Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haweha

Hippeastrum 'Salmon' ???!

haweha
18 years ago

Indeed it was simply labelled 'Salmon'

What a beautifull, carrot-oranje flower.

This hybrid was proffered in great number as potted plant this winter - and finally I relent the temptation and purchased one.

I am overwhealmed. 2 stems with 5 blossoms each.

with an elegant shape and a perfect symmetry.

THAT is the way I like tetraploid hippeastrums.

{{gwi:383732}}href> {{gwi:383733}}href> {{gwi:383734}}href>

Comments (17)

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Hans good for you....what a lovely find! The orange color is so pretty!

Sierra

• jeromej13
    18 years ago

How lovely! Haven't seen this one around.

• lora_in
    18 years ago

Hi Hans-Werner,
    That is beautiful! Do I see a bit of a "wild" face in those flowers? Lora

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes - I think so : That's it
    And - as if to close a circle now - it has something to do with these previously mentioned fangs that means that the lower segments on the right and the left have the tendency to point towards another.

This is so very astonishing for me as the foto image on the label did not indicate anything of this characteristics (I shall try to generate a photo)

Hans-Werner

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is the label:

{{gwi:383735}}

• lora_in
    18 years ago

Hi Hans-Werner,
    I like the real flower much better than the one the package shows! Lora

• anna_in_quebec
    18 years ago

Sometimes mislabelling can bring a wonderful surprise! Just gorgeous!

Anna

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I would not go so far and assign this as mislabelling.
    I "forced" this plant at only 11 to 15°C on one part of the winter reposal area which is illuminated with fluorescence tubes. In accordance with the environmental conditions hippeastrums perform rather differentially - and this is certainly the result of these forcing conditions which were a little bit uncommon
    - a very nice result.

Hans-Werner

• lora_in
    18 years ago

Hi Hans-Werner,
    Hmmmm, is the temperature responsible for the fangs? Or just the color saturation? Cause my greenhouse is within a few degrees warmer and mine dont have fangs:( I could put ice cubes in the pots if you think it would help ;o Lora

• crazyforcorelli
    18 years ago

How does this hybrid differ from Rilona? Color? (Based on photos, I can't see much difference.) Shape? (This seems more likely, though Hans's shape is different than the one pictured on the box.) Please enlighten me....

-Crazy

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The color of "Salmon" is generally more intense.
    A strinking difference is the backside of the flower segments, which are almost white in Rilona and perspiciously colored in "Salmon" at least as comnpared to Rilona.

• crazyforcorelli
    18 years ago

Thanks for answering my question.

Would Veronica ReadÂs "Hippeastrum: the GardenerÂs Amaryllis" have this kind of precise detail to aid distinguishing one variety from others with similar coloration? I havenÂt found a web site with that level of specificity, and Starr OckengaÂs book certainly doesnÂt offer it....

• haweha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Would...

Presumably YES if she had at all had the opportunity to do that. Simply in order to explain what kind of progress has been made from the "old" Rilona to the "modern" Salmon.
    I cite from her book:

'Rilona'
    Breeder G.C.van Meeuwen (The Netherlands) Date of Registration 1962; Classification: Leoplodii (5b)

I assume that "Salmon" had been registered too "late" to becomme included in Veronica's book.

The color IS fundamentally the same as in Rilona.
    Elsewhere (not in this book) I read about the particular meaning the carrot oranjehref> has for ornamentals' breeders in The Netherlands.
    For my part I believe that this 'Salmon' color comes closest to that country-color (far better than that of Orange Sovereign).

Hans-Werner

• soultan
    16 years ago

Hans, do you really think that Salmon is a registered variety and not just a color indication as White, Red, Striped, Orange, Salmon, Green... There are tons of bulbs out there only sold by color scheme, disregard to parentage...

• haweha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

In fact this can not absolutely be excluded ;););)

• soultan
    16 years ago

I have read somewhere that hybridizers also color code all the "discarded" bulbs. This means that all that do not make the cut for further development into a new variety get coded into Red, Wite, Orange, Striped, etc. then sold as is.
    So one source of these kind of bulbs can be this. I don't really understand growers though who simply grow these bulbs for color... If there are named hybrids, why just grow for color? Is it so hard to write an actual name on the bag?
    Or they might not want to pay royalties for the copyright owners, so they simply get a named variety and just replicate it based only on color. Colors are not copyrighted. Some of the varieties are already out of the copyright protection, I assume, so they can be grown freely. I assume Minerva and company are in this cathegory.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Whatever it's called, it's one I haven't seen before... it's very lovely, Sir Hans! The color is wonderful! The petals look satiny in your photo, with a certain sheen that is caught in the light... it's a wonderful Salmon!

Sponsored
More Discussions