Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariehass

Do short scapes mean anything?

mariehass
10 years ago

My Red Pearl has a nice second scape but about a 4" third scape. Is it stress?

The same with my Snow White. She is starting to bloom out at about a 4" scape. I do know that she was damaged a bit (I think frost nipped?) during shipping.

These bulbs are both new this year.

Is there something I should be doing?

Comments (7)

• mariehass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is Snow White.

Marie

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Marie,

Short scapes do happen to most of us sooner or later and most often it will be on new bulbs but not always. And yes, I would probably chalk it up to stress for one reason or another. I have had bulbs actually try to bloom with the bud only halfway out of the bulb! Other years everything would be fine with the same bulb.
    Your Red Pearl is rather unique with one short and one tall scape flowering and otherwise it looks fine. Your Snow White has some red markings on the edge of the scape which could be an indication that something might be amiss so just keep your eyes on it. From time to time a few of my scapes might have these red marks and the next year they are just fine. Then of course it could be bugs of some kind, not trying to scare you but just keep your eyes open.

Donna

• mariehass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Donna.

You are not scaring me. As far as having bugs. I read in some of the threads of using an insecticide/fungicide? Is this done on a routine basis, and is it something I should do to assure the health of my plants? For example, do you treat every 1, 2 or 3 months?

Also, is there a procedure that is best with new bulbs? Do you treat them with anything when you receive them? Do you isolate/quarantine for a period of time?

I ask this because I just ordered 5 more bulbs.....

Thanks for your input.

Marie

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Hi Marie,

Actually in a perfect world and if you've got the space to do so, quarantining new bulbs is the best way to go. That said, I don't have the room and so I don't usually quarantine. If I see something amiss though I immediately move the questionable bulb as far away from the others (difficult to do in my house) and if I detect bugs then I will put the bulb in our garage (when always above freezing) and then in spring when the bulbs can go outside I then decide what to do.

Usually bulbs that come from the big distributers have been treated with insecticides and given a period of dormancy before they arrive in our hands. If I buy a bulb from EBay (which I have done many times in the past) that has been dug from someone's yard then I do my best to keep those separated from my pack until I'm sure they are safe. I have had great luck so far with bulbs off EBay (from private yards.)

Keep us posted when your 5 new bulbs bloom for you!

Donna

• mariehass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Donna, thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. I am new to all of this, and other than growing bulbs, know nothing. I am impressed by your knowledge and appreciate your sharing.

I want to keep my flock healthy. I would be devastated if I had to start over because of my own carelessness.

I am seeing a few tiny gnats around the soil of the Red Pearl, which is on a table away from the rest of the crew. They seem to after moisture, as they do not frequent my dryer pots? Any clues?

Marie

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Marie, it sounds like you have fungus gnats, which are typically associated with soil that is too damp. Cut back on the water and, to discourage these pests, put a thin layer of sharp sand over the entire surface of the DRY soil.
    Kristi

• mariehass
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kristi for that info.

I will make sure i am not over-watering.

Sand? Hmmm. I'll add this after the soil dries out.

Marie

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!