Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonstone

This can't be Candy Floss... Is it?

dragonstone
12 years ago

I bought Candy Floss from Edensblooms. The image on their site shows flowers that are... REALLY hot-pink. I know that companies fart around with pictures and make them a shade of color that they're not... but the stamen and anthers are depicted as white.

The first bloom opened today with several others pretty much getting there. Took these in the evening sun.

{{gwi:384849}}

{{gwi:384850}}

The one below was brought in and placed under white light with flash.

{{gwi:384851}}

It's coming out more dark pink to red, and the anther/stamens are pink.

Comments (22)

• jimnpa (zone6a PA USA)
    12 years ago

Nope, another mis-labeled bulb.

These are my H. 'Candy Floss' from last year.
    {{gwi:384852}}

Jim

• dragonstone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh WOW! Yours are awesome. Thanks Jim. Do you happen to know what mine is?

I guess I'll e-mail Edensblooms about this.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Dragonstone, At first I thought they might be Candy Floss, but too many differences. Notice the purple stigma.. that is indicative of Flair.. but the filiments on yours are very dark and it's got a lot of color in the throat, and the body color is much darker..actually I think it's quite pretty, good color and rosy filiments and purple stamen..but what it is.. I don't know. Here are my Candy Floss, and Flair..just for more comparisons..

Candy floss with and without flash..

{{gwi:384853}}

{{gwi:384854}}

Flair..

{{gwi:384855}}

{{gwi:384856}}

It's not too bad in the world of mislabels..rather pretty but, a mislabel none the less..I'm going to do some more digging..maybe I can come up with something..certainly should be easier to ID than the dark reds....!
    Donna

12 years ago

Here is another close-but-no-cigar..Vera..but that deep color in the throat of yours is the stickler..

{{gwi:384857}}

12 years ago

Try googling 'Milady'..I had found a picture from a certain Garden Site and Garden Web wouldn't let me mention their name or post a link from their site.. they said they have had numerous spam attacks from that site and all mention of that site had been blocked!! It's ----'s Garden...take a look, I think it might be Milady.
    Lets see if this goes through....

• dragonstone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for helping, Donna. :)

I went to DG like you suggested. I think the white stripes on his flower are weaker. The bottom three petals don't seem to have any white while mine does. He mentioned Hadeco in the description (Mine is supposedly a Hadeco bulb too) of his picture so I went to Hadeco's site... Their version of Milady doesn't match at all: Milady

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

The picture on the Hadeco sight isn't color correct, I do agree with Donna, you have 'Milady'

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

While the coloring on Hadeco's site is usually incorrect (past observation) my dumb self was looking at the wrong picture..

I'm SURE you have 'Summertime' :)

pic below

Here is a link that might be useful: Summertime *note the throat and speckling in midribs*

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!

Wrong picture again......... long night

I was looking at 'Milady' DARN IT

Note the speckling in the midribs and the color of the throat...

JEEZE, last time, i promise :)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:370202}}

• dragonstone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I went to look at his page to see how he utilized the image. Even though the image is named Milady, he has it filed under Summertime.

Do you think he bought it named as Milady but later corrected it to Summertime?

Here is a link that might be useful: Url the Milady image is on - but as Summertime

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Maybe go dig around Emaryllis.com and see what you can find!

Joshy...Summertime is one of my faves and that didn't look at all like it, so now I'm confused. Are you saying this is Milady or Summerime??

Donna...note the purple on the stigma...oh....like the Queen of Hearts controversy!...and my sexy Apple Blossom!

I don't think this looks like our Summertime, since there was just a thread about a bloom with a couple of spots of color in the throat.
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: recent Summertime link

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

What about considering LaForest Morton regarding the coloration in the throat? On Emaryllis, Bill shows no red coloration in the throat of Milady, but ranks Pink Surprise, LaForest Morton, and Milady in a similar pink color grouping.
    Just a thought.
    Kristi

Here is a link that might be useful: Emaryllis.com Milday with links to PS and LaF M

12 years ago

I'm sticking with Milady..that pic from Josh's URL labeled Summertime is the right flower, right down to the purple stigma but as Kristi says, I believe it's NOT Summertime..I would venture a guess that it is a mislabeled Milady.. then I was thinking Hercules, but I can't find a picture with the purple stigma..Actually, I like the color of Dragonstone's flower..Oh, and I couldn't find a picture of LaForest Morton with a purple stigma either..we'll just have to keep looking.

Doesn't anyone on this forum have a Milady??

12 years ago

Here is a picture from Edensblooms that I blew up the center of..this is Milady from Edensblooms..note the purple stigma (I know it's faint..) and all the white mixed in with the pink.( just like Dragonstone's flower) Now I know that the color is different. but most of these photos (never mine!!) are photoshopped to give the desired color.. Just like I think someone already said, they thought they were selling Candy Floss and they discovered thay had Milady...

{{gwi:384858}}

As Forest Gump says

• jimnpa (zone6a PA USA)
    12 years ago

Donna and Kristi, this is my 'Milady' from last year. It is a very uniform pink color with a very faint, 'whitish' band running through the length of each petal. The very tip of each petal also is white. The style and filaments are an intense pink and the stigma is white.
    {{gwi:384859}}

{{gwi:384860}}

Jim

12 years ago

Oh Oh.. I see that white stigma..(another fancy stigma mystery)...So, I guess it's not Milady..Jim.. yours is very lovely...thanks for putting and end to my Milady theory..
    Donna

• dragonstone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I looked through Emaryllis but I didn't really find anything there.

It certainly enjoys dropping a lot of pollen. Once the stigmas open up, I plan to self it to see if any pods take.

12 years ago

Hi,

Well, I think I got one of what Dragonstone received instead of Candy Floss. Mine was under the label of HERCULES!! I see Jimnpa's Milady has petaloids which one of my other flower has..(not so much on the picture I took). At first I thought it might be another Pink Diamond but as it opened I could see it wasn't. The stigma hasn't lifted itself up yet so I can't see if it's got the marks..If it's clear, maybe I have a Milady, I guess I'd better Google Hercules and she what she looks like...Does anyone think mine looks like Dragonstones? Does anyone have a good picture of Hercules?

Donna
    Pink Diamond is on the left..

{{gwi:384861}}

{{gwi:384862}}

{{gwi:384863}}

• dragonstone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They sent a replacement bulb that has a tip of a scape pushing out but it's damaged. The bulb seems to be okay, I think. It has a daughter bulb growing there.

{{gwi:384864}}

So.. take two, I guess? hehe.

• dragonstone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't think the scape would follow through but after two long months, it finally pushed that scape out and it bloomed. It's been open for a couple days and I was waiting for it to open all the way but it doesn't seem to want to open all that much.

{{gwi:384865}}

It's the same exact as the first one I got. I won't be e-mailing Edensblooms though. Aaron told me in an e-mail when he sent the replacement bulb that he believed my original bulb is indeed a Candy Floss but sent the replacement in case. I could tell him this second one turned out the same but if all his Candy Floss are like this, there's really no need to e-mail him again.

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

It's so sad that there are so many mislabels! I guess it must happen with almost all bulbs and corms.

I had quite a surprise this week when yellow & white iris opened up in a pot I'd planted with mixed bulbs... I'm guessing it was a mix up with the dark blue/purple irises I thought I'd purchased. In the case of the irises, it's been a nice mistake... the flowers are surprisingly cheery! I definitely did NOT buy any flowers that match the descriptions of the ones that are currently in bloom!

• snowdogmama
    11 years ago

The mislabeled bulb isn't the sellers fault. The big wholesalers get most of their bulbs in bulk from growers in Holland, and the amaryllis are considered a temporary house plant by the growers. A mislabeled batch of bulbs is just an 'oh well' situation. As long as the color is similar as the one named the wholesaler/middleman considers the bulb ok. The retailer would struggle to get a refund on the mislabelled bulbs and replacements with the correct bulb would be impossible.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm