Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackie_o_gw

My Alfresco from Edensblooms

jackie_o
12 years ago

It's just gorgeous. I'm still sad I couldn't get a Snow White, but this is really really pretty. It's been blooming for a while. Wish I'd taken the spent bloom off but it was dark this morning (had to use flash) and I didn't even notice it until I looked at these at work.

{{gwi:386141}}

{{gwi:386142}}

Comments (11)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

SMELL IT!!!!
    :-)

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Beautiful, AND abundant! Thanks for sharing it--it's easy to see why you're so happy with it. Happy gardening!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Jackie, Alfresco is one of my favorites and my 3 yr old bulb is just opening with two stalks for a re-bloom..can't see why they call it a miniature (or am I wrong)..mine has 6 1/2" flowers and I think they can get even larger! Your first picture is just beautiful..showing the crisp whiteness..and of course the aroma..Elvas should take some tips from Alfresco!

Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Nope...I bought it as a MINI too!! I love it and have made several crosses with it as pollen donor.
    K

• jackie_o
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree - if you hadn't told me it was a mini I'd have never thought that.
    Mine has zero fragrance though.

• haxuan
    12 years ago

My Alfresco, from Edensblooms, has opened too. But it isn't as large as Jackie's. However, it has a sweet scent.

Here're my plant (Sorry to hi-jack your thread, Jackie)

{{gwi:386143}}

{{gwi:386144}}

When fully open and under the ceiling light, it looks like this

{{gwi:386145}}

• jackie_o
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beautiful Xuan! Aren't you amazed at such a large flower from such a tiny bulb? I wish mine had a little scent.

Scent is such a mysterious thing. People fight about it on the rose forum all the time, but I think it's silly because they argue over something they can't possibly know the truth of unless they were actually standing next to the other person and smelling with them.

I can have the same rose in the same location in my garden that smells lighter or stronger to completely different at different times of the day or times of the season. It could be temperature, light, soil, fertilizer or even my own nose that changes.

• haxuan
    12 years ago

Jackie, I completely agree with you.

In my case, the scent could be from our hot climate, I guess... the way perfume smells stronger when it's hot :)

Xuan

• rene09
    12 years ago

Mine has scapes appearing!!! I agree they don't seem to be minatures, and the bulbs are small!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Somebody sure missed the boat on the size catagory of Alfresco, but we'll forgive them since it's such a beauty..and unlike some doubles, all four flowers open at once..just love it and love all your pictures!!

Note the 12" ruler..My flowers are between 6 1/2 and 7 inches..and it's got 3 babies growing..but, I've had my bulb for 3 years and it has never done as well as this year, infact the first year it bloomed on about a 6" stalk and last year no bloom at all..I think it's finally happy!!

{{gwi:386146}}

just have to add one more..

{{gwi:386147}}

• haxuan
    12 years ago

Donna: I've noticed that the petals on yours and Jackie's relfex while they don't, on mine! Can't know why :(

The blooms look so full on your plant.

Xuan

Sponsored
More Discussions