Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sun_worshiper

Not White Christmas, Can You ID Me?

sun_worshiper
12 years ago

I ordered 2 White Christmas bulbs from Easy To Grow Bulbs. They should look like this:

http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/p-1313-amaryllis-white-christmas-garden-bulbs.aspx

One did, and one didn't. Here's the mystery one:

{{gwi:385806}}

It is pretty, but not the same, it has a red border and a few red spots, the edges are not at all wavy, and the stamens are much whiter and longer.

For comparison, here's a pic of the one that looked the way I expected:

{{gwi:385807}}

Anyone know what the mystery one is?

Comments (11)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Picotee

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I too think that it is a Picotee..here is a link from Ebay and the flower looks just like yours..I guess I lucked out when I got my President Johnson..he was picture perfect..I have some selfed seedpods (they selfed themselves there were so many flowers all out at once and the pollen was flying every which way..)If they mature I'll be looking for homes for them..hopefully, they will take after their father...

{{gwi:385808}}

Here is a link that might be useful: picotee just like yours

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the id! Sounds like I lucked out. I sent a picture to easy to grow bulbs of the one that is not true to type, and they are going to send me a replacement. So I got an extra variety for free=) I had been considering ordering a picotee actually, so I'm quite pleased with this one. I wasn't sure it was a picotee because its edge is not solid. But it looks like that is possible.

Donna, your President Johnson is gorgeous! I would absolutely love some seed if your pods mature and you have too many. I actually bought these bulbs with the intention of trying to get them to set seeds. I'm in FL where these beauties can go into the landscape. My dream is to fill the beds (currently mostly empty) around my screened room with bulbs. It is a big space, so I will grow from seeds so it doesn't cost a fortune. In a few years I'm hoping for a lovely mass effect. My garden color theme is primarily orange and white with red accents. So white with red edging is perfect. I am just starting to raise my own seeds, so I don't have any to trade yet. But I have other assorted sub-tropical plants & seeds. Send me an email when your seeds mature and hopefully I'll have something you'd like to trade for.

12 years ago

If the seedpods mature, I won't be growing on any of the seeds..so I'll definitly let you know..

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds great Donna!

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got my replacement White Christmas bulb - yay! Looks like the first one, which I kept indoors in a pot and hand pollinated did not produce any seedpods. The picotee, which had significantly more pollen, does look like it might develop a seedpod.

I'm wondering, should I plant my replacement white christmas outdoors? Is there a better chance of getting a seedpod to set if the bulb is outside? Again, the purpose of these bulbs is to get seeds so I can grow seedlings for a large outdoor bed.

12 years ago

Angela, I sent you an email and it may have gotten lost since it didn't' go to my email as I requested. Check your spam and if it isn't there email me please, I have some seeds for you..

Donna

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got your email Donna & sent you back a reply via email. Let me know if you don't see my reply. I am very excited that your seeds matured!

Angela

12 years ago

Rememeber...seeds from a Self most likely won't look like the parent!! They will looks like the grandparents, great grandparents, etc. A few may look like the self parent, but you have to call them selfs, you shouldn't really lable them as the hybrid as they are not genetically the same.

Kristi

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Kristi. Getting something that is a bit of a surprise is part of the fun. Anyone know offhand what the lineage of picotee or white christmas is? Just curious what their parents & grandparents look like.

Angela

12 years ago

Lineage is typically a very closely guarded secret. Will be interesting to see what responses you get!
    K

Sponsored
More Discussions