Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you think of this flower on e***

Posted by johnsonm08 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 22:06

Does this look like a clone of papilio anyone? I'm also curious about what you might think of the placement of the stigma and pollen....
thanks
Mike
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Inch-Amaryllis-Papilio-bulb-Butterfly-l-/390539441602?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aedf6f5c2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you think of this flower on e***

that is beautiful, I want one:)

o

Huh, that's interesting. I thought it was a sideways image but the flower petals sure do indicate the flower is facing the right way.

o

I've had blooms with sideways anthers and stigmas. They could have picked a better photo. Looks like a nice bloom!
Kristi

o

I too have had many blooms where the reproductive parts are all cock-eyed and sticking in the wrong direction. I don't really think there is anything wrong with that particular flower, just a poor choice for discriminating eyes like ours!! ;-)

o

Mike,

I just took another look at that listing and noticed that that is the seller from whom I bought my very first papilio (the one that came with a bud) and then I bought a second one later. Both of them were healthy bulbs with lots of roots. I don't know if it was the same strain as the one in the current picture but his plants were healthy..just in case you were interested...Donna

o

The coloration reminds me of the 'Yume Mitai' that recently sold for about $100 on eBay. I think it's gorgeous! I actually just bought a bulb from this seller. This clone appears to be more green and less red than most other papilio (of course, growing conditions could be the influence, rather than genetics... though I'm hoping it's genetics). -Tina

o

I experienced a bit of a mix up with my order, but the seller was apologetic and responsive... he made everything "right" and included a bonus. I am quite happy. I'm trying to convince him to send bulbs by first class mail, rather than by priority... it would be much cheaper! -Tina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here