Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

My computer got hacked tonight

Dear Hippi pals,
I was making flight arrangements on line tonight and my computer got hacked. Don't open anything suspicious with a link from me... Sorry!!
K

Meanwhile here's one corner of the greenhouse!

Comments (13)

• haweha
    11 years ago

Hi Kristi! I had had the same problem and, btw JOSH (where is he) has / has had it, TOO.
    I would not go as far as to say, "my COMPUTER was hacked" but, that has been "hacked" is the address-listing in the e-mail account. I eradicated the problem, by erasing my address listing, but admittedly, this might not be an option for everybody.

At everybody: If you receive uncommon e-mail from your contact/friend, with suspicious links in them then do not open the link, instead notify your friend, so they know and can do something.

Oh, and "Purple Rain" looks terrific! I wonder how a "PapPur" might look xD

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm... Email me off list to discuss??!!

K

• fishing_dentist
    11 years ago

Kristi i whas such a idiot, to open the link! Thought it whas something about amaryllis!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry... Totally out of my control. Hope your computer is ok.
    K

• fishing_dentist
    11 years ago

Kristi what signs did You have, Your computer whas hacked??

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

It's creepy how a bot can figure out your password and log into your e-mail to send e-mails to everyone on your address list. Really, the only thing you can do is just change your password every now and then. There have been two times when Yahoo told me that someone logged in from an unknown device in Japan. Usually I get a couple of bounced e-mails because a couple of the e-mails in my address book are as old as 1997 (Geez, have I been online that long?) so that's a heads up that someone or something figured out my unusually long and complex password. I'm just thankful they don't change the password on me after they send their junk e-mails through my account.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I was online trying to make an airplane reservation to attend a family member's funeral when all of a sudden I got 74 messages in my inbox because of bounced emails.

My IT friends says that these hackers have random password generators and it's like holding a key in your hand. If you try enough locks, the key is bound to fit into one of them. It is freaky!

K

• mariava7
    11 years ago

I got one of that email from your account Kristi.
    And another one from Joshy.
    I didn't open them though as the message was only a link to somewhere.
    So not like you guys.

This post was edited by mariava7 on Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 0:40

Original Author
    11 years ago

Stinks.... But I guess hackers will always find a way... Sorry for any inconvenience!

Hippi hugs!
    K

• npublici
    11 years ago

Until a punitive fee is levied on the the entity benefiting from the links, per each click, nothing will change. It is very difficult to trace the crooks hacking accounts and placing links.

• mariava7
    11 years ago

No problem Kristi.
    I was likewise in the same stinking boat a year or two ago! LOL
    Beautiful weekend here in this side of Virginia as we got spared by Nemo.
    My thoughts to our Northeastern gardening friends...
    Be safe and keep warm!!!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Use cut and paste to access your email. (Type password into a text file. Save. Copy and paste password when accessing web-based email.) Thwarts key-loggers.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I did copy all of my email addresses into a Word file, now need to go through and sort them out...it was just so nice to type "Sam" and get the possible people.
    ARGH! THANKS....I think Hans-Werner has employed a similar practice.
    K

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert
More Discussions