Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

Exotic Star Surprise!...Or is It?

aveo5
12 years ago

Hi. Well my 2 big Exotic Star bulbs are finally in bloom. Both put out 2 nice tall flower scapes, and they are just starting to open...but in one bulb, I just saw a 3rd flower scape popping out of the center! Is this common for this bulb? Or have I hit the jackpot?

It is just showing,the other 2 scapes are over 18in tall,and the first one is open now, the second is a few days away from opening. I am watching the other bulb to see if I get a 3rd from it as well.

But is this RARE, or common, or a fluke?

Figured I would tell you all and ask if anyone else has had this happen to them. This is it bulbs first bloom,at least for me. I got it them in Dec. So they are forced dormant bulbs. But this was a big shock to me! I have never seen an amaryllis put out 3 flower scapes.

Is it a big deal,or a common thing? Should i expect 3 scapes next year? Or its a shot in the dark if it happens again?

Comments (9)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Hi Aveo..Occasionally, some of these new huge bulbs will put out 3 scapes..I have a new Charisma that is putting out it's third scape right now (the other 2 had finished blooming and are ripening seedpods )And, I have a Santiago with 3 scapes pushing up simultaneously. It happens.. but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to perform like this another year..you might get 2 scapes though..and after all, that's better than some bulbs put out..Enjoy your Exotic Star she is a beauty!! My Exotic Star is 3 years old and it's first year it put out 3 scapes with 4 flowers on each..not all at once though..it has since grown into a huge bulb and now it gives me one scape at a time..first in Nov last year and another right now...I love Exotic Star..even with all it's drool..
    It's

Donna

12 years ago

Just me again..and now that I think if it I had two other NEW huge bulbs this year put out 3 scapes but on both Nymph and Pink Nymph, one of the buds shriveled..so I forgot to count those..since they didn't actually bloom on 3 scapes..some of these huge bulbs obviously had better care during their dormancy period than others...If you saved any of your papilio pollen try putting it on a few of your Exotic Star blooms...

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

My Donau from a secret Hippi pal is putting out 3 scapes as well...YAY!!!

Kristi

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

My 'Donau' put out three scapes last year, it was horrible virused so I threw it out, it was pretty tho.

All the 'Exotic Star' bulbs I have bought have put out three scapes on their maiden bloom and they sure are beautiful in a group like that!

My 'Santiago' is pushing out three scapes right now too, Donna!

12 years ago

How far up are your 3 Santiago scapes..mine are all about 2, 4 and 6 inches..I've never seen all three come up at the same time..usually the third one comes up later (for me anyway) should be quite a show!! Can't wait to see them..yours and mine! Capuccino has one stalk just starting to slowly open....I'm getting antsy..and by the way Josh, I wrote to Saad-Asaf about 10 days ago and have heard nothing back..I guess I won't bother them again, I don't want to be a pest, maybe I got their crown jewel...??

Donna

• rene09
    12 years ago

I have a Charmuer purchased this year, that is putting up its 4th scape. I have never seen one put up that many. 2 are still in bloom. I am afraid there will be nothing left of the bulb!!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

I had an Exotica put up 4. It was amazing. That remains one of my strongest bulb.

The Donau, by the way, has a bud opening just at the top of the neck....scape is Kristi

12 years ago

Rene,

Chances are good that you're right, there won't be much left of your bulb after 4 scapes..it will need lots of TLC, summer sun and regular doses of fertilizer over the growing season, but you can do it...! You'll probably never get 3 scapes again let alone 4 but 2 scapes is just fine for a re-bloom..make everyone happy...

Donna

• johnsonm08
    12 years ago

I got 3 scapes from both Black Pearl and Sweet Nymph. The SN flowers are smaller that the first 2 scapes, but the BP is still awesome.
    Mike

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions