e36yellowm3
14 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
{{gwi:383504}}From 09 / 10 hippi season

Alana

Comments (14)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    14 years ago

Wow!! Love that one, and the color(!!) Now I know why you always buy multiple bulbs of the same kind, you get a pot full of beauties!! Awesome!!

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Donna, I lucked out on that one - two bulbs, but both putting up two scapes all at the same time.

Alana

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

AWESOME! LOVE Pink Floyd!

• haweha
    14 years ago

Hippeastrums are, like other bulbous plants,
    herd animals
    Too bad that "Pink Floyd" does not grow very well, and it is likely to fade away after few years. It was my "worst" knight star lily, in this regard.

• ryan820
    14 years ago

I think its more like a pack animal because those blooms are howlin'!!!!

Sweet shot, Alana... you used your ambient light, well ;o)

Ryan

• anna_in_quebec
    14 years ago

Alas, my Pink Floyd is still fast asleep - not even a hint of a scape showing. Ah - such anticipation!

• e36yellowm3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Howlin' - I love it! :-) Thanks for all the compliments.

It's such a sweet bloom. I didn't realize it fades as a bulb. I suppose that means in a year or two I should think about propagation? It'll hurt to cut up a healthy bulb but if I need to in order to keep it blooming then so be it.

Alana

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Gorgeous blooms all at once, I love the ones flowers all at once.

• elizabeth_jb
    14 years ago

I adore Pink Floyd. If possible, I would purchase it like an annual, just for the chance to see it bloom once.

Unfortunately, my experience has been the same as Hans-Werner. They don't stay around very long.

• haxuan
    14 years ago

What do you mean "they don't stay around very long", Ann? do you mean the blooms fade quickly or the bulb will perish after a few seasons?
    I just love the color. So beautiful.

Xuan

• haweha
    14 years ago

You can't "rebuild" the bulbs sufficiently. They will become smaller. I assume that this cultivar needs more heat, I mean elevated substrate temperature.

• blancawing
    14 years ago

That is simply a glorious photo, Alana!

Hans-Werner, it is wonderful to see you here.

I hope that you are still tuned in because I have two questions that I sincerely hope you will be kind enough to answer.

1. Did the beautiful offspring produced from your ÂPink Floyd x ÂGiraffe crosses display increased vigor and resilience?

2. I recently asked a grower in Holland for advice regarding a Pink Floyd bulb that had a crumbling and disintegrating basal plate. He advised, "Dig up the bulbs every 3-4 years and cut away the complete basal plate, including the roots. Once planted again the bulb will start to make new and fresh roots again." What do you think of his advice?

Many thanks,

Blanca

• haweha
    14 years ago

Thank you!
    The seedlings out of "PinkFloyd" x "Giraffe" I chose for cultivation to maturity were the strongest. The weaker seedlings were simply discarded. Thus I kept only those specimens that would be much more vigorous than Pink Floyd, and 75% of them produced their maiden blooms 2.5 y after sowing.

Veronica gives the same advice for old bulbs that have developed an overly thick basal plate. On the other hand, my own experiences clearly say that after only 4 years the basal plate is YET to become so thick as to hinder the penetration of the new roots.
    Do not expect miracles from trimming the basal plate.

• blancawing
    14 years ago

The increased vigor of your Pink Floyd hybrids is very encouraging. I will continue to work with PF through successive generations of hybridization.

Many thanks and best regards,

Blanca