Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Giant seed pod!!

I'm sure there are bigger pods, but this Royal Velvet x Dancing Queen is the largest I've had at my house!
K

Comments (16)

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Wowzers! I hope it is full of big, beautiful, viable seeds! -Tina

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tina,

I'll post photos once it's opened. I'm thinking they will be huge seeds too! Fat and healthy seedlings!! I have another huge pod (Temptation x Jewel) that promises many fat seeds too.

A few very disappointing pods failed, but many are making it, so...3 years from now I hope to have more amazing blooms. Waiting for several of my own creations to bloom this year....that's what it's all about. We enjoy the beauty of the known hybrids and try to create our own!
    K

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

Stunning, I'm still waiting for mine to start to bloom.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

I only have one bloom shoot and it never seems to produce seeds. But I will not give up trying, The fun is in sprouting the seeds. Almost all the rest are still sleeping with our 50 degree nights most of my flower bed is very slow getting started. Our weather seems to go from cool to hot in a very short time. Our weather has been wet so my day-lilies should do great this year so I need to try to pollinate them as I see there seems to be a big demand for seeds here all the time.

• Fred Biasella
    11 years ago

Hi Kristi,

That is massive, I hope it produces lots of seeds :-) !!! My Bolero x self produced boat loads of seeds and now I have about 50 seedlings going strong. As soon as they grow a bit, I'll have lots to share (If anybody wants them).

Warm Regards,
    Fred

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

I love it when a pod gets huge. Last year I had a pod that got so big that I had to make an image. That pod apparently really loved the pollen it received. hehe.

{{gwi:384585}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

Names of parents??
    K

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't know. The mother was from a friend who purchased a house and sent me a couple bulbs that were growing in her yard, back in '03/'04. The father was supposed to be 'Candy Floss' from Edensblooms. No one could positively identify what it really is. So they're both NOIDs in my book.

I still have some seeds but I wasn't sure if anyone wanted seeds from noids.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Here is another giant seedpod with Dancing Queen..one of the largest I've had.. and then there is this one, same cross slightly smaller pod, different bulb but I don't like the pedicel, what do you think?

{{gwi:384586}}

Donna

• fishing_dentist
    11 years ago

Thatôs huge!!!
    Kristi You live near an atomic test area? :-)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry... No atomic waste here!!
    Very vigorous seedlings too, very quick to sprout!
    K

Original Author
    11 years ago

My Lima x Evergreen pods finally split tonight. The pods weren't huge, but full of mostly fat seeds. With both being cybisters, I am hopeful. One Evergreen scape had 9 blooms and I've had as many as 11!!

I don't recall having so many flat seeds, without seemingly fat embryos as what I've had in some pods this spring... guess they just werent meant to be!! I have tried some "impossible" crosses, but remain hopeful.

The Temptation x Jewel pod was healthy and so were the seeds. They want to grow so much that they are sprouting in the little tub I've stored them in!!! Jewel seems to be a very giving pollen donor.

K

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

I had a huge pod on my Vegas x Jewel cross. I was surprised with such a big pod, there was quite a lot of chaff. It produced a lot of viable seeds too... but I would say there was a 50/50 mix of good seed to chaff. Green Dragon x Evergreen was a disappointment... only about 15 seeds with embryos and a few of those looked misshapen and may not sprout. Green Dragon x Jewel yielded better results. I agree that Jewel seems to be a good pollen donor. -Tina

• heddysue
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I am after seeds, I am new to hippeastrum collecting and have lots of space and have developed quite a passion for these beautiful flowers.
    I am willing to pay something or at least pay postage
    for any seeds you would be willing to part with, I'm not fussed whether they are named or not so long as they are beautiful :) Everytime I go on the web I see so many beautiful varieties that I don't have and have never heard of in Australia and I drool. :)
    So please keep me in mind if you have extra seed.
    thanks
    H

Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow...I was potting up some seedlings today and realized how vigorous these Royal Velvet x Dancing Queen seedlings are. They are just 3 months old and some already have 4 leaves!!
    K

• HU-17497
    10 years ago

wow they must really want to live that or there's something in the water there

Sponsored
More Discussions