Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

What's Pink and Green and Red All Over?

jodik_gw
15 years ago

Why, Hippeastrums, of course!

It's a beautiful day! The temperature is springlike, the sun is shining, and I'm totally cheating on my diet! I'm enjoying a chocolate malt from Dairy Queen right now! It even has whipped cream on top! Life doesn't get better than this... except maybe if you add some beautiful blooms to the picture!

I just happened to get what I think are some better photos of my current bloomers, and most are mature and prettier now than when they first opened.

Bogota (formerly thought to be Ruby Meyer)...

{{gwi:384931}}

{{gwi:384932}}

Exposure...

{{gwi:384933}}

{{gwi:384934}}

Lemon Star...

{{gwi:384935}}

{{gwi:384937}}

Queen of Hearts...

{{gwi:384939}}

{{gwi:384941}}

Red Peacock...

{{gwi:384942}}

{{gwi:384943}}

Hymenocallis...

{{gwi:384944}}

Limona Seed Pods...

{{gwi:384945}}

The Jungle, starring Bogota...

{{gwi:384946}}

Thank you once again for joining me on a tour of the Jungle... please watch your step on the way out, and do come back soon to visit! I so enjoy your company!

Happy Gardening!

Comments (20)

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Gorgeous as always!!

• e36yellowm3
    15 years ago

Wow! I think I love the Queen of Hearts. Is she so shimmery in person as she appears in the picture?

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Jodi, Bogota is YUMMY!! I love it's rich color.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!

Queen of Hearts is loaded with shimmery fairy dust in person! She shines when the light hits her just right! I hope she gains a little height next bloom cycle, and I hope she's just as full of fairy dust!

Bogota is a very rich brick red! I think the photo colors are pretty accurate. She really stands out, I can tell you!

I've got to start thinking of who I'm breeding to who, here, very shortly! Some of these guys will begin to fade soon... lots of nice possibilities!

• haxuan
    15 years ago

My favorite is Bogota. Such a color!
    Thanks for sharing, Jodi.

Xuan

• juan_grow
    15 years ago

Hi Jodi all of them are beautiful, bogota is similar to sumatra?
    Regards

• brigarif Khan
    15 years ago

Loveable pets arent they?

• citrusnut
    15 years ago

It was so pleasant visiting your place. Your plants are just beautiful. Bogata is such an unusual and rich color.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Jodi,

Thanks for garden tour of your jungle. I love that bogota, such bold, beautiful looking flowers.
    Queen of heart with her gliters...very pretty.
    All your hipps look very happy in your jungle.

Jan

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, everyone! If Bogota's bulb is relatively fast to recover from blooming and to gain size, it'll become one of my favorites! The flower scapes are sturdy, and the blooms are simply fabulous!

Sumatra is another cybister I have, and enjoyed last year, though it's a bit more spidery than Bogota. The colors are very similar, and it's obvious the two are rather closely related, along with Grandeur.

Queen of Hearts has the most fairy dust of any flower I've had so far, I think... it's getting selfed and bred to Lemon Star today!

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Oh, Jodi, I hope the fairy dust from Queen of Hearts makes the genetic transfer over to the Lemon Star hybrid! That would be incredible.

• anna_in_quebec
    15 years ago

Enchanting!

• ryan820
    15 years ago

Jodik that flower has fantastic colors-- wow that is amazing! It almost makes me think it would be a poisonous flower-- as you well know in nature such brilliantly colored things are often very dangerous. I suppose if you eat it, you prolly won't feel good anyway-- but it is amazing!

Eagles Nest Ryan

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It would be nice to see more fairy dust on the greenish yellow flowers... I have a few breeding choices, so... I'll be thinking long and hard this afternoon!

Bogota's coloring is very nice in person... it sort of does remind one of something dangerous in nature... I won't be having a Bogota salad any time soon!

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

I like the Bogota and Queen of Hearts but they are all nice! My pink Diamond is startig to peek open, keeping me in suspense.
    Shawn

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're so lucky! My Pink Diamond turned out to be a stressed Minerva... so much for sale priced bulbs at Walmart! Oh well... you win some, and you lose some... the lesson is, you get what you pay for most times! I'd be very interested in seeing your Pink Diamond when it opens!

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

I will be sure to post pics.....but let me say mine is from walmart too so I hope it is labeled right, lol
    Shawn

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

Jodi, Bogota approaches a chocolate color. Maybe try breeding to get more chocolately?

I am planning a cross today that has me salivating! Not for chocolate though. I have been enjoying my Monte Carlo for 2 weeks now....huge blooms of a soft rosey red with white star, It is next to my delicious peach colored Nagano. I wonder what the result will be of that... I can imagine some beautiful possibilities! Sure glad I picked up that NAgano at the grocery store! I do not like "Salmon" colored flowers but when I think of it as "Peach" it is so lovely...also graceful and long lasting.

• kitty747
    15 years ago

Jodi, as always, your blooms are gorgeous. I think it's because you love them so much. I'm sort of like a mother who didn't know when to stop having kids. You love them all, but I think somehow they feel they don't get enough of that special love they all deserve so much.

My Bogota is just about through blooming now and appears to have seed growing. It's tall, over 30 inches although it has had good lighting the whole time. And the color was more red than yours. I'm hoping it may have a second scape.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not sure who to cross Bogota with, it being a cybister. I do have Exotic Star about to open... so, there's a possibility. I will self at least one bloom, of course. This particular bulb has two scapes, so there will be another chance to breed more.

Lizalily, I think Nagano will be lovely crossed with Monte Carlo! I like the peachy color of salmon blooms, though salmon should actually be more pink than peach, according to color descriptions. Pastel colors are always lovely, I think.

Thanks, Kitty! I'm such a mother hen! I do have quite a few to check on a regular basis, and I'm sure some do feel a little bit left out! :-) I have to remember not to hover, though... I don't want to love them too much, and risk killing any with kindness! I do tend to go overboard with collecting... but I can't help it!

I think your Bogota probably gets more light than mine, and I think scape height is sort of individual to the bulb, adding in environment and care.

Shawn, I've got my fingers crossed that your bulb is a Pink Diamond! I've been wanting to see one since I bought this Walmart special... good thing I love Minerva!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County
More Discussions