Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missruthy

Where do I find the seeds on a hippy?

missruthy
13 years ago

Sorry if this is redundant but I've searched this forum and cannot find an answer.

I bought 5 bulbs from Scheepers in the fall. Two are at the end of their blooming cycle. The flowers are shriveling and I'm guessing that the seeds (if any) are at the base of the flower. I hope you don't think this is an idiotic question but I am new at this and would love to harvest any seeds I may find. I don't even know if all amaryllises have seeds. Sorry to be so clueless of what are most likely very basic botany facts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (5)

• haweha
    13 years ago

Image search on GOOGLE provides you with an idea.
    Click on the link given at the bottom.

BUT!

As to GOOGLE image search I have a general remark and WARNING respectively, THOUGH! It has come to my attention, that some webpages are infected OR have even been solely designed, to redirect to a FAKE warning as
    "Your Computer is at risk of Malware attack" that it creates a faked hardware (storage media) analysis and ends up with disturbing diagnosis as "You computer is infected by" + a BIIIG listing.

IF you click on a thumbnail, alway pay ATTENTION, and IF a GREEN CIRCLE shows up in the center of the window THEN press [ALT]+[F4]. WHILE you keep [ALT] pressed, click [F4] repeatedly until windows are closed. You should strictly avoid clicking on any of the fake menues on the popup windows created by the site: It could start the DownLoad of malicious Software

One page of that kind, that it conspicuously often appears on Image search is
    fivecurtaincalls.com

(I already reported it to GOOGLE)

but there is MANY other addresses that these are malicious also...
    Beware!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hippeastrum seeds

• haweha
    13 years ago

IF I click on the link I provided above, then, on the maximized window, appears an array of 3 lines of images each 7 images.
    The 3rd line, 6th image (shows seeds lined up in a sand bed - obviously a STOLEN IMAGE) redirects to a malicious site.
    If your Computer is not secured by Antivirus Software, then do not even attempt for curiosty, to open this site, with the name

griffeyisback.com

Do not forget, in the case of the cases

[ALT] + [F4]

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Hi Ruthie,

You can probably pollinate your remaining bulbs that haven't flowered yet, by just putting pollen either from the same flower (selfed) or by another of your flowers. Just use a Q-tip or even your finger to brush the pollen on the stigma when the filament bends up and the 3 lobes of the stigma open up. If you just want some seeds to experiment with then just do as many as you wish and with some luck a few of them will form seedpods. The seedpods usually take 4 to 6 weeks to form if they don't abort before hand and they look like a tiny green bell pepper. I have attached some pictures of some seed pods below and if you do get to the point where your pods ripen, at that time you can ask the forum again what your next step should be. If you aren't successful and you want to try your hand with some seeds, I for one would be happy to send you some seeds to experiment with as I'm sure some others would also. I'm in MA, so not too far away. Let us know how you make out.

Donna

You can see on the upper right picture of the 4 pictures the smaller pod, that one didn't take and was removed shortly after the picture was taken..

{{gwi:384328}}

Here is a pod that had ripened and opened and a few days later I was able to harvest the seeds...

{{gwi:384329}}

Good Luck and keep us posted and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask...

• missruthy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

haweha, thanks for the pix and the warning! I've gotten that fake popup many times on various sites I've opened and didn't know the alt/f4 trick you provided. I will use it when necessary.

Donna, those are great pix! I gather that I need to pollinate the remaining bulbs. In other words, is that the way to get seeds? Are they not on any of the flowers without having to do anything to them? I apologize for asking what I regard as really noob questions but I managed to avoid all science courses in college.

I actually received some hippie seeds about 5 years ago which I planted. They are now about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. I need to repot them and just haven't gotten around to it.

I would love to experiment with the seeds you so kindly offered. Is there a way to pm one another?

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Hi Ruthie,

Yes, you do have to pollinate your flowers to get viable seedpods..that should yield dozens of seeds. Occasionally, some pollen will just happen to fly through the air, (on inside plants)and they will provide you with a seedpod with out any intervention from you..and you may think it's a miracle, but it's not... (outside..the wind and insects can do it for you) so give it a whirl. Like I said, it's easy, just use a Q-tip and dab away.

If you click on my dondeldux it will take you to my page (you can do that with everyone on the forums) and there is a place you can send me an email. Once you email me I will let you know when I have some seeds, should be within the next two weeks, and then every few weeks thereafter. When I have seeds, all you need to do in give me your mailing address (in a private email) and I can send some seeds out to you. My husband is always happy to mail any letter or package that take seed OUT of the house..HaHa..

Donna

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?