Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mosaic virus symptoms in flowers?

Posted by Macroclemys 7b (NC) (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 10:01

Does anyone have experience with the symptoms of MV in flowers? All the flowers on the third scape of my Monaco have these white blotches, but there are no such markings on the back of the tepals. And the the markings do not have the blocky look of MV on leaves. Is this MV?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mosaic virus symptoms in flowers?

I had this happen to my one pot of Pink Diamonds about 2 years ago; one flower opened like yours above. No suspect marks on any of my leaves though so I kept it isolated during the summer in a far corner of the yard and all the leaves were still pristine. A few months ago it bloomed again with 4 stalks from my 2 bulbs (only 2 flowers per scape) and all the flowers were perfect.

I wouldn't panic just yet but you might keep your plant separated from your others until you grow it out this summer as I'm sure you already know that it's the hot sun that brings the virus out on the leaves.

Strangely enough I have never had an afflicted flower on any of my obviously virused plants.

As of this fall of my virused bulbs except 2 were planted in the ground for the winter for the first time. I picked a great year to try this didn't I?? Hopefully the 6 to 8 inches of mulch and the stone wall they are planted in front of will protect them from freezing.

If you research virused bulbs and color changes in the flowers on this forum you will find several conflicting views on this subject so this is just my experience with virused bulbs and I've have had many of them!

Donna

o

Thanks Donna,
I will keep it isolated, just in case.
Bill

o

I guess it is the job of thrips (taeniotrips) - it bugs, they jump and fly. They damage the flowers and cause the appearance of such spots.

o

I think they also can work their way into the bud prior to the bloom unfurling and do their damage.
K

o

I'll take thrips over virus any day!

o

This is understandable. :)) But thrips - this is one of the main transporters of viruses.

This post was edited by oleg9grower on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 21:55

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here