Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Is this San Remo??

Hi, Just a quick question: Does anybody recognize this as San Remo? And if not any thoughts on what it might be? It was marked as such, but I did a search and the pictures I came upon were different.. or so I thought..more speckled dots on the white. My flower has quite a bit of pink pigment and is more of a solid pink.. and the flower is quite fragrant!

I like it whatever it is and the green eye and the fragrance are a bonus..it's a new bulb without roots so I expect it could be much prettier next time.

Thanks,

{{gwi:386023}}

{{gwi:386025}}

Donna

Comments (15)

• johnsonm08
    12 years ago

Hi Donna,
    Mine is just popping open and looks like this too...
    I was going to ask in the next couple of days. I will get a pic up tomorrow when its more open.
    Mike

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike, I'm not sure that it is San Remo.. seems to be way too much color compared to other pictures I've seen..type it in the search box up top and see what comes up...

• blancawing
    12 years ago

Hello Sweet Donna,

Sorry to say that your bulb is definitely not 'San Remo.'

I wish that I could wave a migic wand and do away with GW's terms of service so that I could post photos again.

Cyber hugs, Blanca

Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I fear that I do not have San Remo..what does anyone think about the possibility of Summertime? I have done a google search for Summertime and it appears to be similar, but could find none that had those two slight red marks in the throat..not to mention the fragrance which wasn't mentioned because actually, I found very little information about Summertime. Later today, I will go the the Chinese Website and a few others in search of a Summertime photo that might look like mine. I am pleased with it and I must admit that I tweaked the petals to lay down flatter as they were "cupped" a bit like the notorious 'Susan' which after her initial blooming does put out a nice pink bloom...
    Thanks, and keep thinking..I should think the fragrance would be a dead give-away..and the throat is a deep "Granny Smith Apple" green..

Donna

• blancawing
    12 years ago

Hello again,

Donna, I think that you are absolutely correct. I had forgotten that Paul from RC sent me a 'Summertime' bulb last year. Although, I didn't have the opportunity to capture its image, it did look just like your photos (including the red markings in the throat). I think that Kristi has 'Summertime' too. I'll bet that she has an excellent photo for ID purposes.

-B

Original Author
    12 years ago

OK. Thanks again..Mike, when yours blooms lets see if it has those red dots..we may have an ID, unless you lucked out and got the real 'San Remo'!!

• dragonstone
    12 years ago

Could it be Apple Blossom? Some of the images that show up in Google search seems to match yours, especially with the nifty red markings there. It's a beautiful flower.

Original Author
    12 years ago

No, I'm quite sure it's not Apple Blossom..Here's is mine not nearly enough white and the throat in Apple Blossom has much more defined red spotting..but, who knows..stranger things have happened, and it is fragrant..but I don't think so... other's thoughts?

{{gwi:386027}}

Oh, and the mystery flower is 5" across, Apple Blossom is at least 7 to 8 inches across...

Donna

• johnsonm08
    12 years ago

It does have the red dots, and seems to be fragrant. It's also about 5" flower on a short scape. Here's a pic , but its not fully open yet.
    Mike
    {{gwi:386029}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

That's it! The same as mine..short scape on mine too.. 7" ... OK, now I'm going to do a little more searching..I'm wondering if it is the new "tissue cultured" look of San Remo tissue culturing can change things..just a thought...

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

'San Remo' has pink midribs while the flower above has white. There are many other factors too.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike, I'm pretty convinced that we both have 'Summertime' yours has even a more saturated color..very pretty. I have looked at every picture I can find of 'Summertime' and still can't find one that shows the 2 faint dots in the eye as in ours, but on White Flower Farm's website, they have several doctored up pictures and I noticed that the flowers are held up high..clumped together for a bouquet effect..and that's what mine are doing..and I'm sure yours are also..I would say that we can safely change the labels to Summertime....(it's certainly NOT San Remo)

Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Here'a my ST from RC in 2010/2011...
    {{gwi:378682}}
    Write that label!!
    :-)
    K

• johnsonm08
    12 years ago

Perfect!
    thanks
    Mike

Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry about the mix-up on the first photo..I inadvertently must have moved a picture around on Picasa and it takes it upon itself to change the picture on the posting(??)..I don't understand as once the picture has an URL, how can it change? Anyway, sorry..this isn't the first time this has happened to me..