Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Poor Mrs. Garfield

Posted by dondeldux 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 9:12

Woe is me!! My poor Mrs. Garfield who was so generously given to me by someone on this forum was rotting. I noticed about a month ago that the leaves had turned yellow and died so I though she just wanted a nap for a month or so..I was so wrong!

I've done my best to clean her up and after thoroughly drying I will give her another chance. There was a bit of the basal plate left with a few roots and no, this was not the work of a NBF.

Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Poor Mrs. Garfield

OH NO!!! Keep an eye and worst case...you do some slicing and try to get a couple offsets from that piece. SO SORRY!!
K

o

So sorry to hear about Mrs. Garfield did she just start rotting from the inside out? At least there's a little bit of the basal plate left, let's keep our fingers crossed for some offsets

o

Hi Donna,

You poor thing. There's nothing more heart breaking then a special plant the goes the way of the Dodo. I wonder if this is a common issue with Mrs. Garfield? I have a pot of them that are just growing, but not thriving or flowering. Maybe this is just a weak hybrid? How are you growing yours?

Warm Regards,
Fred

o

Donna,
Of course very sorry, but I was even worse - bulb obtained from Thailand, planted by all the rules,
two years failed to take root. Retiсulatum hybrids until take root very difficult to grow. But your bulb still gives hope, try to dry well the wounds and again rooting. They are easy to form the bulblets.
Good luck!

o

The only thing I can attribute this to is too much water. I will admit that I top watered this as it was doing so well. I've had this bulb for more than a year and it rooted well and had a few lovely leaves.

I have a pot full of reticulatum var striatifolium and they are doing great (if I dare say it). This winter I have been bottom watering only but in the more warm and humid summer I had been top watering.

Oh well, we do the best we can and sometimes we loose...

Donna

Here she was in her full glory and I will attempt to bring her back but she looks pretty dismal right about now.

o

Yikes. I'm sorry to hear that! :(

o

I have a Mrs. Garfield that I am overwintering under lights. I was wondering if it is necessary to let it go dormant? It is slowly growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here