Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Ebay # 1 from North Carolina

This is my Ebay # 1 and this is the third blooming from these bulbs. I have 4 fairly large bulbs and a few smaller ones left. So for those of you that I have given a bulb to just wait until it gets larger I think you will enjoy it. The flowers themselves range from 4 & 1/2 to just under 5 inches, they aren't a miniature, but they aren't large either.These aren't shy flowers, the colors are extremely bright and they show up from way across the room.

These bulbs are very fragrant. Probably the most fragrant bulbs I have. You have to wait until they have been out for a few days before you can appreciate how fragrant they are.

{{gwi:385987}}

please excuse the mess, I have two flowers tied up to my kitchen cabinet hinges

{{gwi:385989}}

{{gwi:385991}}

and Lavender Blue and Dancing Queen
{{gwi:385993}}

Thanks for looking..Donna

Comments (21)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Wonder how Lavender Blue got its name. Does it have any lavender or blue-ish hue?
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I would say it's a lavender pink..maybe they had a dog names Blue, they were great for naming their flowers after people and places...it's very pretty in person anyway, it had more veining last time though.

• haweha
    11 years ago

Although I do not like Doubles - "Dancing Queen" is impressive!
    You are fortunate, that you collected the Heirloom Hybrid from Ebay. Behold, Brethren and Sistren, those nice white Midribs!
    My feeling about "perfection" in Hippeastrums might surprise you - some Heirlooms are positioned VERY HIGHLY on my scale-of appreciation. Look at this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hippeastrum FP1 in Australia!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hans-Werner,

The flower on your link is lovely. The color is more to the raspberry red where mine is more to the orangey red. I would be happy to find one of those on our Ebay!!

Here is a picture I happened upon on the Internet shortly after I purchased Ebay # 1 NC..very similar don't you think?..Donna

11 years ago

Similar, but different. Your Ebay #1 (to me) appears to be a much brighter red. The veining is more complete and goes to the edge on your found photo and that bloom has about equal parts red and white. They must be cousins.
    K

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Love the ebay #1 - just gorgeous Donna, thanks for sharing the pics! Does it set seed? If so, I'd be interested in a few seeds. How does the foliage size compare? Is it on the smaller side too?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Angela,

Yes they sets seeds, and I have selfed two and I will self a few more. I'm going to have 18 flowers in total! I'll be glad to send you some seeds but remember they may not be true as this is just a hybrid. Check the seeds I sent you last year and see if I sent you Ebay # 1 x Ebay # 2 because I know I had those seeds to give away but the timing might not have been right for you. I planted a few of them and they are growing but I know I gave most away.
    I just went to check the leaves and there aren't any yet but I took pictures of them in a barrel last summer. The tallest scape is 14" with the rest a few inches shorter. But, these are growing in pots and I would imaging they would be more vigirous growing in the ground.

I just added the picture of the barrel and 4 of these bulbs were Ebay # 1 (large) with about 4 or 5 smaller bulbs. There were several other varieties thrown in too. I can't tell which is which but from the looks of the leaves I would say they are pretty sizable...Donna

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Thanks Donna. The foliage looks medium sized to me. Not small, but not as big as some of my outside plants. But I can see that planted in ground it might be in the big foliage category. I went back and checked, and the eBay # 2 seeds I have were selfed.

18 flowers is awesome! I'd love to give some of the selfed #1 seeds a try. I know they won't be exactly the same, but that's part of the fun. Some of the heirloom types seem freer blooming in ground, so I'm hoping their seedlings will be too. Send me an email when the seeds develop, hopefully I'll have something I can send you in return.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Will do! Half of the flowers haven't even opened yet! Most of the scapes are only putting out 3 flowers but I have one that is going to have four. I can't wait to see that one!..Donna

11 years ago

Just found this old photo...from a neighbor.
    K {{gwi:385995}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

Similar but no where near as curvaceous! It's got nice stripes though...yours appears to be a flatter faced flower too, most likely another cousin.

11 years ago

Didn't mean to imply twin-ness, only cousin-like!
    Just another southern garden variety.
    K

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

I am so sorry for bumping up an old thread, but Donna, I was wondering - What did Ebay #2 look like? From you, I have "Ebay1 x Ebay 2", and "Ebay 2 x Tinkerbell".

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Dragonstone,

Here are a couple of pictures of EBay # 2. It is a smaller flower with 4 or more flowers per scape and it is quite fragrant. Both EBay numbers 1 and 2 are fragrant.

I too have a couple of those that I kept and few # 2 x Tinkerbell...

Here are a few pictures of # 1 and I think the strong color of # 1 will win out but at the very least they should be fragrant. I think the pairing # 2 with my Tinkerbell might yield some interesting smaller flowers...

{{gwi:385998}}

{{gwi:385999}}

{{gwi:386001}}

{{gwi:386003}}

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

Oo, Thank you!

The seeds you sent (now bulbs!) are still going, despite the major caterpillar invasion that went on these past few weeks. I'm expecting this cold front to slow them down, or stop them.

Some of the bulbs are still focusing on themselves and some already sent out daughter bulbs. A handful up and disappeared on me for some unknown reason. Out of everything you sent me, Charisma is really, really vigorous. I am betting money that the very first bloom to surface is going to be from Charisma.

I'm going to try to keep them 'evergreen' by moving them into the greenhouse and try to keep their leaves through the winter like I did last year when they were still small seedlings. I just want a bloom to come as soon as possible!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Joe,

I hope you had a few of the Mocca crosses that survived for you; mine are very vigorous. I think you are on the right track trying to keep them evergreen, that's what I do especially for the seedlings. And yes, unfortunately the Charisma seeds were just selfed if I remember correctly so they won't be much different from the original.

When I plant my larger seedlings out In the ground some of them do just disappear!

I think I remember you had some aulicum from Jim too; hope they are doing as well as mine!

Donna

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

This is what they looked like yesterday morning:

{{gwi:386005}}

I sprayed them with some Thiomyl yesterday morning because rust seems to be running rampant and I'm trying to keep it from coming here.

All the varieties you sent me are still around. I'm thankful I haven't completely lost any so far; Fairytale selfed, Ebay2 x Tinkerbell, Ebay2 selfed, Mocca selfed, Ebay1 x Ebay2, Piquant x Mocca, Exotica x Mocca, and Charisma.

Yep, I still have Jim's Aulicum. They're in the red flowerbox on the step there. Six of them established themselves and they're sort of staying dainty at the moment. ;)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow I'm impressed!! Can't wait to see the flowers!! Yours appear to be farther along than mine of the same varietey but my aulicum from Jim "might" be bigger!
    ;-)

Donna

• ben773
    9 years ago

Hi Donna:
    I was wondering if you would sell me one of your ebay#1 fragrant bulb. I would love to have a strongly scented hippe.
    Thanks.
    Ben.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Ben,

I just took an inventory of my EBay # 1 pots and it appears that I have several good sized offsets growing so I would be happy to send you one of the offsets a bit later in the year. I have already given away about 6+ of the smaller detached bulbs and one of my large bulbs was attacked by the Narcissus Bulb Fly last season but the bulb is still firm and I think I caught it before it could do too much damage.

Send me a personal email through the forum in a few months to remind me and make sure that I can answer you. Many times people will email me with a question and for some reason when going through the forum some emails won't allow a reply. I always answer people when I can.

Donna

• ben773
    9 years ago

Hi Donna:
    Thanks for being so generous. I'll e-mail you later.
    Ben

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz