Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fantastica

Posted by jeromej13 5A (Montreal) (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 12 at 13:19

Here's one I bought in 2007, labeled as "Fantastica". I paid $5.99! Very reliable bloomer, often with three stalks. Enjoy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fantastica

Hippeastrum 'Gilmar'?

o

Hi, Josh, My first response would have been Gilmar but I'm not so sure that the red is dark enough.. what do you think? It's very lovely and I just bought a possible vittatum hybrid off Ebay and I'm hoping that it looks just like that..(I should be so lucky)!!
Thanks Jerome for sharing this with us..and what do you say about the depth of the red on this..it's coming across as a red to the orange side.. is it(?).. or is it much deeper? If it's a darker red than it may be Gilmar (one that is still on my wish list)...
It's a flower with a very happy face and I'm glad it's done so well for you..

Donna

o
RE: Fantastica or is it Gilmar...

Josh, I think you're right (I just went searching) I think it is Gilmar....

o

I'd say that it's a standard "pure x-mas" red. The picture is pretty accurate, although the burgundy background may throw you off. -- I've looked at the Gilmar pictures on this site and elsewhere, and seems like a dead match. Thanks for your comments and for the info.

I'll go update my label now...

o

Beautiful flower (and pic), and a really interesting discussion too. Thanks for both. :) Happy gardening everyone!

o

Donna,

Dependent on climatic conditions the red can be quite different and 'Minerva' is much more of an orange so I figured on 'Gilmar'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here