Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
java_j

Estella - any real hope?

java_j
15 years ago

Estella is the sick bulb from EasyToGrow that I think I might not be able to save.

After cutting out a lot, but not all, of the rot and dusting it with sulfur, I let it dry for about a week. Yesterday, I rinsed the sulfur off with warm water, patted it dry and wiped it with a 50% Hydrogen Peroxide mixture.

These pictures show the bulb as it is now:

{{gwi:383069}}

{{gwi:383070}}

My feeling is that there may not be enough life to try and save. I'm not sure that I want to proceed if the bulb is essentially dead.

One idea I had was to soak the roots for a bit. If any plump up and look healthy, it may be a sign of life.

The link at the bottom has pictures of Estella just after surgery. It looked more alive then, but still no encouraging signs of green.

Any thoughts about this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Estella Disaster

Comments (5)

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Well... you won't know unless you try... my thought would be to carefully prop the basal plate and roots in a medium, after soaking the roots in Superthrive. Water the medium carefully and lightly... and give it some bottom heat. A little rooting hormone powder on the roots might spur some growth, too.

Give it a shot... what have you got to lose? I would try, I know that! Keep us informed. Good luck!

Anyone else have further thoughts?

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

I have to agree with Jodi, if you try, you might succeed. If you throw it away, you definitely won't have any chance of success.

Ryan

• haitidoc
    15 years ago

I think there is a pretty good chance it will grow--do as recommended above. But most of the roots look like they are dead. If they are dry, I would pull them off before planting. If dry and dead they will not puff up and wouldn't be a good measure of life in the bulb. The cut areas look like they are closing up nicely. Go for it.

• java_j
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess you are right. What's there to lose except a bit of soil?

Do you recommend that I use vermiculite as the medium or would that retain too much moisture?

I will wait until Tuesday so that I can take it to my office on Wednesday. It is too cold for a sick bulb in my house.

I can also swab the basal plate and the wounded area with Captan before I pot it up. I hope that using Captan after using sulfur (although I did try to rinse the sulfur off) won't hurt it.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I would not use straight vermiculite... it might retain too much moisture... I'm not sure. I would most likely use a porous well-draining medium, and I would take very special care when watering. Be careful not to over pot it, either... it will have a difficult time filling up a large pot with roots right now. I would put it in the smallest pot that it will comfortably fit in. I would also make sure to keep it out of direct sun for a little while, so it can concentrate on growing roots and healing. Bright indirect light would be good. Bottom heat would be marvelous, if at all possible.

So, bright and warm, careful watering, very well-draining medium... and I think using Captan will be fine. I would use it dry, dabbing it on the wound surface with a paintbrush. It wouldn't hurt to dab it all the way around the bulb where it meets the basal plate... this will help prevent any problems in that area. The bulb is super stressed out right now, and has a very low immune system... any help you can give it will be beneficial.

I wish you luck... and if you need further help, we're all right here, ready to answer any questions!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions