Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
papilio from ebay

Posted by dondeldux (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 26, 10 at 14:26

Hi again, I just wanted to share this with you. A few days ago I ordered a Papilio from a guy in North Carolina on EBay. Listing said 2-3 yr old Papilio bulb growing in pot with roots. Well, LOOK WHAT CAME IN THE MAIL TODAY!! I couldn't believe my eyes(!) The leaves are 16" with a baby and a BUD!!! The bulb is hard as a rock and there are roots growing out of the bottom of the pot! This fellow had 6 or 7 of these, selling one a day and I bought mine for $11 and change, plus $9 for postage. It was beautifully packed, no problems at all. So, for you EBayers out there that don't yet have a Papilio, you might want to take a chance! Now if this does turn out to be what it supposed to be, then this is the deal of the century!!

From HIPPEASTRUM 2009-2010

I was thinking of being greedy and ordering another, but Husband begged me not to. Will see..............Now if this turns to be another Giraffe, then I won't be so happy, but right now, I'm smiling!! Hope someone else out there takes advantage of this opportunity, of course I don't know which clone of Papilio this is, but It really doesn't matter to me.

Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: papilio from ebay

Your new baby looks just beautiful. I cannot wait to see pictures of it in bloom!

o

I have a question for the Papilio experts out there. Should I wait until the plant has flowered before I re-pot or should I go ahead and re-pot now before it blooms? Actually, I am paranoid that I will upset it in some way if I re-pot it now. I have a nice clay pot with a very drainable mix waiting for it, any suggestions would be appreciated since I am sooo afraid to jinx this! It is extremely root bound with the roots coming out the bottom. It was dry when I received it so I bottom watered it and it soaked up the water like a sponge. It is sitting in my South Facing bay window (hasn't seen much sun since I got it, but it will) and looking very happy. My gut feeling it to wait until it flowers to re-pot, but what do you think? Thanks for any advice,
Donna

o

I'd leave it for now, but I'd be itching to change it too.

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 16:36

Generally Hippeastrums can be very well repotted as soon as you observe any "activity" that is fresh leaves or a scape poking out of the bulb, while taking care to not disturb the roots too much.
And YES, there is no risk as to repotting the specimen you showed above, either. If you want to start perfectly then sacrifice the old pot: Cut some cm into the rim of he pot, downwards and then tear further with your hands in order to open the pot. Thus the roots will be considerably lesser be traumatized as compared to simply pulling out with brutal power...
An amaryllis plant with its whole, undamaged ball of roots replanted into a new pot, that is some cm larger than the previous pot, takes much advantage of its new freedom as compared to the previous narrow confinement, and growth is stimulated, often conspicuously.

o
Identity

Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 16:47

A soon as the scape will have elongated so much as that the whole "bud" (envelope) and the first cm of the stem below can be recorded, then show me, pardon: US, the picture. I will tell you WHETHER it is actually a genuine H.papilio.

o

Thank you!! Sir Hans for the advise, then I definitely will repot this fine specimen!! I am very excited to have acquired this full grown plant with a bud and a baby!! I do intend to have my husband cut the pot away with a utility knife as it is only plastic and there are roots coming out the bottom! It will be interesting to see which clone I end up with, the picture on the eBay listing was rather fuzzy! Appreciatively,

Donna

o
RE: papilio from ebay or not?

Oh Oh! You mean I might have another Giraffe??!! Will do!

o

Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 19:20

"Giraffe" can already be excluded. The bulb of this Papilio-hybrid is rather flat, and the green "bud" is more gracile and its tip more pointed.
Well, something in the shape of the leaves reminds me of another Papilio-hybrid, namely...
"Exotic Star" These appear too fleshy instead of leathery, and their color is too bright!
LOL! Now MY anticipation grows!

o

Hmmm Well, we shall see, (I already have an Exotic Star that gave me 3 stalks, with 4 flowers each) that was very beautiful, BUT! Should be interesting...........I will be sure to post along the way!!

o

Donna - That's quite a collection you have there. They're beautiful! I am now inspired to get more amaryllis bulbs. The darn things grow so fast once you get them out of that dormant stage. I find this to be very exciting!
-Bo

o

Hi Donna!

Yes please do update us on your papilio. I would also want to try his papilio if it blooms true. But not till I see yours flower. I had too many mislabeled papilios this season that came from ETG (12 bulbs) and MZ (1 bulb). I'm not adding more mislabels to this season's purchases. Too many of them!!!!

o

Hi Just noticing in Mariava"s pic the bulb is just about sitting on the soil.
My Papilio is planted nearly to the neck, and the leaves are nearly horizontal.
Does the planting depth have any influence on the growing and blooming of the Papilio, which is planted in a plastic pot. enjoy the pics.. Thanks Jack

o

Hi Bo, When you said you looked at my collection I assume you looked at my album and not referring to my messy kitchen counter! Glad you enjoyed them!!

Maria, will certainly post pictures, of whatever this turns out to be! The fuzzy picture looks like a Papilio of some sort, but the picture is awfully small isn't it.!?

o

Good question Jack, I'll await the answer also.......does your bloom for you?

o

Hi Donna - Yep. I was referring to your kitchen counter, then I checked out your album. Wow! I am definitely now inspired and will invest in a few more bulbs.
My friend gave me and my sister each an amaryllis bulb. She got herself one too. But mine is the only one that bloomed. And it was easy too! I don't know what happened to theirs but I sure do feel good to see mine bloom. ( :
-Bo

o

Hi, Just an update on the progress and re-potting of my eBay Papilio(?) it was extremely pot bound as you can see, not a job for the faint of heart or the weak handed such as myself! It was the thickest plastic pot I've ever seen, but here it is. Also, the scape has grown a couple of inches, for possible further evaluation!

It's bulbet was totally hidden by the roots and I'm afraid that my husband did slice into the root ball despite my very verbal concerns, hope that doesn't bother it too much, and we did resist the urge to feather the roots out as would be done with any other type of plant that was re-potted. I also tried to brush some of the soil from the top of the pot so it wasn't buried so deeply, but the roots were right at the surface, poor roots had no where else to go!!
Am awaiting an opinion from the experts, Thanks!!!

Donna

o
RE: papilio from ebay what am I ??

Well my ??Papilio?? from eBay is about to open!! Anyone have any clues?? The bud is 5" long and it shouldn't be long!!

What am I??

From FLAMING PEACOCK

Donna

o

Hey Donna! That looks very close to an Papilio!! Maybe You have luck!

o

Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 8:08

Gosh! Heart, be still! The real thing is coming!

o

My thoughts, exactly, and I have not seen anywhere near as many Papilio as Hans-Werner has seen. I am still fairly new to Papilio, having only grown them for a few years.

What FUN!

I didn't purchase any new Papilio's this year, so I am waiting to see the older bulbs to bloom. Some of the protected ones are producing scapes. Some of my seedlings are producing scapes. I don't see a scape on any of the Papilio bulbs yet.

I have truly missed winter time blooms, but this year, it could not be helped.

Will we see a picture soon? I surely hope so because I don't see a bud on any of my older Papilio bulbs.

Congrats! And please do share your delights!

Ann

o

Hi Ann, We're opening slowly but now I feel more confident!! Actually, I bought 1 more of these bulbs before I was sure, and tried 2 other bulbs from different vendors, all on eBay, and all supposedly Papilios, trying to increase my odds of a success. I know there are many varieties of Papilio and maybe I will end up with more than one. I'm very excited, as earlier this year I bought 2 bulbs at a local nursery that turned out to be Giraffe, not a bad mistake, but I really wanted a Papilio!! I'm already planning what I will have available to dab pollen on, and what I can put on my little prize!! This one appears to be very green!!! I suppose there is still time for it to turn into an Exotic Star??!!

Here is what today brought...........

From FLAMING PEACOCK

Donna

o

How exciting, Donna! It sure looks like the REAL thing to me!

Ann

o

Hi Again, Well, I guess I have the real thing, maybe someone would recognize which variety this might be!! I sure hope I can keep this alive, the leaves seem a little floppy and I'm hoping that it is just the variety. I mentioned that I had ordered another one like this and it came today, but this one is a little tentative. It had 2 nice sized babies and I was psyched until I pulled it out of the pot!! The roots had been soaking wet for too long I guess, and they were 2/3 rotten!! So, I pulled off the bad roots and there wasn't much left, actually the root systems were better on the bulblets than the mother. Maybe one or 2 of them will live, repotted them all separately and will hope for the best!! One thing I noticed about this variety is that it doesn't seem to have the long neck that others have, and as I said, the leaves are quite floppy!! Could this be the one named Papilio Improved??
I will be storing some pollen from this one until something blooms that I think would be compatible with it. Is it self sterile?? I have a Tres Chic out now, but somehow I'm not sure if that would look right, I was sort of thinking about a solid color for a mate. By the way, I am trying to self Tres Chic and it doesn't seem to be taking! But I've got 6 flowers to fool around with. It's just gorgeous!! So not to stay off topic for too long, may I present, my first ever Papilio!!!!!!!!!!!

From P A P I L I O S

From P A P I L I O S

From P A P I L I O S

From P A P I L I O S

I just have to share my Tres Chic with you also, I really love it!!

And Alana this one's for you, I really love this one too!!

Red Charm..............

Donna

o

Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 18:10

Pollinate H.papilio with "Trs Chic"! You might become a lucky winner and receive lucky amaryllogenous winners, RESPECTIVELY; IF!:
You receive some viable seeds out of this crossbreeding, that you have the GENIUS of an OPPORTUNITY to accomplish right now.

o

Oh Donna, that's beautiful! How lucky to get a great Papilio from eBay. And I just love Tres Chic. That one has to go on my wish list. Thanks for posting Red Charm. Mine is just finally sending up a scape - now I'm excited to see it bloom!

Let us know how you make out with the pollination.

Happy Spring!

Alana

o

Thank you Alana, I'm really enjoying Red Charm! Firecracker is doing well also!! The beautiful Rozetta is holding her own with 2 leaves and when I see another appear I will rejoice!

Sir Hans, Thank you for the advice, I shall do just that!! I won't be able to cross both ways as my Tres Chic has been out for some time and I'm sure every blossom has been contaminated since I was only trying to self it and did not take the pollen off any of the blossoms, Tres Chic is sending up another scape and I will try with the next one!! The pollen has been taken off both blossoms of Papilio so I should have a good chance with no contamination. I have several ideas what to do with the rest of the pollen and maybe I will have some seeds to share!

Thanks for your imput!!

Donna

o

Papilio is so beautiful, I wish I had it too. Mine turned out to be something else, you're lucky! :)

I'd definetly try crossing it with Trs Chick, that wouldn've been the cross that comes to my mind when I'm thinking of papilio, but it's worth a try. Like haweha wrote, chances aren't too great that this will succeed. I think that the papilio is self steril.

o

Sun, Mar 21, 10 at 3:45

Dusting "Trs Chic" with pollen from H.papilio would mean that you attempt to crossbreed TET x DIP and I never observed that this would work.
As to the reciprocal attempt,

H.papilio x TET ( = "Ordinary Hippeastrum" [as regards ploidity] )

you will very probably (if you had pollinated in due time) observe that the two seedpods will yield more than 100 seeds, each. But you will have to SUBMIT the seed foils, specimen for specimen to an accurate INSPECTION. Very few IF ANY seeds will actually be viable. Because, the chromosomal incompatibility leads to a malformation of the embryos. This reveals itself through red and whitisch spots on the seed foil and, the absence of a plump, well shaped embryo (should have the form of a sunflower grain)respectively. You will have to inspect them FRESH seeds right away out of the seed pod you opened by hand, otherwise it is "too late". And, btw, in the case of H.papilio the seed pod will begin to split while it is still fully green. When splitting starts then it is time to "inspect and select" You might find only one or two viable seeds. On my attempts to crossbreed it with "Appleblossom" I would consistently find ZERO viable seeds. This is to provide you with the reality of what you can expect, not to discourage you. Actual, real seedlings from this approach are the most precious knight star lily specimens you can imagine.

o

Earlier this season I attempted a cross with Exotic Star X Limona, had two healthy looking seedpods and they were, as you say, filled with malformed enbryos (red and white deformities on the seed shield. Nothing was viable, but I will attempt this cross. You never know, luck might be with me for a few viable seeds!!

Could I expect success if I put Papilio's pollen on the variety pictured below?? This is a lost label mauvy pink that puts up leaves with the scapes, I like that, and has a nice shape and color, and is coming into bloom within a week. I also have a Graffiti in bloom with plenty of pollen, but I wouldn't dare to put anything on it as it has no roots and is stressed and I don't want to loose it!!
The only other varieties in bloom currently would be Lady Jane, (loaded with pollen), and Pobov,(which I don't really like) and a Blossom Peacock with a little pollen. So, without many choices I think when Papilio is receptive I will use the Tres Chic unless someone suggests something else!!

From AMARYLLIS BLOSSOMS BY DONNA D.

I am envisioning the burgundy stripes on this flower!!

Oh, I almost forgot, I do have some pollen from Exotic Star, Limona and Pasadena that I have stored for a month or so in a cold closet! Any of those compatible!!

Thank you for all your help, Donna

o

Donna, let me know if you want some Pink Floyd or Melusine (which is turned out to be some new trumpet called Rebecca per Blanca) pollen - both of which I think are dips. I also think Exotic Star and Limona would work too. Limona would be a nice choice.

Alana

o

Thanks Alana, I was thinking Limona might make a pretty flower, I will definitely do 1 Tres Chic and think about Limona! I still have time to change my mind though. Only 2 choices on Papilio but lots of choices the other way. Of course I am assuming the other way will work, maybe not. Donna

o

Yayyyy for Donna!

Do what your heart desires Donna.
Prayers help a lot.
Photobucket

"HIS" will shall be done!
Photobucket

o

Hi Everyone! This is just an up-date on my pollinating of my Papilio!! They are looking good, the one on the left is the size of a walnut, and that is with Tres Chic, and the one on the right, a tad smaller, is a "cocktail" of about 5 different pollens, so if I get viable seeds with the second one I may never know who the Daddy is. This is very exciting, they are nice and firm and green!! Thanks for looking!!
Donna

From P A P I L I O S

o

How FUN!

I love IT!!!!!

o

SHOULD I BE EXCITED!!??

Donna

From P A P I L I O S

From P A P I L I O S

o

Yes!

Photobucket

Cheers, Blanca

o

Donna!

You did it!

Yep! They will make it! Now, all you have to do is to make sure there are no tan colored dots on the seeds. Those, you can toss. All of the totally dark ones, you should try to sow.

Way to GO!!!!

Ann

o

Yayyyy!!!
Well done Donna!
Congratulations!!!

o

Thanks Everyone!! Thanks for your encouraging words, I will post pictures when the pods open!! Donna

o

Hi Everyone, This is just an update. I am worried about the stalk on my Papilio and the seed pods are taking "forever" to ripen!! I mean I think it's taken several weeks longer for the pods to mature and they still haven't turned although they look like they may be starting. The scape looks like a stalk of rhubarb!! The stalk is still nice and firm, but what about the red?? "The plant is where it always has been, hasn't been moved, in a very sunny bay window. Thanks,

Donna

From FLAMING PEACOCK

Donna

o

I wouldn't think color of the scape is an issue, but firmness would be. If you sense any mushiness, cut above it and ripen the seedpods with the scape in a vase of water. Don't forget to upend the scape and fill it with water before you put it in the vase. Put your finger over the end to trap the water in before you submerge the end so there are no air bubbles. I ripened a couple of seed pods this way. DON'T CUT UNLESS YOU HAVE TOO, but if the base turns mushy, you may have to.

You've come this far...my fingers are crossed for you!
Kristi

o

Donna, for what it's worth, I did notice that the seed pods on Exotic Star seemed to take longer to ripen and they kinda remained pretty green. They finally did open a crack and I am growing some cute little ES x Pink Floyd seedlings now. Just a little different than the usual hybrids we're used to I guess. Good luck! Alana

o

Thanks Kristi and Alana, the stalk is still very firm, but I AM watching it closely!! My fingers are crossed too!! Thanks, Donna

o

Well, the moment I've been waiting for had arrived!!! Hmmmm! I harvested the first pod Papilio x Tres Chic and kind of got a mixed bag. Most of the seeds are pock marked with white, but a few of them are black on both sides. Even the pock marked ones feel like there is a seed inside! I am soaking them all for now, any suggestions as to whether I should remove the bad ones? If you view this picture at 150% you can find a few good ones. What should I do?? I await some advise. The other pod should be ripe in a few days!! Thanks in advance,
Donna
From P A P I L I O S

o

Just pick out the good ones Donna. The ones with tan marks, chaff seeds, will not germinate as the embryo inside is undeveloped.

I do see some good ones...precious!

o

Donna I would soak them all and leave them soak for a good long time (weeks even). A lot of my seeds from Appleblossom showed that white, but had seeds in them as you've said, and they all germinated and grew for me.
Separate them from the others but still let them soak until you see roots. What's the harm in letting them go for a while?
PS - I always removed the chaff and soaked the white seeds in water.

o

Donna,

I agree with Jackie!

Separate them, just in case they decay, but try them all. You never know.

Go for it, and let us know!

This is quite exciting!

Ann

o

Thanks everyone!!!

o
RE: papilio from ebay (Who's the Daddy??)

OK GUYS, HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS!! ARE YOU SITTING DOWN??
I just harvested the second seed pod on Papilio and it is chock full of fat seeds!!! Granted a few of them are pock-marked, but there are at least 3 times as many good fat black seed in this Pod!!! The seeds have a different look than the others in the first pod, the seeds are much much fatter in this one!

Now this is the one I dabbed with a "cocktail" of pollens consisting of Lady Jane, Limona, Exotic Star (these 3 pollens had been stored for several months) and Tres Chic (again) and Grafitti, both fresh at the time!! Now, I mixed them all together so there would be even distribution and I'm leaving it up to you guys to tell me who would have been the most compatible! I seriously don't think it was Tres Chic again, because the seeds look sooo different, there is virtually no chaff, and I'll bet there are more than 30 good seeds!!

From P A P I L I O S

From P A P I L I O S

When you view this bump it up to 150% and you can see the thickness of the seeds!! I'm excited!! All opinions as to who the Daddy is will be appreciated!!!!! Thanks!!!!

Donna!!

o

Exotic Star and Graffiti. Both has Papilio in it's genes.

But then that's just my thoughts. And I am NO EXPERT.

o

I know this is probably a dumb question, but could there be more than one pollinator or does it all come from just 1 grain of pollen??? Now the Grafitti pollen was much fresher than Exotic Star hmmmmmmmm
Thanks!!

o

One tiny pollen grain into one ovule, which resides inside one ovary,is what it takes to make one seed.If you used mixed pollen you could have seeds from each of the pollen donors,except where there is complete incompatability.Some breeders,including myself use pollen of a known easy pollenator, to cause a pod to develop,and not abort,while at the same time using pollen from a variety which has otherwise refused to pollenate the female of choice. The weaker pollenator gets a free ride. Upon growing out the seedlings,most of the time, one can tell which was the pollen parent. Sometimes, this won't work,sometimes, it will.
Fresher pollen could make a difference, since whichever pollen grain grows down to the ovule first, is the one which fertilizes the ovule. Younger, healthier,more vigorous,just like in humans,and so many other things.
Del

o

Thanks Del, So it is possible that in this second pod there could be 3 pollinators?? Tres Chic, because it took the first time, Exotic Star and Grafitti!!! Limona and Exotic Star were the oldest, now that I think about it the Lady Jane was fresh also, as I have 3 bulbs and had a constant supply of flowers for many many weeks, I had forgotten that. They are all soaking now, the good seeds separated from the bad and we'll see what happens!! Thanks!!

Donna

o

Hi Everyone, I am not having any success germinating my Papilio x Tres Chic, they still haven't rooted, still floating but no roots. But, my other Papilio x maybe Exotic Star or Grafitti, have rooted, quite a few of them! The problem is, there are a few seedlings that are quite red! I am worried, it this a serious problem and should I get the red ones out of there, what causes them to be red and have they contaminated the rest of the seedling? In the past I have have maybe a little red on a few seeding and have ignored it and just planted them and never really followed up on their progress. But with these I am concerned, what do you all think? I'd appreciate any and all thoughts!!

Donna

From FLAMING PEACOCK

From FLAMING PEACOCK

Look at these pictures at 150% and you can really see the red!! Help!!!!!

o

Donna, Use a double to triple strength fungicide solution,such as captan, and dip the red seedlings for a few seconds, Then plant them in a container seperate from the rest.The red may be harmless,but to be more sure-. I use 4 inch pots,but any size is fine for now. Do not leave the sprouted seedlings which have sunken to the bottom,in the water. Plant them,root down,leaf up,whichever is showing.They need more oxygen than they can get under the water. Young seedlings must be kept quite damp,even after they are transplanted to soil,until they attain a bulb size sufficient to carry them a couple of days,like 6mm-8mm or appx 1 quarter inch.Then, if you overwater them,they will rot.
The red on hippeastrum is a curative dye,created by the plant itself in response to damage to its tissues,according to some recent studies.However since we don't know if it's from tissues swelling too fast or a pathogen,I recommend the fungicide. If you were growing it invitro,I would also recommend antibiotics. It depends entirely how important the seedlings are to you.
Del

o

The red on hippeastrum is a curative dye, created by the plant itself in response to damage to its tissues, according to some recent studies.

Del, you are so knowledgeable. I would love to read more. Are the studies available online?

Thanks!
Carol

o

I don't remember where I read it,but I've read it more than one place. It probably was a paper,published by a prof or grad student at one of the universities around the world.
Del

o

Del, Thanks for the information, I removed the red streaked seedling, there were four, and soaked them in water that was laced with Captan, I just dumped in about 1/4 teaspoon, for several hours, then planted and marked them. I also potted up about 5 or 6 others that looked pretty good. I still have a few more germinating, should be about a total of 10 or so before I'm through. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, the red ones do.

On the other hand, the Papilio x Tres Chic did not germinate, they are still soaking but I fear they have all turned to mush. Oh Well, but I did so want just a few that might have had some red in them. Hopefully I will get another shot next year. Good luck with your Papilio x your red double!!

Donna

o

How are these seedlings doing now ? :)

o

Hi, My Papilio seedlings are growing, but won't be setting any records. I have 4 4" pots with between 4-6 per pot and unfortunately, 3 of the pots were with my plants, (inside) that came down with a case of the "thrips" !! They were sprayed along with the other 5 plants and seem do be doing OK. They are all due for another spraying, hopefully this will take care of any further problems in that department. I am currently foliar spraying them with a weak solution of Miracle
Grow, will increase the strength as they get a little larger. I'm thinking that Graffiti is the Papa and maybe that is why they're rather on the small size. I have other seedlings planted about the same time that are two to three times this size. I'm happy they are still green and growing, but I won't be handing out any cigars anytime soon!! Thanks for asking,

Donna

From FLAMING PEACOCK

I'm open to any suggestions as to what I could be doing for them. They get several hours of sun a day (through a window) as do all my other seedlings, so far no fungus gnats!

o

Wed, Aug 4, 10 at 11:39

Hello Donna;
thank you for documenting.
The Rhubarb color is pigment formation - so, the light conditions at your windowsill must be quite good. The same color can often be observed on the bases of the outer (older) leaves.
The "good seeds" bear EITHER the parentage of "Exotic Star" [DIP]. OR, provided that "Graffiti" [DIP; at least did I conclude this instantly, from the appearance of the flowers (Thanks to MARIAVA for showing)] does produce viable pollen (what I do not know yet) THEN you have a mixture of both crosspollination results and them seedlings thereof now, respectively, THAT I congratulate you to your success!

o

Nice looking babies Donna!

If you compare them with your other seedlings, and they are looking to be almost just half of their size, this would confirm that Graffiti is "Da Papa". Although leaf/plant size can be passed on to siblings by the pollen parent, some of your seedlings will also inherit papilio's size or a mix of papilio's and Graffiti's size.

Sir Hans...Yes, Graffiti does produce very good pollens and will be accepted by some "universal" varieties. My pollination attempts from my 20 plus Graffiti bulbs using both TETS, DIPS and "universal" pollens this season has all failed or been rejected. It is possible that Graffiti is a triploid like a lot of sonatinis are. We'll see what this beauty holds in the next seasons.
Photobucket

o

Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 10:11

EPIC, amaryllogenius AWESOMENESS!
Thank you for showing. That is a beautiful venation to behold, on the flower segments.

Btw. Although I largely neglected my collection in the last 2 y; I !do! have them, actually, a number of genuine seedlings of H.papilio x "Exotic Star". Small but healthy. Approx. 12 strong specimens with hazelnut-sized bulbs among approx. 40 seedlings in total.

o

Hi Everyone!

I think it is time for an update on these papilio seedlings. I have 5 pots with 4 to 6 per pot and all are growing well. I have 3 bulbs, one in each of 3 community pots that are huge..I mean I wouldn't be too surprised if they bloomed next year!!! (a bit optimistic I'm sure). Even the 4 red ones that Del suggested I soak in Captan, which I did, are alive, albiet the smallest.

I will take pictures in a day or two so you can see that I'm not fibbing!!..With the differences in sizes for all these seedlings, I am really hoping to have more than one daddy.The unfortunate thing is that when I re-potted them to larger pots I didn't want to disturb the roots, so I just left them snuggling..and I mean snuggling!! So far they seem happy with their companions..but if and when they bloom, I will have to do the dirty deed and pull them apart. And another thing.. the pictures of papilio # 1's first bloom are nothing compared to the beauty of this flower the next year..that one I will post now as I have them in my album...so it goes to show if you are disappointed in the flowers the first year give it another year before judgement... Stay tuned..

Donna

Here she is the second year..I know I've posted these elsewhere before, but I just want them to be on this thread for future reference..

she was kind of gawky the first time, but now she's curvy and sophisticated...

The pot of papilios that I lost to the NBF(4 bulbs) was not this one. It was another from a different vendor on EBay that was equally as beautiful (sob)..

Donna

By the way, last year I went crazy with about 8 papilio flowers to play with and I pollenated everything that was availible..not much luck I have a couple with Naranja, but they just don't look right..the leaves seem too thick to me (as all other pap crosses have been narrow) so I might have goofed. But, I do have some.. believe it or not.., Benfica x Papilio!! I did 3 pods on Benfica..one was a self which I gave away, the other two yielded a small amount of seeds, of which I gave a few to a friend and kept the rest. I now have about 8 tiny well formed seedling of this cross and there is no doubt in my mind that I didn't goof on this one! For the longest time they looked like blades of new grass and stayed that way for months..finally a few months ago they started to grow and they are perfectly formed "tiny" bulbs with 3 to four leaves! About 6 of the seedling look great the other 2 are not vigirous. They look exactly like seedlings of Santiago x Chico given to me by Rebecca..also she gave out some Pap x Chico which look the same also, although they are much much larger even though they are at least 6 months younger..Well, I guess I've bored you enough..Thanks for reading..

o

Soooo pretty! Sorry you got NFB! :-(
See your email for a personal note from me!
K

o

Hi Again,

Here are the pictures I promised...It's hard to see them since they are sooo crowded, but here they are..

This was taken in early Sept and I thought I detected a little rot so I powdered it's behind with captan...

o

Nice growing, Donna! Beautiful photos, all of them! I just love Papilio! She's so flowing and gracious, and her coloration is so unique!

I'm an NBF survivor, myself, Donna... so I know the devastation involved. The worst part for me was losing the mother bulb of Minerva, the very first bulb I ever bought. I sobbed when I found her too far gone to save. I had kept her alive and flourishing for over 11 years, and losing her was like losing her namesake, the American Bulldog I had named Minerva... who started my whole interest in bulbs to begin with.

I had been Christmas shopping over 11 years ago, and when I saw the bulb display, I thought I was reading the name on the box wrong. It couldn't be possible that a flower was named the same thing as my beloved bulldog! It's such an unusual name! I had to have it, and bought it right then and there... for a whole $3.

That bulb made three moves with our family, survived neglect, my ignorance in culture, and gave me so much joy in blooming! In 11 years, she only took 2 years off from flowering, to rest a little more, I expect.

I do still have her daughter bulb, and I'm hoping she's going to make it. She feels firm, but that's not always an indication that everything is fine.

I didn't mean to co-opt your thread and change subjects, Donna... your mention of NBF just brought back the memory, and I wanted to share...

Your bulbs look marvelous... and I hope to see future photos of more lovely blooms!

o

Jodi,
Not to worry about changing the subject during a thread, I do it myself all the time when something pops into my head..most of us do... Did you only have one daughter from your Minerva after all those years? I seem to remember that you posted their picture..maybe when you seperated them? I'd have to look it up. If you only have one that is unfortunate and I do hope she survives..you probably should keep her under lock and key.;-) Isn't it strange how you can become so attached to some of these bulbs that mean something special to you..Most of them can easily be replaced but some of them are so special that you only want that one!! Hope daughter Minerva flourishes for you...

I probably won't post any more pictures on this thread until something monumental happens..and I'll have to go searching for it.. as it once again.. slides into oblivion...

Donna

o

I enjoyed rereading this thread and your update, Donna.

Though I don't post often I still read postings frequently.

I saw some Papilio bulbs at a local nursery but they were all a bit soft so I did not buy any. I will keep looking as they are so beautiful.

o

Thanks, Donna... yes, there was only the one large daughter bulb produced... so far, she seems ok. I'm keeping an eye on her. I just hate to see such a strong genetic line fade away... I doubt I'll ever find another Minerva that can thrive under such harsh conditions, especially with the commercial world progressing such as it is, with quality pushed aside for the sake of profit.

Well... whether you dig up this thread or begin another, I'd love to see your beautiful Papilio when it blooms again! :-)

o

I ran across this thread today. Very interesting to see the photos of the babies and of course the mother plant is gorgeous. Please update us if any of the seedlings bloom this year.

o

Hi Everyone!
Still no blooms but I have two bulbs that I feel are pretty darned close!! I have a total of 17 bulbs growing from this cross in 4 seperate pots. All different sized rangeing from a good sized plum down to an extra large grape! I'm hoping that there may be at least two fathers.. since there is such a variation in the sizes. Here are a few pictures taken today..
The two pots with the largest bulbs stayed in all summer in the sunny bay window, the other two I put out on the deck..more sun...I didn't put any of these in the ground and I won't.
When I see the first bud emerging you'll most likely hear me holler whoopie where ever you are!!

Donna

This is my largest one in pot # 1...

This is the largest in pot # 2...

the rest are walnut (in shell) sized or smaller. Also, the 3 seedlings that showed red on the roots were soaked in a captan/water solution and then planted and they lived!! They are the large grape sized ones! Good advice from Del that was taken and it worked..!!

On another note, I also have 5 seedlings from a more recent year of papilio x either Sweet Nymph or Lily Star..I have pictures of the seeds of pap x Sweet Nymph and none x Lily Star and somehow I lost the label and am going by my pictures of the seeds which I have labeled. Is it possible for Sweet Nymph to have taken on papilio?

Anyway, they are half papilio so what ever they end up being they should be interesting. I also have only a few of my Benfica x papilio..I made the mistake of planting them in the ground and something ate most of them..I won't do that again with any pap seedlings. A whiskey barrel would be safer as I didn't loose any bulbs that were planted in them. I'll have to go searching for the Benfica seedlings, I haven't seen them in a while..

Also, I made a cross of Estrella x Fairy Tale and Estrella x a large beautifully shaped white from a nursery..(I stole the pollen) and I lost all but one of the Estrella x Fairy Tale (they too were planted in the ground) but the remaining one looks good. I have a handful of the Estrella x white...

o

....I just found a 5th pot of my above pap cross with 4 more large grape sized bulbs so, there are a total of 21...

I can't find my Benfica x papilio though...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here