Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_in_quebec

Black Pearl

anna_in_quebec
18 years ago

My long-awaited Black Pearl opened her first bloom last week. At first I had thought something was wrong, as the bud was very very droopy and seemed so heavy - too heavy to open, but when it finally did open, the flower faces straight ahead and is truly stunning. The way it opened was so in keeping with its dramatic dark colour. The camera cannot seem to capture the exact hue: it is a deep maroonish colour, and it is also satiny in texture - unlike any other amaryllis I've seen. The picture with the bud shows a bit of the satiny sheen, and the bright red bloom is too red than in reality but the flash shows how satiny this flower is - just awesome - divine!

Anna

{{gwi:383847}}

{{gwi:383848}}

{{gwi:383849}}

{{gwi:383850}}

Comments (21)

• lora_in
    18 years ago

Hi Anna,
    Very lovely! Lora

• brigarif Khan
    18 years ago

Yes it is lovely.
    ARIF

• spiderwoman
    18 years ago

Anna, it is just stunning! I, too, indulged myself with this cultivar this year and am very happy with it. Thank you for sharing your photos.
    spiderwoman

• soultan
    16 years ago

Just an advice for photographing your blooms.
    When you photograph AGAINST the light source, the machine will have a hard time compensating for the extreme light coming from all around your object, thus capturing it dark. So when the lit up window is in the background, your initial object will lose color and the detail that you would like to show. Using a flash helps this problem to a certain extent, but we all know that flash, on the other hand, alters the original color and hue. The best way to photograph is to have the light source right behind you, so the light falls upon your object instead of beaming right behind and around it. It can be very artistic when you want to play around light and shapes, but colors will always be altered.
    In that note: I think, my Mary Lou is Double Record after all. No luck again?

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

I have another stalk of Black Pearl blooming for me today and I think it is one of the greatest flowers I have seen. That Black Red is just so heavy and rich, the shape of the flowers is so beautiful! Royal Velvet is blooming again but these blossoms are smaller then the first pot and not nearly as impressive. SO Black Pearl wins, hands down! I want to breed some of its great texture and shape into some of my others. I tried crossing it with Furor today, and with Royal Velvet, and a self. What a valentines flower this would make tied with gold ribbon! Maybe next year I will try to time more for Valentines Daym with Valentines colors

• gotsomerice
    16 years ago

Is Black Pearl the same as Red Pearl?

• soultan
    16 years ago

No, I don't think Black Pearl and Red Pearl are the same. They are distinctly sold as Black and Red, and their tags on the bulbs and on the rack show difference. Though we should know that those pictures are most of the time inaccurate when it comes to color.

• rene09
    16 years ago

I have the Red pearl & it looks very similar. would post pic but am on dial-up & it just takes too long! Hope to get broad band soon.

• yanoosheck
    15 years ago

Hi all, just today my Black Pearl shown her beauty ;-)
    Janusz

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:383846}}

• yanoosheck
    15 years ago

Hippeastrum Black Pearl 2008

{{gwi:383846}}

• yanoosheck
    15 years ago

Hippeastrum Black Pearl 2008

{{gwi:383852}}

• jstropic (10a)
    15 years ago

Yanoosheck,

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous!

What more is there to say except - I can't wait until fall when they should come available again.

• rosalie946
    15 years ago

That is absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to get one myself. I just started growing amaryllis, and must admit they are very addicting.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

It reminds me of my Red Pearl... with that wonderful sheen... only darker, of course! It's beautiful, Janusz! Thank you for sharing!

• yanoosheck
    15 years ago

Hi all,
    I have just found out that this Black Pearl shown on my picrures is actually Hippeastrum Roma and was created by Marko Penning in 1993.
    Regards
    Janusz

• yanoosheck
    15 years ago

{{gwi:383853}}

• yanoosheck
    15 years ago

{{gwi:383854}}

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Another dark beauty... my Red Pearl is almost as deep in color, but not quite. Very close, the two are.

It's beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

• yanoosheck
    13 years ago

BLACK & BLUE

{{gwi:383855}}

• bloomingcelery
    13 years ago

Gorgeous photos. Thanks to everyone for posting them.

Please keep us updated on whether your Black Pearl remains face forward. Mine opened face forward but, by the time the second and third flower opened, they were all tipping downward. This was the bulb's first year with me and it gave me three scapes and 12 beautiful maroon flowers.

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

A good memory jogger to see what i said several years ago, LOL.

Sponsored
Dedicated to Quality & Passionate About Design in Fairfax County