Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

What's Blooming currently:

I have a few things in bloom right now and a few things on the way.

I have a large noid orange that I've had for many years and even though I don't know what it is it's quite pretty if you like orange which I do.

{{gwi:385114}}

the 4 flowers came out simultaneously which hasn't happened for me much this year.

{{gwi:385115}}

and I finally got a my Elvas to give me a pretty flower although only 2 on this scape..

{{gwi:385116}}

and my fragrant Ebay # 1 which only gave me 3 flowers on this scape..

{{gwi:385117}}

{{gwi:385118}}

and Fairy Tale with 3 flowers..

{{gwi:385119}}

and Lilystar with only 2 flowers..

{{gwi:385120}}

and one last good shot of Party Animal..

{{gwi:385121}}

Thanks for looking,

Donna

Comments (29)

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Donna,
    Great photos! I particularly like party animal. Are those blooms all from a single bulb?
    Bill

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill,

There are two large bulbs in the same pot that gave me 3 scapes for a total of 10 flowers more or less simultaneously!

Donna

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

nice collection!
    i love red/white 'striped' ones the most. the party animal is just stunning! but it's nice to mix in few reds to offset them better.

• fishing_dentist
    10 years ago

Your Party animal is a great show! Congrats to Your blooms Donna!

• rene09
    10 years ago

Pretty bloomers!!

• Fred Biasella
    10 years ago

Hi Donna,

What beautiful blooms!!!! They sure help to raise your spirits with color during this MISERABLE WINTER!!! The other day while I was shoveling the white cement, I could swear I heard the birds fly over head saying "I'm done with this $#@&". LOL

Warm Regards,
    Fred

• mariehass
    10 years ago

Really nice, Donna!!!

What beautiful blooms!

Marie

• jessiann63
    10 years ago

Beautiful Donna I like the EBAY#1 that's really pretty, and so is party animal. My Elvas is just peaking out with a scape. It didn't flower for me last year.

• hippiezep
    10 years ago

A very nice collection of blooms

• brigarif Khan
    10 years ago

They are all fantastic.

• lenanen
    10 years ago

Way to go Donna! Gorgeous sight!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your kind comments, they are appreciated!
    Here are a few more to add that are blooming now:

The original Nymph, possibly my favorite of all the Nymphs..

{{gwi:385122}}

Naranja..

{{gwi:385123}}

A second bulb of Elvas..

{{gwi:385125}}

Red Pearl..

{{gwi:385127}}

and one of my seedlings, Fairy Tale x Lemon Star # 3..

{{gwi:385128}}

Donna

• brigarif Khan
    10 years ago

What a pleasure!
    Thank you
    Arif

• salpal
    10 years ago

Oh Donna, those are so lovely! I think ebay #1 is very cool, especially if fragrant. Very, very nice. Thanks!

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

Fairy Tale x Lemon Star # 3.. very beautiful and interesting seedling. Donna Bravo!

• HU-17497
    10 years ago

My goofy daffodils decided to start blooming

Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a few more blooms to add. A few years ago a Narcissus Bulb Fly attacked my Flamenco Queen but it produced 3 offsets in it's place and one is blooming now. So sometimes there is life after a NBF attack!

{{gwi:385129}}

{{gwi:385130}}

and my Maguire's Envy..

{{gwi:385131}}

a third or forth scape (2 bulbs) of Naranja again..

{{gwi:385132}}

and another scape in my pot of Fairy Tales..

{{gwi:385133}}

• HU-17497
    10 years ago

Cherry crush

• mariava7
    10 years ago

All very pretty!!!

• fishing_dentist
    10 years ago

Great Show

Original Author
    10 years ago

Cherry Crush aka Opal Star is very beautiful, mine hasn't bloomed yet this year, something to look forward to.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Do we know for sure that H. Cherry Crush is the same as H. Opal Star?? Those 2 and H. Half and Half all bloomed at the same time at my house last year. I posted a photos of the 3 side-by-side. Mine were distinctly different. Coloration of tepals was most different as I recall.
    Hmm..
    K

Edited to add link that compares these hybrids.
    Looking now...bloom shape, size, color, and markings were different. Could be sibs. They were probably substituted for one another thinking no one would notice!
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: Comparison of H. Opal Star and H. Cherry Crush

This post was edited by kaboehm on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 8:39

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Based on information that I will share here, I can provide an answer to this question. Yes, we do know that 'Cherry Crush' is the same cultivar as 'Opal Star.'

In July of 2012, I contacted the owner of Easy to Grow Bulbs to inquire about this issue. The relevant portions of my message and his response are shown below.

My Question:

"I have a question for you. I purchased some of the Israel bred Amaryllis 'Opal Star.'
    I believe that it is the same hybrid as 'Cherry Crush,' but I'm not certain. Would you please let me know? The four different Saad-Assaf hybrids, which I have purchased from you during the 2010 and 2011 seasons, have been among my top favorites!"

His Response:

"you are correct, those are the same items. when they were introduced saad did not have a name for these so we gave them our own name and when he finally came around to naming them, we liked ours better.." :)

I hope this helps.

Best,

Blanca

Original Author
    10 years ago

And to further complicate matters when I bought my Opal Star from Easy to Grow Bulbs I believe it was the first year it was being sold, I bought it under the name of Seductress! In fact it is still being sold in the UK under that name! So I guess we have some leeway as to what we wish to call our own bulb but I label mine Opal Star.

But why oh why, since the bulb has been officially named Opal Star by Saad Assaf does ETGB continue selling it under the name of Cherry Crush for the past two years???!!!

;-)
    Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Seductress in UK currently

This post was edited by dondeldux on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 20:14

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Hi Donna,

I agree wholeheartedly! Things are confusing enough as is without multiple names.

Best,

Blanca

• HU-17497
    10 years ago

This reminds me of my dad, every once in awhile he would see a new Louis L'Amour book and buy it only to find out the publishers change the art on the cover and he already had that book.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a few more blooms to add to this thread.

White Christmas re-bloomed with only 2 flowers but they were lovely and I put Party Pooper on one and papilio on the other, we shall see..

{{gwi:385134}}

..and Julia (Australian) which blooms faithfully for me each year which has a seedpod x Rio Negro which seems to have taken...

{{gwi:385135}}

..and Exotic Star which also blooms faithfully each year..

{{gwi:385136}}

..and Valerie Maree (Australian) which last year gave me 3 scapes so I am surprised it found the energy this year to give me a few flowers even though they are smaller this year..

{{gwi:385138}}

..and the 3rd scape on my beloved Santos. I have a few seedpods that seem to have taken on the other 2 scapes..

{{gwi:385140}}

..and the ever beautiful Charisma. I had two seedpods one x papilio and the other x Chico that took me all the way but were full of bad seeds, I was disappointed.

{{gwi:385142}}

And, lastly my beloved Tango which was supposed to be La Paz but I am thrilled with Tango! She is a pinky red and she is lovely. Two scapes, the first with 4 flowers, a real winner! Last year I got a lot of good seeds x papilio which I am growing on.

{{gwi:385144}}

thanks for looking..Donna

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

My Santos looks a little bit different from yours
    Maida

Original Author
    9 years ago

Maida,

Well, when yours opens a bit more I think they'll basically look the same. Yours may possibly have more saturated color with less white, but I think the differences if any maybe be due to the fact that yours are growing outside. Now, is yours a new bulb or have to had this bulb for decades? If you've had this bulb for years maybe the newer ones like mine were the result of tissue culture and that might account for minor differences in appearance. (just a thought..)

Donna

Also, the angle at which you've taken your pictures is different; your picture was taken look down on the flowers mine were taken basically at eye level looking directly into the face of the flowers. (just another thought..)

This post was edited by dondeldux on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 19:41

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner