Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willow1987

ID please

willow1987
13 years ago

I got this amaryllis from a local gardener. She said it was hardy so I assumed it was the St. Josephs Lily, but its mostly white and had some red on it. I looked online and it looks similar to Clown amaryllis but I dont know for sure. I live in zone 8a and supposedly its hardy to my zone. I was wondering if anyone could give me the correct ID thanks

Comments (13)

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

Well I can tell you it's not a johnsonii or st josephs lily as that is my favorite. I won't venture a guess I'll leave that to better people than I. However most amaryllis should be hardy in the ground in your zone since I grow a ton in the ground no problem and I'm in the same. Mine are all sprouting as we speak.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

It looks like H. vittatum or a hybrid of.. H. vittatum hybrids are some of the more hardy plants, I'd say you'd be safe!

Josh

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both for the information. So would I need to still mulch them? And when I plant them outside how deep do I need to plant them?

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

I just plant mine up to the neck and I would recommend mulching. I didn't mulch mine this year though and they did just fine though. Better safe than sorry.

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok thanks again Radar. These are the only hardy ones I have so I dont want to lose them lol

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Willow, A site we often refer to is listed below. It has an extensive gallery of photos...check out Clown to see if you think it matches...other red/white are Amorice, Ambiance and others. Since you have the flowers and can really examine them...try your hand at a little detective work.
    Kristi

Here is a link that might be useful: Emaryllis.com

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much Kristi, I'm going to look through and see which one it is.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Willow, your bulb isn't any of those hybrids. It is either H. vittatum or a heirloom cross of H. vittatum.

I would mulch just to be on the safe side and plant in a protected spot.

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok Thanks Josh, I wonder if it has a common name? I'm going to plant them on the south side of my house, though it does get really hot in that area during summer. Is it alright if the neck of the bulb is covered by mulch too? Thanks again

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Willow,

Many of the heirloom varieties don't have common names, they were just hybridized by hobbyists and passed along through the neighborhood or the family. There is no way to tell exactly without DNA analysis but your plant is very close to H. vittatum.

If your area freezes I would plant the bulb under the ground completely and mulch well in the fall!

Josh

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Josh so much for the info. This is actually the first time I have had an amaryllis flower for me. It freezes quite a bit here, though some years the winters will be mild. I cant wait to plant it outdoors. Thanks again Josh

Cameron

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Cameron,

I sent you an e-mail to your live account you have listed :)

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Josh, sorry I didnt get back to you soon. My live account put your email is my spam folder. I dont know why it does that. But I responded back to you =)