Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Hippeastrum blossfeldiae

joshy46013
12 years ago

Hi Guys,

Here is another Hippeastrum from the orange clade, it is much larger than H. striatum and much prettier in my opinion.

{{gwi:384549}}

Comments (9)

• houstonpat
    12 years ago

Good lookin Josh. Well done.

• lenanen
    12 years ago

Beautiful vivid color, very nice!

I have H. blossfeldiae -seedlings growing, great to see what I can expect in the future.

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Really very, very pretty. The colors and shape are GREAT. Thanks for highlighting it and for sharing the eye candy. Happy gardening!

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys,

The orange really is electric like, it's a truly beautiful Hippeastrum.

This picture is very accurate to the actual plant.

• jimnpa (zone6a PA USA)
    12 years ago

Very nice, Josh!

How do you cultivate this species? I understand that the bulb needs to be completely covered in a "sandy" medium, since its natural habitat is the sand dunes of the Atlantic ocean beaches in Brazil. Mine is currently "resting". I re-potted it, up to its neck, in a very porous turface/pumice/fir bark fines mix last fall after it struggled to grow in my usual hippeastrum potting mix.

Thanks, Jim

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

That is awesome! What a vibrant color! Thanks for sharing! If yours sets seed & you have to share I'd be very interested.

I am intrigued by its natural habitat being sand dunes. I am growing seedlings to go into my yard, where the ground is nearly all sand. Good to know that some species prefer that.

Angela

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Guys,

I grow this plant in a very inorganic mix, granite chips, pumice and so on. I do not have this plant completely buried in the mix, it's about half above. I keep it moist while in growth and quite dry in dormancy. H. blossfeldiae takes a couple month rest. It is said that most clones of H. blossfeldiae are tetraploid, the flowers are about 6 inches across the face and incredibly beautiful! This is a plant you must see in person to believe the electric color and beauty of the twitsted tepals.

I have selfed the plant, sometimes it sets seed, we will see what happens :)

Josh

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Thanks for the great information on how you grow this variety Josh. That is amazing that those are 6" across! With a flower that large, how tall is the scape? If your seedpod sets and you'd be willing to part with some seeds (for postage or trade) please do let me know=)

Angela

• bluebonsai101
    12 years ago

Lovely pic Josh!! I have to say that mine have been in the same pot since the seed were planted and they have naturally grown about half above the soil. They may go deep in their natural environment because of the heat? Sandy beaches are very hot as everyone knows so maybe they burrow to the cool sane below? Good growin' Josh :o) Dan