Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

ID for a gorgeous bud maybe Exotica????

Good Morning,

It's 40 degrees and the sun is shining and the temperatures are rising...and the snow is melting (a little) gonna be a gorgeous day!

I have this huge bulb that I bought last year, as Giraffe, it's obviously not Giraffe, and it didn't bloom last year, the bud started and then it aborted. This year the scape is well on its way, but it does have some problems, I think it has an insect problem, there is actually a hole in the scape, but it doesn't seem to be affecting the buds (yet). I'm thinking it might be Exotica, but the pigment keeps getting darker, it's a dark coppery pink 6 flowers, gonna be a beauty whatever it is, just wanted an opinion on what you think it might be before it opens...the bud has lots of swirly tendrils which gives it an "Exotic" look(maybe that's why they named it Exotica) Thanks,

Donna

{{gwi:381954}}

I'll post pictures when it opens.....

Comments (13)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Here's my Exotica from last year...recall that the colors were "amazing". We all thought the cold winter really benefited our blooms. With yours being even darker, I'm doubting the Exotica possibility!
    Kristi

{{gwi:381956}}

• mariava7
    13 years ago

I agree with Kristi. Donna, it looks too dark/reddish and Exotica gives 4 flowers/scape (average). I have not seen one with 6.

This one has the closest color to "copper" in the collection which I have given this name...

Copper Queen
    {{gwi:381957}}

{{gwi:381958}}

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Gals, Now the suspense is killing me, I wonder what it could be...Actually Maria, I think I bought it from your "friends" at Auctionerbid...

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

Donna maybe Desire!
    I am not sure. Please show again the open flower!
    Best regards

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Well, my gorgeous head of buds has finally opened and you were right, it's certainly not Exotica, and Frank, I think you may have guessed it,... Desire. Take a look and see what you think..there are 6 flowers..the flowers are 6 1/2" wide and are very flat..the back of the flowers is much lighter with silvery markings and the color out of the sun with natural daylight and with no flash is a salmon orange with a cherry throat..with lighter midribs. It's very pretty. Any other thoughts on what it might be other that Desire..? (I purchased it as Giraffe) Thanks,

Donna

{{gwi:381959}}

{{gwi:381960}}

{{gwi:381961}}

• tiarella
    13 years ago

I had a Dessire bloom earlier and it was a deep salmon color without pink midribs. I think it will be one of my favs because it was a beautiful color and it lasted a really long time.

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Rilona

Original Author
    13 years ago

Maria, Can you or someone post a picture of Rilona that looks like mine above..?

Tiarella, Can you post a picture of yours also, your description sounds just like mine, with the pink midribs...

I really would like to get this one right, it is really beautiful...

Thanks,

Donna

• drgulley
    13 years ago

Just Beautiful!!!!!!! :O)

Dianne

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi,

I decided to search further Desire and Rilona on the Internet and on the Taiwanese website they have pictures of Desire with a white stigma, and they have pictures of Rilona with a purple stigma. So then I went to Emaryllis' site and he also has pictures of Desire with a white stigma and Rilona with purple stigmas. My stigmas are white so I guess I will stick with Desire. Now, all of you go check you pictures for the stigmas and see if your Rilonas are purple.. Now, I still think my pictures are more salmon than the ones I looked at, but I took them with no flash, as with the flash the salmon turns orange and the pink midribs don't really show...thanks for your help

Donna

here is the picture from the Taiwanese website showing the purple stigma. On another note.. I also learned on Emarillys' site that you can tell the difference between Faro and Flair (when they tend to look alike) by the purple stigma on Flair....:-)

{{gwi:381962}}

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

I was thinking that the bloom I bought from WalMart last year was Rilona (clearly not the Orange Sovereign it was marked)but it seems a lot lighter than yours and has no purple stigma either. I'll have to see what it looks like when it blooms this year...
    {{gwi:381963}}From garden web 2

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

Here is a link to a good pic of Rilona

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:381951}}

• dangles
    12 years ago

i just love the colour of your copper queen is it one of your own seedlings happy growing danny

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions
More Discussions