one!! Sorry......:-(

10 years ago

They didn't freeze at my house. They froze on route.
    They were delivered to my door at 8 AM and the postman rang the bell. It was in the 40s here.

10 years ago

Anatomy of a frozen bulb... No crisp layers. Peeling is futile!! In the trash it goes.
    :-(
    K

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Poor bulb! Thatôs a pitty!

10 years ago

I hope the photo shows how wet it is inside. I think all the cell walls burst when it froze and thawed. You know you could never just pull apart a crisp (healthy) bulb like that!

Another bulb that I thought could be saved started oozing white foam last night....the last little bulb is still firm (H. Giraffe); I don't know how that's possible as it was in the same box, but it must have had a good spot that was a bit insulated.
    K

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Perhaps H Giraffe has greater cold tolerance?

This spring I planted leftover seed from my crosses in various locations in my garden. The leaves of most seedlings were killed after the first hard frost, but the leaves of one set of seedling are still going strong despite some nights in the low or mid 20's F. They are not in a well protected location, and are in fact in one of the more exposed locations. What is the cross? Unfortunately, in my records it is "Bogota X Bogota (?)". I do not remember why I was uncertain about the parentage, but I think I got distracted when pollinating and forgot to label the flower immediately.

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Ouch! Sorry about your cooked bulbs Kristi! I hate it when that happens and yes I likewise can smell something "yucky" right when I open a box of amaryllis bulbs.

Donna...That bulb shape looks quite familiar.

Hope you all get what you're wishing for. It's Christmas anyway! Ho! Ho! Ho!

10 years ago

Yes...It looks like a Lima doesn't it!!! Well I'm hoping for a Jungle Star at the very least!!! At least mine didn't get frosted!!

Donna

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i did get my christmas present yesterday! Found a women in the web, did grow a ruby meyer several years in Austria and wanted to reduce her collection a bit. She did send me a nice egg sized healthy dormant bulb. Hope, i can bring her to flower in the next time:-)
    Merry Christmas to You all!

10 years ago

Good for you Frank, you are probably the only one who will end up with the real thing!! Can't wait to see her picture when she blooms!!

Donna

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got my Ruby Meyer 22. of December. She is growing leafs and a small bud shows, that she will flower, but she is doomed! Mosaic- virus! I whant cry!
    How are Yours?

10 years ago

Oh Frank, I'm so sorry! I know how long you've been waiting for one! Rather mean to downsize one's collection and give away virused bulbs.

Well, I took a good look at mine and they are doing fine; no leaves but they are putting out a few roots and lots of offsets! The bulbs are firm and there is no sign of rot anywhere so why would they be so bent on producing so many offsets? Is this a trait of Ruby Meyers or maybe a trait of Jungle Star? I don't think it's Lima because my Limas never behaved like this even though there are one or two small offsets on the larger one.

I'm still suspicious that these may not be Ruby Meyer but what ever it is it's a cybister of some sort I'm sure.

They aren't as large as they look, they are in 4 1/4 " diameter pots

If these do turn out to be Ruby Meyers and when the offsets grow large enough I'll send you a couple!

Donna

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Frank,
    I am sorry to hear about the virus. But this raises a question for me. How reliably can we determine the presence of mosaic virus in young leaves? The most unquestionable cases of MV that I have encountered have been in mature leaves in summer when the symptoms seem unmistakable. I know that infected young leaves growing indoors often do not show signs of MV, but I would like to know if young, indoor leaves EVER show unquestionable signs of MV. I am currently dealing with a questionable case for a bulb of Sweet Lilian. I mentioned this bulb in an earlier post because it declined in size over the summer. The new leaves this year appeared to have mosaic virus. The old leaves from last year had absolutely no sign of virus despite spending the summer in the sun, so I could not believe that the virus suddenly appeared during dormancy. In the new leaves the mottling became less apparent as the leaves aged (which seems atypical for MV), and then started to develop red spots and streaks, so I suspected mites. Anyway, I gave it a hot water treatment, and now I am waiting to see what happens. Am I in denial?
    Incidentally, in less than a week after its hot bath, the bulb started sending up two scapes. I was not expecting to see flowers from it this year, so at least I will get to enjoy one last show if I need to destroy the plant.

Bill

10 years ago

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but of course we all had our doubts about these Ruby Meyers bulbs..
    It looks suspiciously like Rio Negro wouldn't you say and a poor one at that!!

Donna

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions