Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No babies

Posted by brigarif Lahore Pakistan (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 6, 11 at 9:34

This LADY JANE bulb is with me for the last 8 years.
It has maintained good health, rewards me with a nice bloom but has not produced a single BABY. I think the lady is selfish.
Photobucket
Should I give her a few cuts on the basal plate? Any other suggestions?
Arif

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No babies

I have tried cutting the basal plates but the result was not very encouraging. However, Cutting the bulb in eight or sixteen slices has always been a success.

o

• Posted by gmwill 5 Northern IL (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 6, 11 at 23:50

Interesting thought. I cut one of my supposed "Magic Green" during 2008-2009 season. Don't quite remember which month and actually gave up the hope initially. I buried the cut bulb (about 16 cut, or more because of my own clumsiness) in soil, watered it, tried to attend it initially, and saw it getting worse and worse the first 5-6 weeks. Then I actually gave up and let it be. Then one day, before the winter ended, I decided to recycle that ruined pot and was pleaatly surpised to see new growth came out of it. Today, I have two resonable sized young bulbs plus may be 10 smaller bulbs. I am hoping over this coming summer, fall and planned resting, the two primising ones would actually bloom.

As of encouraging new offsets from a parent bulb, it is still somewhat a mystory for me. Of the two more promising ones, one of them actually has an offset already all by itself. I have not even repotted it since I potted it up at the beggining of the 2009-10 winter.

Good Luck,

-GM

o

I have repotted it along with 7 others in a big pot,as they say one bird in hand is better than two in the bush.

o

• Posted by gmwill 5 Northern IL (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 7, 11 at 7:53

;) Did I mention 2008-09 was when I acquired my first few bulbs ever? This operation was performed on the fourth/fifth bulb I acquired as a pair. -GM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here