Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

Here she is - the immigrant from Florida

haxuan
14 years ago

The seedling growing from seeds given me by Elizabeth (Ann) has finally opened up its first bloom this morning.

Here's a series of photos to record her arrival.

{{gwi:386199}}

{{gwi:386200}}

{{gwi:386201}}

{{gwi:386202}}

{{gwi:386203}}

{{gwi:386204}}

That's her. I'd appreciate if Ann, or any others, can help me with her name.

All along, it took her about 2.5 years to go from a seed to bloom. Not bad at all for someone who has travelled the great distance from Florida to California and then to Vietnam. She is truly a representative of global friendship!

Many thanks for your interest in the plant. And again, many thanks to Ann for this beauty. Her other companions, who have been planted in the ground, had showed up scapes too after I found out about this one on her. Unfortunately, all those scapes were devouted by snails!!! But I still have one in a pot and now I'm waiting eagerly for that one to show off as well.

After the Lunar New Year I will transplant all those in the ground into pots for easy protection.

Xuan

Comments (16)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    14 years ago

Xuan, Very Beautiful Flower!! Congratulations she sure looks like one of her parents would be Exotica...and look at all those babies, soon you will have a whole pot full!!

Donna

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Donna, for your kind comment.

I'll wait for Ann to see if she can remember the parentage.

Xuan

• clancy1985
    14 years ago

Hello Xuan. What a wonderful result you've got - I love the photo sequence from beautiful fat bud to such a lovely bloom. Congratulations!

• pumas
    14 years ago

Gitsy the Tiny Tigress is resting in the Sun and Flowers.She wants to wish her friend Biam something......Chuc Mung Nam Moi! Beautiful Blooms there,Xuan
    It looks similar to 'Exotica" Peace and may the Tiger bring you good Health and Happiness
    Mark
    {{gwi:386205}}

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Biam greets Grandpa Mark, wishing him Health, Wealth, and Happiness in the year of the Tiger, 2010. And love and kisses to playmate Gitsy. (Only wish Gitsy could be here!)

{{gwi:386206}}

Beautiful blooms you've got there, Mark. Are those your Exotica Peace?

Chuc Mung Nam Moi, Canh Dan (= the year of the Tiger)

Xuan

• elizabeth_jb
    14 years ago

Xuan,

Your bloom and pup are fantastic.

It's hard for me to tell which ones that I sent you. I do remember that I had so many that year, so I tried to send you some really nice crosses.

Don't flake out when you see the list... I did make a list, but there was no way for me to plant all of these, so I was thrilled to send some your way.

Here is the list (please don't freak out, this was my year to try them ALL).

Exotica X Dancing Queen
    Exotica X Ster Van Holland
    Exotica X ?
    Picotee X Pasadena
    Emerald X S&H Papilio (4 pods)
    Voodoo X Supreme Garden
    Santa Cruz X Amourette
    Cocktail X ?
    La Paz X Misty
    Lemon & Lime X Limona
    Santa Cruz X (Not)Royal Velvet
    San Remoes X Pink Impression
    San Remoes X Pink Impression
    Exotic Star X La Paz
    Supreme Garden X Ruby Meyer
    Misty X ?
    Ruby Meyer X ?
    Red Pearl X Black Pearl
    Exotic Star X La Paz
    Exotic Star X ?
    Royal Velvet X Santa Cruz
    Red Pearl X Dancing Queen
    Lemon & Lime X Santa Cruz
    Supreme Garden X ?
    Exotica X ?
    Limona X ?
    Voodoo X Voodoo
    Voodoo X Sumatra
    Voodoo X Gilmar
    Voodoo X Gilmar
    Santa Cruz X Amourette
    Black Pearl X Red Pearl
    Amourette X Santa Cruz
    Black Pearl X Red Pearl
    Voodoo X Sumatra
    Voodoo X ?
    Gran Cruz X Charisma
    Charisma X ?
    Voodoo X ?
    Supreme Garden X ?
    Voodoo X Sumatra
    Voodoo X Sumatra
    Voodoo X Sumatra
    Voodoo X Sumatra
    Limona X Santa Cruz
    Santa Cruz X ?
    Red Pearl X Lavender
    Pink X ?
    Red Pearl X ?
    Red & White X Lavender
    Charisma X Scarlet Baby
    Charisma X Lemon & Lime
    Black Pearl X Red Pearl
    Red Pearl X Lavender
    Charisma X Scarlet Baby
    Charisma X Lavender
    Charisma X Lavender
    Voodoo X Gilmar/SG
    Red Pearl X Charisma
    Scarlet Baby X ?
    Limona X Santa Cruz
    Red Pearl X Charisma
    Supreme Garden X ?
    Royal Velvet X Santa Cruz
    Lemon & Lime X Limona
    Charisma X ?
    Lemon & Lime X (Not) Royal Velvet
    Calgary X Black Pearl (Lora's)
    Gilmar X Surpreme Garden
    Minerva (selfed ?)
    Cran Cru X Charisma
    Exotic Star X Ruby Meyer
    Lemon & Lime X Charisma
    Exotica X Dancing Queen
    Exotica X Dancing Queen
    Exotica X Charisma
    Gilmar X Scarlet Baby (?)
    Happiness X ?
    Gilmar X Sumatra (two huge pods)
    Gilmar X Scarlet Baby (? small pod)
    Exotica X Dancing Queen

I might also add that I did not remove pollen from the flowers to prevent cross pollenation, so what I have listed are those that were purposefully pollinated by hand and not necessarily what succeeded.

BTW, I adore the eyelashes in the eye of your bloom! I can't wait to see more.

Ann

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The list is "scarry" to look at, however, it's very helpful. It does give me some pointers. I'll check out how the other parent looks in the pair of Exotica x....
    Thanks so much, Ann. I'll save the list for other seedlings that will come up with bloom.
    Meanwhile, I will also search high&low for the plastic envelops that the seeds were in that I have placed somewhere in my "storage". I hope I can find them since I'm sure I've put them away. That's what old-age can do to you... never remember where you put things :-(

Xuan

• elizabeth_jb
    14 years ago

Considering the number of Exotica X Dancing Queen, and that would be the sort of cross that I would select as special, this could be it. If that is the case, then cross it with another double and you might get just that...

Whatever, you have a very special bloom!

Ann

• npublici
    14 years ago

Xuan, I think your bloom is softly,delicately beautiful.
    Ann,the lady giving you the seeds, lives,and teaches high school algebra,in the Mobile Alabama area.Her math education far exceeds the level at which she teaches.You are fortunate to have recieved seeds,from crosses she made.
    Del,in Florida,400 miles from Mobile Alabama.

• primeribs
    14 years ago

Xuan, great job on the seedling! It is very nice!!

• elizabeth_jb
    14 years ago

Xuan,

I have trouble with snails as well. In the past, I have sprinkled the soil with used coffee grounds. It may be my imagination, but I suspect that the snails do not like it. They did leave my bulbs alone.

Grasshoppers are another story...

Your seedling is precious, and I am thrilled to see it bloom. Did I send those directly to you in California or did I send them along with others to Cindee,and she forwarded them to you? I simply don't remember.

Thank you! And thanks, Del for the nice comments. Yes, they are typically struggling Algebra students that I am trying to help get a high school degree. They keep me busy.

Ann

• e36yellowm3
    14 years ago

Ann, what a pretty bloom Xuan has received from your seeds! Is doubling recessive, so you need to cross for it twice to see it?
    Alana

• npublici
    14 years ago

Alana,in genetics,when we say that a plant has a recessive characteristic,we know that in seedlings of that plant,only twentyfive percent will exhibit the recessive genes. When both parents carry that recessive gene,that increases the likelyhood of the recessive gene being exhibited. It does not make it a certainty,by far. Not only do the statistics deny that one hundred percentage,but many other variables,such as chromosomal colinking can come into play,that is ,where one characteristic can prevent another characteristic from being displayed,or a thing such as a certain color, making it certain that the plant will have a particular scent.
    Furthermore,you might get the double you desired,but never again capture the desired color. Yes, doubling is recessive.
    Del

• e36yellowm3
    14 years ago

Thanks Del. Actually, if the gene is recessive, ~25% would carry the gene, but they would not exhibit the trait. In the case of doubles, it's hard to have both parents have the trait since most doubles don't have the right parts to set seed.

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Del, so actually Ann is a teacher from Alabama; somehow, I always thought she was from Florida! Thanks for correcting me.

Xuan

• npublici
    14 years ago

Unfortunately I left out some text in my haste. I'm busy.I probably should give up trying to keep up with garden web.
    "We know that in-F2-seedlings" is the correction.Some doubles often have functioning female flower parts,some not. In the case of rarity,I grow more of them and take measures I have mentioed here or on other forums to enhance the possibility of doubles producing the female parts.
    Del

Sponsored
More Discussions