Houzz Logo Print
lora_in

Pink Floyd X Emerald

lora_in
16 years ago

Here is the first of the 06 seedlings.

{{gwi:385914}}

{{gwi:385916}}

I have -never- had seedlings come into bloom in such a short time! These were sown April 15th of 06, only 22 months ago : )

They are dainty things, only 13 inches tall & the flowers are 5 inches from tip to tip.

There are 2 more bulbs with their noses out, I will update with more photos as their happy little buds open. Enjoy! Lora

Comments (20)

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Oh! Oh! Oh!!!!!!!!

Lora! You really got my attention on that one! It is a beauty, absolutely gorgeous. I adore the pink and the green star.

In fact, the whole bloom simply looks like a vibrant green eyed, pink star. Too bad that the name pink star is taken for this is surely one.

I can't wait to see the others!

• salpal
    16 years ago

Outstanding! They are wonderful! It's soo exciting to see what your seedling's blooms look like and this gives me great hopes for my "little ones". Good job!

• haweha
    16 years ago

Congratulations Lora! These flowers are absolutely wonderful, they remind me of starfishes - and they are directed straight horizontally, and 5 (or even 6?) flowers on the very first umbel that is promising!

• chazparas
    16 years ago

Lora,
    They are gorgeous!!! The patterning reminds me of snakeskin or the checkered fritallaria! Absolutely beautiful!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Wow! Simply spectacular, Lora! Congratulations! I'm sorry, I'm drooling again... do I see a few more scapes peeking out of that pot?!

Not only are they beautiful, but they bloomed within a shorter period of time than expected... twenty-two months... what an incentive for those of us just planting our first seedlings!

Thank you for sharing, Lora!

• mjgeby
    16 years ago

Those are beautiful flowers! I was always under the impression that it takes around 5 years for the seedlings to mature enough to flower....obviously that is not the case; how long would you say an "average" time is for a seedling to produce flowers?

Thanks

Mike

• lora_in
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good Morning,

Elizabeth,
    I couldn't be happier with these little guys,they went straight in the direction I was aiming,windowsill size and so far, easy growing.

Salpal,
    Thank you and good luck with your babies.Be aware though that 22 months is rather outside the norm. 2.5 to 3 years is more realistic so don't get dissapointed and possibly give up on a batch that is 'almost' ready.

Hans-Werner,

I am so glad to 'see' you again! Thank you for the inspiration to work with these little gems :)
    There are 5 buds on the first scape and a second several inches out of the neck. I was concerned that the second scape might abort but it seems to be growing well.
    I am totally amazed that a bulb not much bigger than a golf ball can put on such a show! Lora

• lora_in
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well,that's odd! I didn't see the posts from chazparas on down when I posted .

Chaz, thank you : ) Snakeskin is a good description, I like snakes :O

Jodik, yep a second scape from the bulb blooming and 2 more bulbs on their way : ) There might even be 2 more that are big enough to try.

Mike, it should take less than 5 years even if you are growing on a sunny windowsill. 3 years is realistic. I will try starting a thread this evening to cover seedling care. Lora

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Lora, the flowers look beautiful and delicate! =) Have you given your labor of love babies names yet?

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Such tiny bulbs!!!

Lora, you give me hope that a few of my diploid seedlings that are almost two years old will bloom this year.

One thing, for sure, the new leaves that are emerging this year are much larger than last years.

I won't hold my breath or be disappointed, but I would absolutely be thrilled if some of my special crosses would bloom this spring.

Please do keep sharing photos of your new creations!

Inspiration and encouragement... We all need some of that, now and then, don't we?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

AWESOME!

• jstropic (10a)
    16 years ago

Lora,

WOW! The colors!!! The bright green throat!! So vibrant! This flower definitely makes a statement! I agree you encourage the rest of us.

• lora_in
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Paxfleur, no names yet, they have me stumped ! I see fruit colors, strawberry & raspberry & honeydew but the shape is linear and decidedly unfruity. Do you have any suggestions?

Elizabeth, again thank you : ) I will keep my fingers crossed for your babies.

Thanks TommyR !

Mike, again,thank you. And if I have inspired anyone to dabble some pollen & plant a seed then it's a good thing. : ) Lora

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

I think I better go plant my repacement Pink Floyd bulb so I can try this....Your flowers are yummy looking...floral fruits indeed!

• jackie_o
    16 years ago

Lora that's a beauty for sure! I'm so excited to hear that you got blooms so quickly. Thanks for giving us all hope.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I stared at the image of your flowers for a while, Lora... and I'm stumped as to what I would name it if it were mine! I agree that the colors remind one of fruit, but the shape is decidedly starfishy!

Strawberry Starfish?
    Raspberry Lora?
    Berry Star?
    Or what about just H. Lora?

What ever you decide on for a name, you should be proud to have produced such beauty! It's just lovely!

• thys
    16 years ago

Absolute first choice, Lora. Congratulations.

I am eager for the blossoms of the other of your seedlings 'Pink Floyd' X 'Emerald', they all could/should have quite different flowers.

Sincerely
    ty

• brigarif Khan
    16 years ago

Lora,
    I cant find proper words to express my feelings. I can imagin the pleasure and the pride of this reward by ALLAH for your hard work.
    CONGRATULATIONS.
    ARIF

• lora_in
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lizalily,Pot that guy up and get to dabbling pollen : ) Keep'm hot, the hottest place you can find, I'll link the parentage below. I don't know if it's a primary hybrid or a named selection from the straight species but PF -hates- being bare & cold !
    This cross only gave 18 viable seeds with 10 bulbs surviving. Of those, 3 have scapes and another 2 just might be big enough to do something. The remaining 5 are much smaller.
    PF X Amputo only gave 1 viable seed & it is weak.
    PF x Appleblossom has 3 survivors, not strong but nickle sized bulbs & worth growing on.Those are from 06 also.
    PF X Jade Serpent, La Paz, & the fragrant white noid from Hadeco each produced hundreds of viable seeds each. : O
    Those are the 07 crop, can't wait to see if they go bonkers too.

Jackieo,thanks :)

Jodik, I'm still stumped too!The guys are no help with names,lol. All of the fruit combo names seem too long & I'm not inclined to name after myself. I did work up a list of place names for a line of reds I'm working on but Muscatatuck & Missisiniwa type names don't work either :O

Thys, Thank you : ) I think each of them will be quite a surprize.

Arif,Thank you. I will take what kudos I can from wherever they come.
    Lora

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Floyd ?

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

OK, I will get Pink FLoyd home under the lights today! FInally getting some energy back from overdoing recovery last week. Thanks for the information on him! That is very interesting and I really look forward to the blooms!