Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georg_e_vergreen

The first flower from Japan

georg_e_vergreen
10 years ago

Hi guys! well...this is my first Komoriya�s bulb with flowers. Autumn Pink Lady, 4 flowers for scape. Is pretty! :D...but, no roots, no leaves hahaha :(

This post was edited by GEORG-E-VERGREEN on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 12:11

Comments (44)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Hi George, she's very cute but she looks an awful lot like Autumn ROSE Lady that we have posted pictures of on the "Pretty Flower" thread. Have you been reading that thread and what do you think about the pictures; do you think they look like yours?

Agapanthe and I think that ours don't really match the Komoriya's picture of Autumn Rose Lady...hmmm???

Is there any chance you could post a few more picture of your flower?? If we got Pink Lady instead of Rose Lady that's not the end of the world, but we paid $50 a piece for ours and Pink Lady is only selling for $20 a bulb!! I surely wouldn't like to think that I left $60 on the table for the wrong bulbs!!

Does anyone else out there have an Autumn Pink Lady that has bloomed?? (or a Rose Lady??)

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 13:03

• georg_e_vergreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Donna, I think the difference is in the tone of pink. Autumn Pink Lady is a lighter shade. Autumn Rose Lady is a more saturated tone. Maybe here is saturated optical effects, but it is much clearer. i will look for other photos! Wait!i think that this is Pink Lady, Rose is more strong in color...and in price! LOL.

This post was edited by GEORG-E-VERGREEN on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 14:12

• georg_e_vergreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

other...

• georg_e_vergreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

...and other more

• georg_e_vergreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've seen the pictures you mention, I can tell you that my flower is much clearer in person, the pictures turned out very saturated as it is a problem of my camera. compared with those of Pretty Flowers, I venture to think that these are indeed Rose Lady

10 years ago

Hi George,

Thanks for posting more pictures of your flowers but it is still unclear to me if yours is a match to the others or not. The color of yours does seem a bit lighter but as you say it might just be your camera. Maybe you got the best deal yet, an Autumn Rose Lady for $20 when the last ones sold for $60!!??

Donna

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Hello George,

Would you please let us know the colors of your Autumn Pink Lady's filaments, styles, and stigma? These subtleties are difficult to discern in photos. For example, I think that your flowerâÂÂs styles and stigma may have tiny pink dots. Do my eyes deceive me?

Many thanks and best regards,

Blanca

Hola George,

ÿPodrías por favor avisarnos de los colores de los filamentos, estilos y del estigma de tu Dama Otoño Rosado? Estas sutilezas son difíciles de discernir en las fotos. Por ejemplo, creo que los estilos y el estigma de tu flor pueden tener puntos diminutos de color rosa. ÿMis ojos me engañan?

Muchísimas gracias y saludos cordiales,

Blanca

This post was edited by blancawing on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 3:31

• mitsukiwi
    10 years ago

Hi Donna,
    I have a scape coming on my Autumn Pink Lady. I will post when it gets a little further along. Also have an Evening Butterfly putting up a nice scape. Both have rooted so I guess I am lucky. I haven't had them very long either.

George, do you think your Autumn Pink Lady looks like the picture he had up? And,,,What is that other scape I see in the bottom right of your first picture? It looks just like my Evening Butterfly.

I can't wait to see what I have.

Regards,

Nancy

10 years ago

Hi Nancy,

That is great news that you have an Autumn Pink Lady about to bloom so hopefully you will be able to take some close-ups of your flowers and we might be able to determine what if any differences there are between George's and Beatrice's and my flowers!

I can't wait to see your Evening Butterfly also, I have one that is quite well rooted with just 2 leaves but no sign of any flowers yet.

Thanks for your help....Donna

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

My Evening Butterfly has two nice big scapes, but also no roots. Can't wait for my next order to see if they now have roots. They should be here any day now.
    Maida

• georg_e_vergreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ Donna, the color is very light and thin. I should use the other camera as it saturates the color too, so at least imagine it with half tone you see here. It cost me 25 dlls, Autumn Rose was 60 dlls! .. I still think the photos you mention correspond to Autumn Rose.

@ Blanca, actually have a slight pink color from the middle! Many greetings to you, you are always so kind!

@ Nancy, the other floral stem corresponds to Trumpet Rouge ... just down one side of it is a Papilio bulb with 2 growing floral stem. To the left is one of 2 floral steam of Exotic Star.
    I also have a Evening Butterfly with 2 floral stem but not in the photo, Little Child with 2, Exotica with 2, Yellow Gorgeous (almost die 2 bulbs) with 1, Bogota and Suamtra with 1 ... most Komoriyas.Most continue without root and flower sticks are slow to grow by not having nutrients and water in the absence of the root. I bought hormone gel, CLONEX ... I scraped some of the basal plate and place gel ... I hope that helps.

This post was edited by GEORG-E-VERGREEN on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 11:29

10 years ago

George, If you say that your color is weak and light than we probably do have what we bought, Autumn Rose Lady. The color on mine is quite saturated so I guess I am satisfied that at least we didn't pay $50 for a $20 bulb! I guess this was much ado about nothing.

You have quite a line-up of beauties about to bloom and I can't wait to see your pictures, especially the Komoriya blooms! You must be doing something right!!

Maida I can't wait to see your Evening Butterfly as well as Georges and even thought you don't have any roots I'm sure the blooms will be fine and can't wait to see them! I had a Lemon Gold bloom for me many months ago with no roots and the flowers were just lovely!

Thanks to all of you who have helped and are still helping to ferret out this latest mystery of why our Autumn Rose Ladies don't match the picture on Komoriya's website!

Donna

• georg_e_vergreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Donna, I discovered something ... I think it's pretty obvious ... but they use very saturated photos so they look beautiful ... it comes to selling a product so you have to present it in the best way that's at the site of eBay page ... but I found them in Japan and there are more natural photo and you can see the original colors!

10 years ago

Thanks George but they look the same to me, maybe it's my computer...

• georg_e_vergreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, another way is to wait for the leaves because the difference is very noticeable. Autumn Rose has very distinct stripes and Pink Autumn does not.

• georg_e_vergreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Autumn Pink:

• georg_e_vergreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

...and I think the most obvious is that Autumn Rose has no white stripes on the center petals and Pink Autumn have it lines

This post was edited by GEORG-E-VERGREEN on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 17:01

• mitsukiwi
    10 years ago

It's getting close, finally. Autumn Pink Lady is beginning to open and I am so excited!

{{gwi:383005}}

Also opening is Evening Butterfly.

{{gwi:383006}}

I also have scapes on Shiroi Harukaze, Hatsukoi Mitai, 2 on Himegimi Mitai and even one on the Papilio that I ordered from him. I really love the Papilios and have a hard time passing any up from different places.

10 years ago

Lucky you Nancy!! Yours should be the best flower of Autumn Pink Lady yet as you have roots!! Your Evening Butterfly looks great too, you are obviously doing something right or you just lucked out and got good healthy bulbs! Either way I'm very happy for you!

Make sure you save your Lady's pollen for further use, papilio comes to mind.;-). I tried selfing 2 blossoms but they failed but I have seen another picture from someone else on this forum and their selfs look great so far so don't hesitate to try. Who knows on a rooted bulb you probably will have success, mine has no roots.

Keep us posted with pictures of these two bulbs as they get near to blooming as well as the others that will bloom for you soon!

The other day I did find a bud poking up on a rooted Miss Lemon!!

Donna

• mitsukiwi
    10 years ago

Thanks Donna! I can't wait to see your Miss Lemon! I love looking at everyone's pictures!

In the meantime, here is the next update:

Autumn Pink Lady

{{gwi:383007}}

and the fully opened Evening Butterfly. I love it!

{{gwi:383008}}

Other flower

{{gwi:383009}}

What do you think about trying to cross with Giraffe? I have one blooming right now. Also Evergreen and Sweet Lillian blooming. I just missed Exotic Star and it's too soon for the Papilio . Any thoughts or even suggestions for others later?

Thanks all!

Nancy

10 years ago

Bravo for your Evening Butterfly!! This is a lovely cybister isn't it? I've seen several pictures of people's blooms of this variety and they are always beautiful as is yours! Mine isn't going to bloom anytime soon but I do have some gifted pollen that I am waiting to use on Exotic Star which should be blooming in a few weeks. I also have some pollen from my Midnight Tag but so far nothing has taken using Midnight Tag.

I think all of your possible choices for partners might take and I see you haven't removed the pollen yet. If you do choose to pollinate on Evening Butterfly you can cover the stigma with a piece of cut straw while you remove the pollen.
    What I also do when removing pollen sacs that have already opened from a flower that I wish to pollinate on is, after I remove the straw I stick the stigma (which is still in its hanging position) in some water to wash away any single grain of pollen that might have settled on the stigma. It dries very soon and I don't know if this helps but it's my own little method.

I can't wait to see your Autumn Pink Lady to see how it matches up the pictures that already been posted...Donna

• agapanthe64
    10 years ago

I ordered Bipapilio last year , but it is the first bloom for me :
    {{gwi:383010}}
    {{gwi:383011}}

Nancy , your Evenig butterfly is lovely , and I can't wait to see your Pink Lady , I selfed mine , for the moment the pod is OK.

• mitsukiwi
    10 years ago

Those are really nice pictures of your bipapilio agapanthe. Thank you for posting them. I have that one also and while it is growing very nicely, I don't think I am going to see any flower this year. I was surprised how large the bulb was that I received, especially after hearing others with their concern for the small bulbs. I really like the look of that flower and now I want mine to hurry up and bloom.

One of four flowers on Autumn Pink Lady is blooming now so here she is. I'm not so sure I am crazy about her though. She looks a little messy to me...like someone crumpled some of the petals before it opened. I noticed that on George's too though. I like frilled ones but this doesn't look frilly to me...just crumpled. There was no damage previously that I noticed. Maybe the next time will be better.

{{gwi:383012}}

{{gwi:383013}}

{{gwi:383014}}

{{gwi:383015}}

What do you think of this compared to Komoriya's picture?

Also, here is the current picture of Evening Butterfly. Donna, I removed & saved the pollen and hope to use it on the Papilio when it blooms. I like this one more than ever now even though there were only two flowers.

{{gwi:383016}}

I hope everyone else posts pictures of their Komoriya flowers so we know what they really look like. Actually, I love seeing any and all pictures.

10 years ago

I guess it's safe to say that Evening Butterfly is a winner!!
    As for Autumn Pink Lady, the jury is still out.

My first two flowers even though they did not match the photos for Autumn 'Rose' Lady were pretty with a nice shape and a pleasing color. The 3rd flower on this same bulb looks just like yours and Georges pictures of Autumn 'Pink' Lady and so I sent this picture to the folks at Komoriya and they wrote back agreeing that it was a mislabel and graciously refunded my money! Now obviously you got what you ordered. I am surprised that your bulb is so (as you say) messy as being well rooted with 4 flowers and not under any stress I would have thought your flowers would have been the best! Now maybe as time goes on they will change a bit (mine did) and become more pleasing to you.

Here is my bulb bought as Autumn Rose Lady that was really a Pink Lady.

This is the one I was pleased with:

{{gwi:375736}}

and the one that looks just like Pink Lady that made me write to them thinking that it looked just like Pink Lady;

{{gwi:383017}}

By now everyone is probably hopelessly confused! I do think your pictures and my picture of flower # 3 do match Komoriya's picture of Autumn Pink Lady.

So, we shall have to see what other mysteries and surprises await us concerning these bulbs!!

I have a bud poking out of Piyo Piyo!!

{{gwi:383018}}

Donna

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Oh Donna,

I am so happy that your 'Piyo-Piyo' is going to flower - Yippee!!!

To my eyes, the flowers produced by your 'Autumn ? Ladies' are more attractive and have better form than those produced by George's or Maida's bulbs. Hopefully, the quality of their blooms will improve when they bloom again.

Whatever the actual identity of the bulbs you received, they are quite lovely.

-Blanca

• agapanthe64
    10 years ago

Minami Jyujisei
    the flowers are quite small , and a dull red , I took a picture with très chic for comparison.
    {{gwi:383019}}
    {{gwi:383020}}
    {{gwi:383021}}

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Ma chère Béatrice,

I am in the midst of another family health crisis right now, but I promise to send you my comments later tonight. Meanwhile, here is Komoriya's photo of Minami Jyujisei for comparison.

Dans l'amitié et solidarité,

Blanca

• georg_e_vergreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tenshi no ekubo!

9 years ago

Hi All,

Just to set the record straight, my Autumn Rose Lady turned out to be an Autumn Pink Lady just like the rest of you correctly got when you ordered Pink Lady. I emailed the folks at Komoriya with the pictures and they agreed that I did get a mislabel and they apologized and did refund my money!! So we all ended up with Pink Lady regardless of what we ordered. Maybe another time...

Mine are rooting but still no leaves so I would be very interested to see some leaves from those of you who have leaves on your Pink Ladies...

Donna

• georg_e_vergreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My autumn pink lady still no leaves too!

• mitsukiwi
    9 years ago

No leaves here either. :(

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    8 years ago

My Autumn Pink Lady is fully rooted and grew lots of leaves over the summer. Now it's putting up a scape, so I guess we'll have another set of blooms by which to judge this bulb.

8 years ago

My APL bud is starting to open. I can see the amazing color, but it's funny, I think it looks crinkled already! Give it a few more days!

• Ray Schuck
    8 years ago

I'd love to see the pictures of your APL. My bulb has grown very large and offset a large bulb, but no scapes.

Maida

8 years ago

Mine has also produced a large offset. The scape was a surprise!

K

• Ray Schuck
    8 years ago

Sometime I think that APL and ARL are select clones of Hippeastrum reticulatum var. striatifolium. Maybe a little Hippeastrum papilio thrown in. September Rose Lady looks like a papilio cross.They have the white stripe down the leaf like reticulatum. Several other varieties of Komoriya have the same stripe. Anyone know why Komoriya has pulled all their bulbs off of eBay?

Maida

8 years ago

OH NO!! (re: K pulling bulbs). Didn't they do that a couple of years ago in order to "treat"?

• Ray Schuck
    8 years ago

I saw an interesting comment on another eBay site that said the seller was limited to ten items for sale in one month. If this is true, that may be why Komoriya is not listing any more.

Maida

• blancawing
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Ray,

I think that this may be just
    a seasonal shift in marketing. In the
    near future, Komoriya will likely focus on selling their Lycoris and Nerine
    cultivars; Hippeastrum species and cultivars should be listed again afterward.

Best,

Blanca

8 years ago

Hope so Blanca, but they sold Hippeastrum well into April and May in the past. If it's 10 items or less, that's very constricting! Hope it's one of those explanations.

• blancawing
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Whatever the cause for the temporary removal, Komoriya just listed 34 Hippeastrum. Happy shopping Ray!

• Ray Schuck
    8 years ago

Yes I see that. There is nothing new and the prices are the same. I hope they will add more as time goes on.

Maida

8 years ago

well that blows both theories!! I just may have to look! Since they started sending bulbs with leaves and roots, I've had much better luck!