Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noni_morrison

Loving Santiago!

Noni Morrison
12 years ago

Its a new one for me...Slender little flowers of deep dark red with white stripes out from the heart. I would love to try crossing it with something but what would it cross with? Is it a cybister or something else? Any ideas from anyone on how to play with this? I have a couple of pink Maguire's blooming that might make intersting crosses. Next bloomers will be Exotica and Merry Christmas.

Comments (20)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

While some say 'Santiago' is a cybister I would encourage calling it a trumpet like 'Misty' or 'Amputo'.

Josh

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Noni, I have some seeds given to me last year of Santiago x Chico and they are growing.. albiet slowly..not vigorously like the papilio x Chico given to me by the same person...so.. a Cybister should work..I'd be careful putting any Maguires on something you love so much..(unless it's one of your older bulbs that you're sure is healthy..)you could do it the other way around though using Santiago's pollen on the Maguires.. I have a Santiago about to bloom too.. should be in about 3 weeks..please post pictures of yours when you get the chance we'd love to see it!!
    Do you have any Evergreen pollen, that should be interesting....

Donna

• lenanen
    12 years ago

Can't wait to see pictures of this beauty! Mine is on it's way... :D

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It might be interesting on "FLora Girl" then. Some flowers are so perfect I can't think of any new cross I want. And yes, I have taken pictures but it is so tedious to download them, go through photobucket and then post. Why can't I just click, "post to Gardenweb" from my mac! I will post to facebook...anyone want to befriend me and get them there?

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Fun! If you email me the pics, I'd be happy to post them here for you (grant_in_arizona@yahoo.com). We want to seeeee!

Donna, why do you say be careful about putting any Macguires pollen on anything you love? I'm not sure what you're implying and would love to know. :) Sorry if that's a very basic question for this forum...just curious. :)

In any case, I'd love to see this and am happy to post it if you'd like Lizalily. Or if you've already got a plan to post them, then I'm still excited to see.

Happy gardening!
    Grant

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Grant,

I'm not sure if Donna wants to say it but most of Maguire's bulbs are virused and transferring pollen from a virused plant to a non virused plant could transmit the virus.

12 years ago

Josh, Thanks for being the first to mention this..I was actually thinking of emailing off line to explain this situation but wanted to think about it some more.
    You just let me off the hook!
    It's not only Maguires bulbs, but many bulbs bought in the big box stores that are sick also..It's too early this year to tell if any of the new bulbs are contaminated..it usually takes the stressful heat of summer for the signs to manifest themselves.
    There are many previous threads on this forum on this topic so if you type Mosaic Virus in the search box, you will find plenty to read from the majority of us "old timers" I don't mean "old" literally...

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

Santiago starts to flower!

{{gwi:386437}}

lots of greets to You all

12 years ago

She's looking beautiful!! Thanks for showing us!!

• e36yellowm3
    12 years ago

Thanks for saying you didn't mean "old" literally, Donna! ;-)

Hope everything is blooming for you!

Alana

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

I got a Santiago as a mislable from a boxed kit several years ago. I loved it! Looking forward to more blooms this year.
    Kristi

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Though I am not an "old timer" on this forum I am old and don't take offense at being referred to as such. Old enough to be retired and I'm certainly past middle age and way past young but not yet really old or aged.

Will be waiting to see your blooms completely open, fishing- dentist. Nice anticipation.

Bobbie

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Aaah, thanks for the information about the pollen warning. Good to know! Of course, now I'll need to go google or search on the forum for how to tell if something is virused (I've seen mention of square patterns on leaves etc but will start snooping around, LOL), but clearly that's a different thread. Thanks for sharing!

Nice pic fishing-dentist, can't wait to see it open. Lookin' good!

Happy gardening all,
    Grant

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Dear Grant,

OMGosh yes...please go look. We don't need to get into another thread about virus here. They were some of the most agressive, volitale, accusatory threads and I'm thinking that some people left the list becuase of them.

Please do a search for "Australia" and you might find the thread...also "electron" as in electron microscopy.

Thanks,
    Kristi

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oooh, I have been remiss not to get my Santiago shots posted. I will try to do it tomorrow. I'm struggling with spinal arthritis and waiting for the results form my MRI and other scans. Meanwhile, spending a lot of time reclining, rather then sitting. Santiago continues to please, as old flowers dry up and more buds open! Also have my first Purple Rain, a Magnum, and Exotica (Old favorite!), Merry Christmas in bloom. Gotta get with the program, And I still have some of my latest requisitions to pot up...B and D lilies was selling off the rest of their Amaryllis stock for $5 each and a free one for every 3 you bought, last week! I found 3 different ones and did not even know what they would look like but found them on Eden's Bloom list when I googled. They were not that unusual once I saw what they were to be, But it will still be nice to have pots of blooming flowers for the late winter! I have my Royal Colors Sonatinis to pot up also.

Then Off to the Northwest Garden Show for my annual 3 day holiday with my buddy, where we can live, talk and focus on plants and gardens for 3 days with no one getting bored or thinking we are nuts!

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:386439}}. THe first two blooms are fading now but more buds opening so I get a nice long show. How beautiful these would be massed!

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

{{gwi:386440}}
    Sorry for beeing late! had no time for fotos. the last on this stalk, a bit asymmetric, 2 more stalks are growing in the next time.
    Best regards

12 years ago

Noni and Frank..thanks for the great photos..can't wait for mine to bloom..and Frank, the crispness of the white against the burgundy purple in your photo is to die for...all I can say to you both is WOW!!

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Thanks to both of you for posting your photos. This is another beautiful hippi.

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

I'll add my voice to the chorus: GREAT new pics, thanks so much for sharing them with everyone. These blooms really are gorgeous. Great growing, all! Happy gardening!

Sponsored
More Discussions