Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsonm08

Guesses? Cant wait!

johnsonm08
12 years ago

This was another $5 clearance, It was supposed to be La Paz..... The red is sooo dark-- darker than my Black Pearl. I'm so impatient :(

Mike

{{gwi:386296}}

Comments (19)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Hi Mike,

My first guess would be possibly Benfica..last year I acquired one through a mislabel and the buds looked similarly like yours..
    with flash...

{{gwi:386297}}

without flash...

{{gwi:386298}}

became this..

{{gwi:386300}}

I got the ID of Benfica from this forum..now yours could be some other red such as Royal Velvet..mine(new bulb that hasn't bloomed before) isn't as far along as yours, but it does have that deep red feathering where the scape attaches to the bud like yours..

{{gwi:386302}}
    I'm just noticing that my Red Pearl doesn't have that red line..I don't know about Black Pearl, I don't have one of those..but, I think some people think that Red and Black Pearls are the same..
    Looking forward to your pictures..

Donna

I just happened to note after all this posting that the first picture of my Benfica bud doesn't have that red line!! Now, I'm leaning towards Royal Velvet!!

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Donna,
    It looks alot like the "without flash" pic. My Black Pearl doesn't have the line either. I just love the dark dark reds. --Black Pearl has a big seed pod with papilio pollen.....
    Mike

• hippifan
    12 years ago

If you want to have a look at other hybrids look at this link, a very good site!

Here is a link that might be useful: www.emaryllis.com hybrids

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is an update, I took this without the flash so it wasn't washed out. The red in the lower part is Pamela for comparison.
    Mike
    {{gwi:386305}}

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

very nice dark colour! Benfica or black pearl!

12 years ago

Well Mike, whatever you've got, I've got one too. I've searched through every picture on the web I can find of Red Pearl, Black Pearl, Benfica, and Royal Velvet and I can't find any pictures that show this definite red necklace around the neck of these bulbs..Nothing!!

Mine..no flash
    {{gwi:386307}}

mine.. with flash
    {{gwi:386309}}

Does anyone out there have a very dark red with a ring around the neck?
    I think Mike's is going to bloom first..and I'm sure we both want to know the correct name...any help will be appreciated...

Donna

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here she is today. Not quite all the way open. The petals are kind of wavy on the edges. This one is much darker than my Black Pearl. Its so hard to capture the true color, I tried some different lighting.
    Mike
    This pic is with a "daylight" LED spot.
    {{gwi:386311}}
    This pic is natural light.
    {{gwi:386312}}

• jackie_o
    12 years ago

Wow. Whatever you two have it's just gorgeous!

12 years ago

Wow! Can't wait to see if mine has the wavy edges...hmmm what could it be??

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here it is today, natural light and flash.
    Mike
    {{gwi:386313}}

12 years ago

Awesome color!!Mine is still thinking about it..with all that pollen spilling all over the place, you're going to have some selfed seedpods I'm sure...

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It wasn't exactly "selfed" there was a little bee helping me with the pics....
    {{gwi:386315}}
    {{gwi:386316}}

12 years ago

There you go.. a young horticulturist in the making!! He's adorable!

12 years ago

Well, Here is my version of whatever this ring necked red is and I'm not at all enamoured with mine. First, mine appears to be a miniature and the flower is only a little over 4" wide..it doesn't appear to be stunted, and the bulb is good sized..but, it does seem to look like Mike's flower.. I don't know how big yours was, but it appeared to be good sized. Anyway, here she is for what it's worth..If this is Red Velvet as the tag says, I'm not impressed. It is a bit darker than Red Pearl, probably the darkest I have, but I don't think it can hold a candle to Red Pearl and Benfica probably too. Here goes...

Just look at the size of this thing compared to the rest..

{{gwi:386317}}

outside with no flash..

{{gwi:386318}}

{{gwi:386320}}

{{gwi:386322}}

It's got a real short stigma and it's rolling around in it's own pollen..but I don't want any of the seeds...

If you have an ideas on mine vs Mikes.. I'd appreciate any comments..Thanks for looking,
    Donna

12 years ago

If you search long enough you never know what you'll stumble upon. This is from the Russian Hippeastrum Forum and you may have to deal with the translation button ( sometimes if works and sometimes not, also try right clicking and translate with bing) It appears that what I thought I had as Benfica isn't..if you'll look at the first listing Benfica is listed as having a necklace..and there is a picture showing a faint but recognizable "red necklace" so, I haven't looked over the rest of it, I'm thinking what Mike and I have is in fact Benfica!!! Go ahead and take a look I'd be very interested in opinions on these Oh so confusing and very similar Dark Reds!!

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: comparison of dark red from Russian hippie forum

• johnsonm08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was just looking around too, and look at the "nearly black" thread from Oct, do those have the red collar under the bud? My flowers are about 4.5 in, but the scape is taller than yours looks --maybe 15-18 in.
    Mike

• dragonstone
    12 years ago

Donna, I have to admit I'm a bit confused so I may be reading it wrong. Your sentence says that you thought it was Benfica but it wasn't but you still say it's Benfica? Did you mean another name but used Benfica twice? ;)

12 years ago

Hi Guys, what I meant when I used Benfica the first time was further up in the thread I posted pictures of my labeled Benfica for comparison to Mikes Noid and my labeled Red Velvet.. (which appear to be the same) so what I meant was that probably my labeled Benfica isn't a Benfica after all (??) So sorry to confuse you, but if you want to be confused even more..try this link once again from the great Russian website and peruse over the 3 pages of comparisons..the translation kept cutting out on me. There are several picture towards the end of the 3 pages with pictures that are an exact match to my picture of the scape with the purplish spathe (sp?) covering and the necklace..but for the life of me I still can't determine which they are indicating it should be..Maybe you guys with younger minds can ferret this out..Have a look...I have 3 different very dark reds and I would really like to feel that I have labeled them correctly..of course, that may not be possible...Thanks guys...
    Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: more comparisons...

12 years ago

...and.. when reading the first link (Russian website) I posted above.. under the category Benfica.. is a picture showing the red necklace so at that moment I probably erroneously assumed that my ring neck is Benfica and the first one isn't. So now I don't know. Whatever my ring necked one is is is NOT nearly as beautiful as my two other dark reds whatever they may be...
    I'll leave the rest of the sleuthing up to you guys..thanks again..I will appreciate anything further you can find...

Sponsored
District Floor Depot
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Quality Hardwood Flooring Retailer in the Greater DC Area