Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limona Putting Out Scapes.....BUT.......

Posted by aveo5 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 12 at 17:54

Hi.
Well my pot crammed full of 'Limona' bulbs, is putting out a scape from each of its 5 bulbs,exactly 1 year to the day it bloomed last year:), i keep track,I just saw the scapes peaking out today, BUT this is very odd and I wanted to find out if it happens to others, or is this something that THIS variety does, or what?

Each bulb has/had like 2-3 nice green leaves on them,but they are now dropping off, turning yellow and dropping off. So I will just have the scapes. kind of a cool look I bet! I know it had leaves on it last year...but is this 'normal' for this variety to do 'bald' when it blooms, or do amaryllis just do this sometimes when certain ones bloom? Or is it just a fluke? I just kind of wanted to know. I have a pot full of bald bulbs now with the tips of scapes peaking out of each bulb, I will have to divide then after they bloom ,the pot is crammed tight,it will burst if the bulbs get a CM. bigger.

Also, now that the scapes are just showing, can I move them into a shadier spot, my front northern facing porch,so I can enjoy them, when the scapes get tall and bloom. At the moment the pot is under a gardenia bush it gets a lot of sun nearly all day till 3pm or so. and on the ground.
Can I move it to the porch,which is all shade, or will I mess up the scapes? Thanks for input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Limona Putting Out Scapes.....BUT.......

This is the time of year that all of my indoor bulbs have their old leaves turn yellow and I pull them off. Scapes are starting to peek out and new leaves are forming. That's just the normal thing for my indoor bulbs in Feb-March.

o
RE: Limona Putting Out Scapes.....BUT.......

Well I guess my post is boring...thanks for your reply. Guess my bulbs will be beautiful in the end, and I will move them to the porch once they are fully grown.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here