Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Would you Take a Look at These Please...

Hi Everyone..There is a new listing on EBay and these seem to be growing in someones yard..They're calling them Minerva..I'm not so sure..what do you think? It's close, but could they be different? I know Minervas can be very variable..Not a bad price $9.00 per bulb,(of course we can't forget the shipping can we..) Would you take a look and tell me what you think please??

Thanks,

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Are These Minerva on EBay?

Comments (40)

• haweha
    12 years ago

The picture shows a "typical" vittatum HEIRLOOM Hybrid. However, this does not mean that actually these will be sold. If I ordered one and received the genuine "Minerva" instead, then I would be rather sorry. Plz ask the seller, beforehand. I would frankly notify him, that I want but a bulb that will produce flowers "as pictured" not a Bulb that he might be reselling from a cheap mass purchase. Then - at-the-latest - he will exactly know that you have the expertise and a CONCISE EXPECTATION and cannot be fooled and will be a troublemaking customer in the very case IF.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much, I will do that right now as I already emailed her to clarify that it was indeed bulbs and not seeds that she was selling...Many thanks again..I guess if these(pictured from her yard) are what she is selling, then I will buy one..!!
    Donna

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Again, Well, she assured me that they would be dug from that row of flowers..I have to believe her so I just ordered one..$14.50 with the shipping...wish me luck...anyone else??

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    12 years ago

I was going to say see if you can get a deal on a few and I'll split them with you!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Alana, I just ordered one..all signed sealed and about to be delivered..go ahead and order one..they look healthy as far as I can see..let me know if you do...you deserve one!!
    Donna

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

That row of flowers is stunning! Good luck with your bulb!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I got my bulb today and I'm pleased..the seller was very accommodating..take a look..I've never seen such a wide neck..is this indicative of anything?

{{gwi:384296}}

{{gwi:384297}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    This is just an update on the Ebay # 3 which I purchased Feb 2012. I had planted it outside in the ground last summer just in case it was virused, it was not!!

So, now it is blooming for me and I am very pleased. The original pictures from the Ebay listing looked sort of an orangey red to me, so was I surprised when it boomed a nice pink with great markings and a nice clear white throat. The stalk is extremely tall and as the flowers are out for a few days, the color turned a coraly pink..The bloom appears to be more of a trumpet shape.

Here she is Ebay # 3!!

{{gwi:384298}}

{{gwi:384299}}
    {{gwi:384300}}

{{gwi:384301}}

and in the bright morning sun..

{{gwi:384302}}

The stalk is about 22" and the bloom is 6". There is also a second pud poking up. It also has a "slight" fragrance after the flower has been out for a few days.

This seller only sold a couple of these bulbs that were growing in her walkway by what looked to be the hundreds.. so, if she offers then again you might want to take a chance...Donna

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Thanks for the follow up photos. I'm wondering, with that fat neck, did the bulb produce a lot of leaves last season? -Tina

• bunnynomnom
    11 years ago

Hi Donna,

Thanks for posting the follow-up. I just checked on ebay and this seller is offering these bulbs again at $8/bulb plus shipping $5.50/bulb and $1.50 for extra bulb. These bulbs look so big and healthy. I just ordered two :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Minerva ebay link

• Fred Biasella
    11 years ago

Hi Donna and all,

After looking at the enormous bulb and the beautiful flowers, I couldn't resist...dang that CHAD!!! So I just purchased two and I can't wait to get them.

Warm Regards,
    Fred

Original Author
    11 years ago

My and Fred,

Well, we just got our power back after 4 full days of darkness and freezing cold, camping by the fireplace, cooking in the fireplace, and frozen pipes!! I haven't even had a chance to check out EBay yet and now that I see that this seller is selling these bulbs again I think I am going to buy another one or two (tomorrow)!

The first stalk was so heavily laden with the beautiful flowers that imagine my dismay when I got up several days ago and it had snapped off and was laying on the floor! It spent the next several days in a vase and I was going to do some hybridizing with it too. But fear not there is another bud emerging and I guess I'll stake this one or at the least I'll lean it up against something. I think you'll be happy with your bulbs guys...The interesting thing about this is the way it changes color..starts of as a solid pink in bud and when it first opens and then as more orange appears it turns a coral color and sort of develops some striations..I think it may have had a bit of fragrance but my mind is so boggled from the past few days I honestly can't remember!!..Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 22:34

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Donna, so sorry to hear about your predicament! That sounds like a miserable experience! Be well. -Tina

Original Author
    11 years ago

Tina,

I meant to answer your question about the number of leaves due to the large long wide neck..no difference in leaf production that I could detect. Of course planted outside in the ground as the seller's pictures indicates, the leaves could be more plentiful. Mine were a nice dark green of the normal width. And then again, she may have had them planted at a very deep depth and they developed their long wide neck just getting to the surface!

I occasionally wake up to fine a scape has bent over or broken as I don't usually stake them. If they're in my kitchen window I have some posts I can tie them to but most of them are on their own. If I detect a leaning in time I prop something against them..this one got away from me. No harm done as I await the second scape...Donna

It's really wonderful to have rejoined civilization! The simple pleasures of switching on a light switch, TVs, the Internet, not sleeping with a coat on and not having to sit on an ice cold toilet seat!!! (really)!!

This post was edited by dondeldux on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 16:16

• Fred Biasella
    11 years ago

Hi Donna,

Oh you poor thing....I'm glad your power has been restored and that you have a warm toilet seat...LOL. Here in lovely Cambridge we have no place to put all this $@%&!*# snow and my poor little dog is wondering what all this stuff is. Anyways, I can't wait to get these bulbs and even though they may not be Minerva, they look beautiful none the less.

Warm Regards,
    Fred

And remember... Just 35 day till SPRING!!!!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Guys, Well I did order just one more of these bulbs and it came today. I can't say that I've ever seen a larger bulb!! I hope you guys got yours and that yours were OK too..Donna

{{gwi:384303}}

{{gwi:384304}}

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Wow, that bulb is definitely a fatty! Hopefully that means there are lots of scapes in there just waiting to show their beauty later in the season!

Thanks for the follow up about these bulbs not necessarily producing more leaves.

-Tina

Original Author
    11 years ago

Help!! Does anyone have any idea why all my pictures in this post are all flattened looking and have lost their resolution?? They are all out of proportion and it seems to be only my pictures. A few on other post have done this too.

I use Picasa but I'm not the only one who does and no one else's pictures seem to be out of whack like mine.

This began with the new Garden Web format. I'm not happy, no sense in posting pictures that look ridiculous....Donna

• Fred Biasella
    11 years ago

Hi Donna,

Yeah what's with that? The pictures looked great the other day, now they look like me...short and fat!!! Anyways, I just got mine in the mail and I'll be doing some potting on this icky snowy day. BTW the Bolero x self seeds I sowed two weeks ago are all starting to sprout (nearly 100% germination!) and it looks like I'm gonna be giving away lots of seedlings quite soon!!!

Warm Regards,
    Fred

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Try posting directly from 'My Pictures Folder' and don't use Picassa. Looks like the size is being reduced improperly. You can post directly from your computer since GW made that available.

Jane

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Jane,

I do post directly from my picture gallery when I only want to post one picture but everybody knows me, as I usually post too many, can't seem to stop myself. I suppose I could do each picture in a different message, since Garden Web now allows you to post simultaneous messages (unlike before without changing the subject line).

I am going to post the one picture from my picture gallery just to test it...

Xuan is having the same problem with her photos in her recent post and likewise, she has Picasa. So it must just be a Picasa issue. Always worked fine before! If it doesn't clear up and continues to do this I'll email Tamara and see what she can do about this.

Xuan suggested to click on the picture and it takes you to the Picasa album where the resolution is correct. It works, I tried it so, EVERYBODY, JUST CLICK ON THE SHORT FAT PICTURES TO SEE THE REAL DEAL!!!

Fred, I'm surprised yours took so long as you ordered yours a few days before I did! I was sweating it that it would arrive before the snow but it came on Fri. If you haven't already potted yours, would you take a picture, I'd be interested to see what you got!!...This storm is a wimp compared to the last one, stay warm everyone...Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Looks like your photo in this post is ok.
    K

• Fred Biasella
    11 years ago

Hi Donna,

I just finished potting them up and they look just like yours, the only difference is that they each have a scape showing. The other thing is one of my many interspecific Clivia that just starting showing a scape, so brought out of it's winter slumber. It's a very beautiful drooping red flower that should be in bloom by early March.

Warm Regards,
    Fred

This post was edited by amaryllisfred on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 22:34

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

Wow, that's an impressive size! I hope it blooms really well for you!

Original Author
    11 years ago

The fact that they haven't bloomed yet is a good indication that maybe mine will send up some scapes too. It has one leaf up about 1 & 1/2 inch and it was yellow but has greened right up. With my first bulb from last year I had to wait until this Feb to see it flower and it was good sized but only half the size of this one! Good luck with yours and if you post your blooming clivia on the Yahoo site I will see it. I'm just a voyeur as I don't have anything to add yet.

I'm going to try an experiment with my pictures. There are five choices of sizes of pictures that I can post to the forum from Picasa and I always used the large. I am going to post one picture in each size and see what happens. Please bear with me with some of these unrelated photos. I know when I first posted my pictures on this thread they were fine and only the last few days have undergone this distortion.
    Lets see what happens now...

Thanks,

Donna

Actually there are 5 choices of sizes this is thumbnail:

{{gwi:384305}}

This is small 288 px

{{gwi:384306}}

this is the first medium
    400 px

{{gwi:384307}}

second medium, 640 px

{{gwi:384309}}

and the large again, 800 px

{{gwi:384311}}

Sorry to bore you but now I've posted one of each of the choices of sizes and lets see what happens!

This post was edited by dondeldux on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 16:18

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, it appears that the first medium is as large as one can now go using Picasa..Xuan are you seeing this?

And just remember everyone that you can enlarge anyone's pictures' Photobucket as well as Picasa by just clicking on the picture (as Xuan said) and see them in their larger size. I'm wondering if this resolution problem goes back to pictures posted before this format change..I certainly hope not, that would be awful if years of posting ended up with pancake pictures!!! I'm almost afraid to look.....Donna

One more picture of Toby using the first medium and the I'll leave you all alone....;-)

400 px

{{gwi:384313}}

WELL, MY WORST FEARS HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED, ALL THE OLD POSTS HAVE DEFORMED PICTURES TOO... S%$T...!!!

This post was edited by dondeldux on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 16:40

• haxuan
    11 years ago

Oh...really, Donna? That's too bad!

Just recently, when I chose 400pix...the photos came out correctly.

Xuan

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Darn... I had to buy some of these too! I ended up going with one of the huge bulbs and a set of the 10 smaller bulbs. I had to have a big bulb so I could enjoy the blooms without a long wait!

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

The seller didn't offer combined shipping with what I purchased, which was a disappointment... but she did include extras of the small bulbs! So, it all evens out in the end! Several of the small bulbs will probably bloom by the end of summer, they're not tiny bulbs by any means. My large bulb arrived pushing two scapes! It's big and healthy. Can't wait for the blooms! -Tina

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

Did u notice that the pictures are back to normal?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, well that's a relief, Thank you Garden Web gremlins!!..;-)

This post was edited by dondeldux on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 6:58

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

My humongous bulb (2nd bulb) that I bought of Ebay # 3 has bloomed with it's first scape. There are 6 flowers and the color is a bit more intense in this bulb. The color is really unique I can't quite put my finger on it. It is pink to the coral side and in some lights there is some cherry red and orange in there too. A very bright bulb and hubby has commented on it twice! If I could grow bulbs outside I would most definitly want several clumps of this one. I would say it should have a very long blooming time outside as the second scape is just starting to emerge as it did on my first bulb so this bulb should bloom for many weeks. MIne will have to make the best of it in their pots. A very slight fragrance...slight, I don't know what it would do on a warm spring day...

Four of six flowers are out on this first stalk:

{{gwi:384315}}

I have two seedpods on my first bulb, Lima and papilio. No telling how far they will go though.

{{gwi:384316}}

I know several others of you bought these bulbs too and I'm wondering how yours are doing and whether or not you are pleased with them??

Donna

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I guess nobody's interested in this flower but I'm going to bore you with just one more picture anyway...

I was finally able to capture this the way it looks during the day without a flash to show all the colors this flower exhibits..

Donna

{{gwi:384317}}

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

That is gorgeous Donna! That really would make a bold statement in the landscape. If you have extra seeds I'd be happy to give them a try outside. I know what you mean about the color being variable, the pass along varieties I have here have that quality. And I've also noticed that the temperature and amount of sun they get changes the color too. Flowers coming out of the same bulb a week or two apart are very different colors this year on some of my bulbs due to variances in the weather.

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

I bought some of these bulbs too. I hate to admit it... I haven't potted them up yet and they are blooming in the box. They are still gorgeous! I was considering cutting the scapes and putting the flowers on my desk at work (I have a horrible windowless office... it would be nice to bring a bit of the outdoors into my office!). My initial plan was to plant them in the ground. However, I'm planning to move within the next year and I'd like to take these with me (without having to dig them up during the already chaotic mess of moving). If I spent less time ogling flowers online, I could have had these poor bulbs planted by now... despite my 50-60+ hour work weeks! -Tina

Original Author
    11 years ago

Angela,

I'll self a flower or two for you for sure. As far as I know this seller is still selling a box of 25 smaller bulbs. That might be a good deal for someone like you who can grow them outside..you could get several instant clumps with 25 bulbs and they would be true...;-)

Tina, cut them for sure. I do that often when I have doubles and I know I won't be hybridizing with them and they do look so lovely in a vase..

I promise, this is the last picture, taken without flash just before sunset, a little before 7:pm and you can see how the color changes yet again. This should be named Chameleon !!

Donna

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Thanks Donna! I'd love some selfed seed. Right now I'm restraining myself with difficulty from buying bulbs. I am working on getting compost laid down in my planting bed and moving around the bulbs I've got, before I start adding more bulbs. But once that's done, the floodgates open for filling the planned gaps with new hippi seeds/bulbs=)

• bunnynomnom
    11 years ago

Hi Donna,

Wow, I'm excited to see those nice pictures. I bought a bulb from her too and it's coming up with a scape right now. I'm curious on how long one flower (not the whole scape of flower) usually lasts? You said yours has weeks of blooming time. Cupido is the first thing that bloomed for me, but it seems a flower only lasts for 2 days before wilting away while another flower on the scape is getting ready to bloom. Overall, it just seems so quick, the blooms come and go in a week :(

Original Author
    11 years ago

My,

I was referring to the fact that the first scape has totally finished blooming before the second scape appears..giving you over a week of flowering per scape, and several more days incuding the bud stage and, I'm sure in some of the largest bulbs 3 scapes would give you 3 weeks of blooms not to mention if in a large clump their blooming would be staggered also so I could forsee a whole month of blooms from a clump of 10 or so bulbs.

This of course is just conjecture on my part as I am forced to grow mine in pots...

If you'd post pictures of your flowers when they are fully open I would love to see them. I'm hoping they were as pretty (just my opinion) as mine.

I didn't take note of how long an individual flower was out but it was a good long time with 6 flowers.

I had two promising seedpods on my first bulb; x papilio and x Lima and they are now shriveling so I am facing imminent failure, something I've had a lot of this season.

I am trying some crosses on the second bulb as well as a self or two to give away...

Donna

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

You are correct Donna. An in ground clump will flower for 2-4 weeks, depending on how staggered its scapes are. And different varieties bloom a slightly different times, so for me the overall bloom season is 4-6 weeks. Still brief, but spectacular.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists