Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippeastrumadmirer

crossbreeding

hippeastrumadmirer
14 years ago

Hi, please wish me luck on crossbreeding hosta times amaryllis and tiger lily times amaryllis! I will make sure to take off the pollen anthers of the amaryllis to make sure no pollination has been done! I know chances are it won't work but it's worth a try! Thanks!

Comments (5)

• haweha
    14 years ago

There is no hope.

IF there WAS hope THEN in Nature all would go wrong.
    Think about it. Barriers through incompatibilities are there for a reason.
    There is no single case of successfully crossbredding
    a member of the Amaryllidacean family to a member of the Liliacean family.
    The most spectacular issue in approx. this regard was crossbreeding a Hippeastrum with Amaryllis belladonna. As far as I remember this required a embryo rescueing procedure even. But I could not retrieve any further report on this project; thus I assume that it went eventually wrong (no gemination of them seeds).

• rebecca47
    14 years ago

Why even waste your time and the plant's energy reserves. Hosta are more likely to cross with hemerocallis, after all they were at one time in the same genus! But I wouldn't hold my breath!

What you propose just can not be done, these plants are just not closely related enough to try. Most hippie species are from South America or Africa and most liliums are from Asia and a few scattered elsewhere. Bulb structure is totally different between hippies and "Tiger Lilies" (here I am making the assumption you are talking about Lilium tigrinum and NOT Hemerocallis fulva, aka:"Ditch Lily".

Try crosses Hans has suggested; you'll have a much better chance of success AND of creating something Mother Nature would be proud of.

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

A few other possible (though possibly unlikely) genera for crossing with Hippeastrum:
    Sprekelia, Lycoris, Rhodophiala, Habranthus, Nerine, Crinum, Cyrtanthus, Eucharis, Haemanthus, and Griffinia or Worsleya (if you can find those last two!).

Possible genera for hybridizing with Hosta:
    Camassia, Chlorophytum, Hesperocallis, Manfreda, and Polianthes.

Possible genera for hybridizing with Lilium:
    Fritillaria, Lloydia, Medeola, Nomocharis, and Notholirion.

Good luck with your hybridizing efforts!
    Kevin : )

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

Question - has anyone hybrid Crinum x hippeastrum?

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, no one in my question is not answered.
    The literature, too, I found nothing.
    Have to answer myself.
    I have bloomed in July Crinum and I pollinate it
    hippeastrum pollen.

A month later matured 2 large seeds that I sown. One seed rotted, and the second germinated. But still not turned green sprout. Complete breakdown of chlorophyll synthesis - I know from experience that these seedlings are dying. That's the information.
    {{gwi:385921}}

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions