Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pining for late season bulbs?

Posted by e36yellowm3 7 Raleigh, NC (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 11, 10 at 19:14

Hi - just in case you feel that you neeeed more bulbs and are worried that the late season ones are too big a risk, I thought I'd let you know about the beautiful bulbs I just got. I ordered 3 Sweet Lillians and 3 Mistys from American Meadows the other day - I just had to do it! I had given the Sweet Lillians I got in the Yahoo co-op away as a gift, and the Mistys I got turned out to be Susans, so I was really feeling bummed... especially after seeing everyone's beautiful pictures.

I decided to give the ones from American Meadows a try and I'm glad I did. The order arrived really quickly via FedEx, it was incredibly well packed, and the bulbs look gorgeous. And the best part: it's the cheapest price I paid for bulbs all season. I'm looking forward to getting these beauties in pots!

Just though I'd let you all know in case you're itching for more blooms.

Alana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pining for late season bulbs?

That's wonderful!

o

Googled Sweet Lillian because I couldn't recall seeing one. Very beautiful! Hope they all do well for you. I have a Misty that's dormant and can't wait for her to wake up.
Jennifer

o

I almost took the plunge, Sweet Lilian is on my list, and my Misty also turned out to be Susan, but I have to save some room for a possible Mcguires order!! Am greatly looking forward to that!!! Am starting to bring up bulbs that have been waiting out the winter in a paper bag in the furnace room and there are more than I remember....about 15 more(!!).....and they all are huge and look good,.... is there no end to this?

Donna

o

I got some bulbs for my birthday from a couple of Ebayers. I knew it was risky, but I'm a first year, and the price was good. All $9 or less.

Bulbs from one of the two sellers were firm, good sized, had fleshy roots, and are potted up and already putting out scape tips. I'll be thrilled if they are what the label says! I picked up Royal Velvet (my first red), Double Record, and Bogata.

My one concern is that Bogata is labeled Bogata / Floris Hekker ????

The bulbs from the other seller are more problematic. All the roots were dead, the necks on two were very soft and I ended up cutting them open and removing a layer of rot.

I broke down and bought some rooting gel and have painted the basal plates of these in the infirmary. I'm planning to pot them up today. They've been sitting out while I make sure they are dry, and no more rot.

So fingers crossed for Charisma and Dancing Queen.

o

Donna, no, sorry, there's no end to it - lol! (btw, the bulb you sent me has the nose of a scape coming up.)

Genez, hope those problem bulbs work out for you. Let us know what you think of that rooting gel. I've seen it advertised but haven't purchased any.

Alana

o

Alana, Which one is peeking through, they should both bloom for you, my Ebay bulb has 2 buds poking through but doesn't seem to want to go any further. I'm in contact with someone else who bought this same bulb on Ebay and her's has bloomed and she says it's beautiful. I'm hoping she will send me some pictures! The noid should bloom for you, I think I'll ask the forum for a possible ID for that one. There are 2 buds on 1 FireCracker(!) and a bud poking up on Red Charm, looking good!! Thanks!

Genez, I'm guessing the first 3 bulbs you bought on Ebay were from G in Fla. I bought one from her it was mislabeled but she offered (without my asking), to send me another one and it came promptly and both (first one turned out Red Lion instead of Rainbow....which is growing nicely but hasn't bloomed yet) bulbs were very good quality, so if you have a mislabel, I'm sure she will stand by it! Good Luck with the others!!

Donna

o

Donna, it's the eBay bulb that's promising a scape. How exciting about yours getting ready to bloom, too. Shouldn't be long now.

Alana

o

I'm pining for spring!
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here