Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Here comes Santos!!

Hi Everyone,

I received this gorgeous huge bulb of Santos, one of the largest bulbs I've ever had, take a look and I don't have small hands! I'm quite excited about this one...

{{gwi:382415}}

As soon as it was planted it immediately started to sprout with those lovely faintly striped leaves. This one is no mislabel imagine that!!

{{gwi:382416}}

and then shortly, 2 sturdy bronze colored buds emerged from a totally neckless bulb! I was amazed that this bulb had absolutely no neck, lets see if it develops one.

{{gwi:382417}}

I imagine some of you also got a Santos from Royal Colors; for me via a friend from Royal Colors so, how are yours doing??

Donna

Comments (27)

• lenanen
    10 years ago

Wow that is one huge healthy looking bulb, congratulations Donna!!!

I decided to pass this time, a decision I will sorely regret I fear...

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

RC had sold out by the time I got around to ordering. I do hope that these will be available next year!!
    K

• mariehass
    10 years ago

Lovely. What a huge bulb!!!

Looking forward to seeing its progress.

Marie

• berkeleysgr8
    10 years ago

That is a HUGE bulb! I can't wait to see the open blooms! -Tina

• yellowfingers
    10 years ago

Wow what is the diameter on that thing. It is HUGE

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The diameter is 4 inches!! I did my best to measure it in the pot and it's a solid 4 inches maybe a smidge larger!!

• fishing_dentist
    10 years ago

what a huge Santos! Congrats to that!
    From RC Donna?
    I have ordered 2 of them and get them in March. Hope, they come in the same conditions.
    Lots of greets!

Original Author
    10 years ago

She's coming along nicely and yes Frank this is from RC. Hope your two bulbs look as healthy as mine!

Donna

• mariava7
    10 years ago

I love Santos! Exciting times ahead Donna!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful salmon colored buds and emerging flowers with heavy veining....

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

drum roll please.....

• mariehass
    10 years ago

Wow, wow and wow!!!!! Can't wait to see the flowers!

Marie

Original Author
    10 years ago

We're taking our sweet time! The color is a brick red with some tones of orange and dark pink; it will be interesting to see what color she finally settles into as I thought she was going to be orange from most of the pictures I've seen. I'm intrigued.

Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, we're ready for our drum roll please âªâªâ«â«âªâªâ«â«!!

I am sooo pleased with this bulb!! Its bright beautiful flowers with gorgeous leaves and it's acting like all new bulbs should although we very rarely see this kind of performance on an old bulb let alone a new bulb! I also love the color, it's not orange as I thought but an red with orange and in the evening low light the flowers look cranberry colored with those white stripes that just pop!!

{{gwi:382418}}

{{gwi:382419}}

{{gwi:382420}}

{{gwi:382421}}

gorgeous leaves

{{gwi:382422}}

back of the flower is lovely too

{{gwi:382423}}

Sorry for all the pictures, I just couldn't stop myself!! There is a 3rd fat bud emerging from the center of the leaves also.
    I will most definitely, if possible, buy another one or two of these next year. I can't imaging why they would discontinue such a beautiful performer. Now perhaps I'll have trouble growing this on but with the roots that came with it and a nice crop of leaves I can't imagine why. Needless to say this one will be staying inside for the summer, no Narcissus Bulb Fly is going to take up residence in this baby!!

Thanks for looking!!

Donna

And I should add that a special friend sent me this bulb, you know who you are so many thanks again!!

This post was edited by dondeldux on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 11:22

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Very nice Donna. I don't see the orange. It's a very pretty color.
    Kristi

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Donna,
    Your pictures do a much better job of selling Santos than the RC page does. They make me wish that I had chosen to buy it...

• mariehass
    10 years ago

Donna,

Santos looks just yummy. Your pictures certainly show it off to the best advantage.

Bright and beautiful.

Marie

• hippiezep
    10 years ago

well worth the anticipation

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

The neat thing about Santos is that it passes on the leaf variegation to it's babies. Well worth using in a breeding program.
    Maida

• haweha
    10 years ago

Congratulations Donna,
    and thank you for your documentation!
    The flowers unite in them, in order to, at least, attempt a moot comparison, the beauty of "Baby Star" and "Fairy Tale" - the color profile appears much more dramatic though WOW! Now I shall have to keep this in mind and order "Santos" next season. I wonder whether it is a DIP or a TET...

• salpal
    10 years ago

I quess DIP as I have successfully crossed Santos with ES and with Amputo... Very nice pictures Donna, I don't remember my long lost Santos being that beautiful!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Santos and I thank you for all your positive comments!! One thing I forgot to mention is that the flowers were barely 4" across. Good to hear that the striped leaf trait passes on too!

I have started to pollinate a few of the flowers that appear to be ready although nothing appears to have taken yet. I've selfed 2 and 2 x papilio, 1 x Autumn Pink/Rose Lady and the next one that is ready will receive Exotic Star.

I was encouraged to hear that Santos is capable of setting seedpods as I've been having a record number of failures this season and a few of my questionable seeds aren't germinating. I guess it doesn't really matter as I have hundreds of seedlings growing from last year that I don't know what I will do with!

My biggest success this season was my very first cross of aulicum (Telos) x papilio; which are growing great!

Donna

These will be the last I promise!

{{gwi:382424}}

{{gwi:382426}}

{{gwi:382428}}

• haweha
    10 years ago

Thank you Donna!
    Btw, the Filaments are RED. I find this interesting, because those Hippeastrums I know, which have a white center in their bloom (even if a dark red ring is present there as is in "Minerva" and "Gilmar") generally have WHITE Filaments in them. Everybody can look this up for, examples, "Baby Star", "Fairy Tale", "Minerva", Gilmar" in order to name a few...

• Calvin Ragoonanan
    10 years ago

Nice! It was certainly worth the anticipation.

My blog - http://trinigarden.blogspot.com/

• salpal
    10 years ago

Donna, finally I have a bloom on my Amputo X Santos planted 8/2008! I will assume the long wait is mainly due to my poor husbandry and leave it as that. I will try get a pic. As it is 2 flowers, 1 very poor, the other looks exactly what you would expect: white gracilis X santos. looks like santos but small trumpet. Sadly, no fragrance.Leaves look like Santos with the stripes.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't wait to see your hybrid! I think it's exciting that Santos is generous with her striped leaf genes. I have an almost ready pod of Autumn Pink Lady x Santos both which have striped leaves!! I did another of this cross on the second scape and that one seems to be growing too. Hopefully, if I get enough seeds I will be able to share some.

Donna

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions