Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Fingers crossed

Looks like Showmaster x Papilio has taken. Scape is good and sturdy. Wouldn't that be an interesting cross? I have several other xPap that are currently looking good, but we know that's no guarantee!!!
K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 21:14

Comments (26)

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

Does this mean that Papilio as a father tends to be an iffy thing?

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any cross is iffy, but it looks like the pod is well on its way. There are no guarantees as pods can make it nearly to the end and then fail. Nothing much you can do about it.
    K

• haweha
    11 years ago

Sorry Kristi, but you know, deeply-inside, that you are indulging in wishdreams. This seed pod will abort. My cruelty is deliberate: The spectacle IF the seed pod evolved further, would be all-the-greater xD

TET x DIP is an "iffy" thing, whatever "iffy" accurately means, which I must look up in my dictionary now.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dear Hans-Werner,

I never give up on my dreams. Sometimes they are all I have.
    Thumbs pressed!!
    K

Original Author
    11 years ago

Let me help you with the definition Hans-Werner, but you know what iffy is...it means it would take a miracle!! :-)

if÷fy
    /ÃÂifé"/
    Adjective
    Full of uncertainty; doubtful: "the prospect seems iffy".

I like the Merriam-Webster Dictionary definition better; it states that iffy means that something is of unknown or uncertain characteristics.

When you think about many of the blooms, we don't really know what went into them! Hans-Werner has one if the best understandings of Hippeastrum breeding, but I'm willing to fail 99 times in order to get 1 spectacular success!!

Well, the way I see it, every bloom is a cross of something, so as long as I continue to cross, someday I might just hit something that's a match with Pap! I have H. Papilio blooms coming soon too, so need to make the best choices. An off list email would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
    K Böhm

This post was edited by kaboehm on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 20:33

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Well, my papilio x Chico is cracking..the other one is papilio xTango/Ruby Star..

Original Author
    11 years ago

Those Pap x cybisters make more sense!
    K

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Pap x cybister... two of my favorite things! Can't go wrong there! -Tina

• haxuan
    11 years ago

Donna...congrats on the seed pods!

The blooms should look stunning :)

Xuan

Original Author
    11 years ago

My Lima x Papilio and Emerald x Papilio crosses have "taken" and the pods are ginormous for cybister pods. So...those should be "fun"!
    K

PS: hehehe I didn't think it was a "real" word!
    gi÷nor÷mous
    adjective \jë-ÃÂnoÃÂr-mÃÂs\
    Definition of GINORMOUS
    : extremely large : humongous

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dear Hans-Werner,

So...how do you explain PapDonau? Is Donau also a diploid?... I understand from reading a Landspro thread that some think large Tets won't cross with H. Papilio, but small Tets will?

I have a large Papilio bud (2 blooms or?) on a nice sturdy scape and want to make a "sensical" cross with the best chance of producing seed.

Kristi

11 years ago

Well, I know you're not asking me, but Chico, Tango and Exotic Star will all work....I suppose Giraffe would work but haven't done that myself...

I know you want to take extra special care to put pollen on papilio that is compatible as you only get the two chances and papilio makes the nicest large seedpods chock full of large seeds.

I wait to see what Hans-Werner suggests also!...Donna

Original Author
    11 years ago

I have Emerald, Lima, and Evergreen pollen. I am looking for uncommon crosses. Always a risk-taker...at least with hybridization. There will always be other Pap blooms...I have 17 bulbs of it now...I think!
    K

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Kristi,

IâÂÂm sitting in a hotel room in southern California, so this will be brief. I do not want to speak for Hans-Werner, but I will try to respond to your question while you await his direct response.

You asked: âÂÂSo...how do you explain PapDonau? Is Donau also a diploid?...âÂÂ

Hans-WernerâÂÂs H. papilio x Donau cross fortuitously yielded some viable seeds. However, there is a clear distinction between his cross and yours. I believe that Hans-WernerâÂÂs cross was a diploid x tetraploid cross; instead of a tetraploid x diploid cross like your attempt with Showmaster x H. papilio.

Sorry to say that I think your pod already appears to be failing as it appears to lack the glossy sheen of a thriving pod.

Sleepy nowâ¦. Zzzzzzzzz!

-Blanca

P.S. Are you spelling your last name with an umlaut now???

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dear Blanca,
    Just as you have Americanized your name, my family name was also changed. It was originally Böhm and as Hans-Werner is German, I feel comfortable using it in correspondence with him.
    Sleep well,
    K

11 years ago

I just thought I'd add my seedpods using papilio as the pollinator to the mix.

The large one is Exotica x pap and the other is x Dancing Queen..

{{gwi:385193}}

Pink Diamond x papilio and smaller ones are x Lima and x Chico (one hidden in the back) all looking viable for now..

{{gwi:385194}}

and two seedpods of Sweet Lilian by papilio..Finally!! I had 11 flowers that I tried (several papilio) on 3 scapes and on the very last scape these two have gone much further than any of the others..perhaps the bulb has some roots now and maybe that makes the difference?
    {{gwi:385195}}

Anyway, I am hopeful for all of these and I would never stop trying. I also have two small green pods of Maguire's Surprise x papilio, who knows, I may get one or more of these to produce viable seeds.

So Kristi, keep trying.. if you do it enough times you will succeed!! After all, I got seeds of papilio x sweet nymph (a few) and Benfica x papilio last year and they're growing on as seedlings!!

Donna

Original Author
    11 years ago

Can't wait to see yours bloom!
    K

11 years ago

I just thought I'd add this picture of Surprise x papilio, one was bigger than I thought!

{{gwi:385196}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

If "shine" is an indicator...took this in morning light as opposed to early evening. The fact that the pod is almost maroon may impact the appearance. If Donna is having such tremendous success, I'm not doomed yet!
    K

11 years ago

Oh, I wouldn't say success yet but I'm on my way....:-)

11 years ago

Oh well, why not, here are a few more,,

no.0016 x Chico, that I think is going to make it, going to be very cybistery, don't know why I did this actually...no. 0016 likes to set seeds, I got a few last year, I have 3 seedlings growing of Evergreen x no.0016.....

{{gwi:385197}}

and Exotica x Lady Jane seedling # 1 x Dancing Queen. I'm hoping these will yield some doubles since there are two doubles in the immediate background.

{{gwi:385198}}

and this one isn't going to make it due to a shriveling stem. It's a selfed self of Tosca which I won't loose any sleep over.

{{gwi:385199}}

• haweha
    11 years ago

If you pollinate H.papilio from regular (TETraploid) Hippeastrums,then you will receive seeds in Abundance, more than 100 per seed pod is possible, for example from "Orange Sovereign" and "Appleblossom" respectively. However, I found, none of the seeds was viable. Pollination from "Donau" and from a seedling of ("Minerva" x "Picotee" = "MinPic") - both produce actually rather small florets! - resulted in a lot of chaff and TWO (from "Donau") and THREE viable seeds (from "MinPic") only. I had to inspect the fresh seeds from the freshly opened seed pods, before they could even dry up, in order to RETRIEVE the respective viable seeds (with a regularly-shaped embryo "bump" in them, at best comparable to a peeled SUNFLOWER SEED). "PapDon2" and "PapMinPic" are possibly the most precious Hippeastrums I ever created. One more "PapMinPic" sibling is yet to produce their maiden bloom, while the 3rd sibling decided to grow slowlier and slowlier during the the last years, and is about to get lost w/in the daughter bulbs of the strongest sibling.

This post was edited by haweha on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 18:50

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait. I will truthfully report what happens.
    Kristi

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Hi Kristi,

I didnâÂÂt Americanize my name. My American father named me after his French mother who was born and raised in the South. I actually Latinized my nickname for three reasons:

⢠Most folks in the USA cannot pronounce my first name correctly
    ⢠To honor my motherâÂÂs Spanish ancestry
    ⢠My first language was Spanish

As I was already given six names at birth, it was fortunate that my father didnâÂÂt include another name reflecting his fatherâÂÂs Scottish heritage; neither did my mother include a name honoring her motherâÂÂs Dutch ancestry.

I asked about the novel spelling of your name because I was surprised when you told me that you pronounce your German last name âÂÂBoehm,â which contains a diphthong, as in the American word âÂÂname.â I only studied German for two years, but I thought that if Boehm were said in German using the spelling Böhm; the pronunciation would be different? I love languages and words in general, so I was curious.

-Blanca

Original Author
    11 years ago

Blanca,

I am sorry. Hope you are Ok.

K

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Kristi,

No worries. I had a big cortisone shot so that I could visit my mother.

-B

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions