Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippifan

make a klister

hippifan
12 years ago

I have a bulb with a 'daughter'. Is it possible to let it grow and have a klister of bulbs? I saw it somewhere on the forum.

I showed this photo earlier I believe, but this is the bulb.

{{gwi:382074}}

Comments (8)

• haweha
    12 years ago

I perceive but one Daughter bulb there. Furthermore, the "mother" bulb appears rather old, concluding from the thickened Basal Plate, and older bulbs are not as likely to produce numerous further Daughter bulbs in a due time, particularly not SEVERAL pups together, which would then qualify the whole as a "Cluster". It would be more rewarding to separate the Daughter bulb and, to hope that it will produce some bulblets while it matures to ability of producing the first scape. HOWEVER! There is some Cultivars that pretty much abstain from producing Daughters. In the first place, the typical "Dutch" TETraploid cultivars with big flowers. I actually possess one "Red Pearl" - not a single little pup after 4 seasons!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Hi Hippifan,

This is what I would expect if you were going to have a "klister" of bulbs..I don't think that's where you're headed with this one..but, I have many pots with 2 or three offsets still growing around the mother bulb, but, sometimes this is detrimental to the bulb in the center and sometimes not..
    Since you already have it out of the pot anyway, you can pull it away from the mothers bulb as it appears to have it's own roots, and replant it next to the mother bulb, it's always nice when there are more than one bulb of the same kind in a pot, or you can give it to someone!!

Hans, I too have a 4 year old Red Pearl and not an offset in sight..also I have several Lady Janes and for the first time it appears I have a bulblet on one of those..3 ro 4 year old bulbs also..
    Donna

{{gwi:382075}}

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Would this be a case where thinning the basal plate might revitalize the bulb....? Like a face lift for Hippis!?
    :-)
    Kristi

• hippifan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, what I mean is this, look at the link and than especially the second message of mariava7.

Here is a link that might be useful: H. Lovely Garden

• blancawing
    12 years ago

Greetings Hippifan,

In Maria's post, she was specifically discussing the Dutch Bloeiende Klisters (i.e., 'Lovely Garden' and 'Supreme Garden') developed by Cathy Osselton from South American Hippeastrum species.

Some of my South African and Dutch bred Sonatinis multiply rapidly as do a number of my Cybister hybrids and a few other random hybrids. However, the majority of the hybrids in my collection do not form klisters, which can also simply be referred to as clusters of offsets.

I agree with Donna that your bulb doesn't appear to be likely to develop into a klister. After reading the thread, I would love to learn what Hans thinks of Kristi's suggestion of slicing (cutting down) the mother bulb's basal plate to rejuvenate the bulb (after first separating the daughter bulb). Although it can be nerve-racking the first time you do it, this technique has successfully brought new vigor to many of my old bulbs whose performance had declined.

Cheers,

Blanca

• haweha
    12 years ago

This method is suggested by Veronica Read, in her book. I have no experience with it, yet. I would give it a try before discarding an "insanely" old bulb. I would at least treat with charcoal powder afterwards, but I assume that a KMnO4 solution of 0.3 g/L would be still better, in order to disinfect the wound, before I let it dry for some days, then replant. I would probably do this at the END of a season though, then store the bulb dry, until new growth spontaneously emerges.

• hippifan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your replies! Now I understand why it will not develop into a klister. Perhaps I can try it with my seedlings or with the daughterbulb. If somebody is going to try slicing the bulb's basal plate, I'd love to see some photo's and a story! ;-)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I wouldn't count on your daughter bulb growing in a cluster, but many many times for some reason seedling bulbs have the propensity for growing in clusters..I have many and I don't know why..I've not brought any to bloom yet, but hopefully in the near future I will. I have 3 bulbs Limona x Giraffe and to look at the pot you'd think there were 15 bulb (albiet small) in that pot. Now Giraffe is one that grows in clusters..that's Giraffe's picture up above. Now what I don't know yet is whether or not the bulblets have smothered or killed the tiny mother bulb..I will have to take a look this spring.

Donna

Sponsored
More Discussions