Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
eek - frost threatens

Posted by sun_worshiper FL 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 13:07

This so far has been a very mild winter, and my in ground hippis already have bloom stalks up about 6 inches. Nearly a month early! And of course, there is a frost forecast for this weekend=( Any thoughts on protecting the emerging bloom spikes? The bulbs themselves will of course be fine, but don't want to miss a full season of blooms!

I'm thinking about making little piles of pine bark fines up over the bloom stalks to keep the frost off. I don't have enough frost cloth, and in any case, it is hard to secure down because it is likely to be windy too. It seems like trying to cover them with cloth would be more likely to break the stalks than just leaving them alone...

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: eek - frost threatens

We use buckets and upside down trash bins but those might not work for you if it is super windy. You could always put something heavy on top the upside down buckets and trash bin to hold them in place. Good luck and tell us what you end up doing and if it works.

AJ

o

What about that foamy pipe covering stuff that is split up the side. Sort of looks like a big noodle! I use it to protect young trees, why not cut it to cover the scapes.? You could pile the bark to help support it.

Yup....I have tomatoes on my plants. I said that will guarantee an ice storm in March!

Kristi

o

Thanks for the ideas! I piled bark over all the bloom spikes that were less than 6 inches tall. The tall ones I've left unprotected, with the exception of one clumb that is a favorite. They are nearly open, so I put bamboo stakes around the clump and then made a little tent out of frost cloth. I do use the foam protectors for fruit tree trunks, but it is so stiff I decided I am too clumsy, and would be more likely to break the stalks that way. So fingers crossed...

o

Only a light frost. Even the uncovered ones did fine. So good to know - bloom spikes can take a light frost without damage.

o

Mine came thru fine too, I didn't cover them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here