Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Are these worthwhile

jane__ny
11 years ago

Totally new to these plants (see my post about ID plant). They are selling these on QVC. Since I know nothing about them asking for advice.

Thanks,
Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers

Comments (11)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Sure they are!! One of our favorite amaryllis sellers Royal colors is selling a wider variety at a similar price...three bulbs for $23.10 US plus shipping.

Kristi

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Hi Jane,

If you are on a budget, and you like the three Sonatinis offered via the link you posted, you can save some money by purchasing them that way.

If you only buy three Sonatinis from RC, the shipping cost would be $10.50. If you purchase over a certain dollar amount, the shipping is 20% of the total. Using your link, the total for the three bulbs would be $25.65. In contrast, buying 3 Sonatini bulbs from RC (including shipping) would cost $33.60. If you purchased several other bulbs, the total cost would be $27.72.

-Blanca

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you.
    I didn't order, maybe should wait until I research these plants more. Is it true that these bloom all summer?

I tried to ask the seller if they grow in zone 9-10. I am new to Florida gardening and really don't know enough about what does and doesn't do well here. I have also been told that there are nematodes in the soil which kill certain plants.

Thanks for your help,
    Jane

11 years ago

Brent & Becky's has Alaska Sonatinis on sale for 5 for about $27. Price drops if you buy 10.
    K

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, Brent & Becky's. I used to order from them when I lived in NY. Loved their lilies, especially Star Gazers. I've ordered from them for many years. Forgot about them since I moved. Their catalog didn't follow me to Florida.

Will look online.
    Thanks for that info,
    Jane

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Just for the record I love lilies too but we can't grow them around my neck of the woods. We can actually grow them but they are the favorite food of rabbits and woodchucks of which we have many. One year we spend several hundreds of dollars on dozens of gorgeous lilies and only got to enjoy them for a few days..Something ate some of the leaves and all the buds. It might even have been the deer. We tried a few more the next year and lost those too, we knew we had to quit. Much too expensive food for the wildlife. I always envy lilies in other peoples yards..and I drool over them in the catalogues...Donna

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Donna, same thing happened in NY. We eventually solved the problem by fencing in over an acre and letting our dogs run loose in the now, fenced yard. Deer decided to go elsewhere as did the rabbits (neighbor next-door). It was an expensive decision but made growing so much better.

I had so many large beds of lillies and roses. Couldn't keep them before the fence. The deer loved them and ate them to the ground.

Jane

• rene09
    11 years ago

I saw those on TV also, seems to be a good buy but they do not bloom all summer. They put up one or two scapes & it is all over till next year.

11 years ago

Walmart sells garden amaryllis for about $4/ bag.... Just a thought!
    K

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wonder why they advertised those bulbs as blooming all summer.

I didn't order them. I'm enjoying looking at all the beautiful flowers on this forum. Writing down names of different bulbs.

Jane

• seaj
    11 years ago

The local Walmart is selling garden amaryllis for only $2.98. All of the ones I checked were pushing up scapes. They came in red, white, pink, and red & white. I hope there are more left when I go back to the store.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions