Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socalgal_gw

Virus update

You may recall that my Hippeastrum hybrid tested negative for several viruses by ELISA at Agdia, but positive for filamentous viruses by electron microscopy at the U of Minnesota. Agdia does NOT like missing viruses with their tests! They requested additional leaves and tested by a different and more sensitive method, PCR, and found both potyvirus and carlavirus.

Fast forward to January when I saw a mosaic-like appearance on some

Amaryllis belladonna leaves. Turns out they are also negative for potyvirus by ELISA but positive by PCR, I'll be digging them up next weekend. Agdia has been very, very helpful with all of this and is continuing to investigate why their ELISA missed it.

I'll be ripping out any bulb in my yard that shows a hint of virus symptoms, and others nearby. Unfortunately, there is not much I can do about my neighbors. I've seen a very suspicious looking Agapanthus two doors down, and a poor looking Hippi a block away (both looking worse than mine did). Guess it's in the neighborhood.

Comments (11)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

I have the same issue...saw virus in neighbor plants a few years ago...prior to it affecting my bulbs. I did tell the neighbor that their bulbs were infected, but as long as they bloom, they don't really care.

Thanks for the update on the testing. Glad that you are getting things squared away with Agdia...maybe their test will be more sensitive now because of your contribution!
    Kristi

• tiarella
    13 years ago

Slightly confused about who ELISA is.? A person or a test? Have seen ads for Agdia in AOS(american Orchid Society)magazine. I was not aware of viruses for Hippies just tobacco mosaic virus. Reading this is a learning experience for me. Thanks!

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry to use acronyms. ELISA and PCR are both types of tests.

I carefully dug up all of my Amaryllis belladonna today, and all the Hippeastrum except papilio in my front yard. I bleached the pitchfork and my shoes between each patch.

I've heard that papilio doesn't display symptoms of mosaic virus. Does anyone know if it could still be a carrier? I might send a leaf off for electron microscopy. It was in a pot right next to the infected Hippeastrum hybrids.
    Ruth

• npublici
    13 years ago

None of my Papilio exhibited mosaic symptoms either,even though Hippeastrum on two sides of them were badly infected.Out of twelve hundred bulbs,I have burned about seven hundred.Some of them were prized, one of a kind seedlings.I,too, have been pondering the possibility of Papilio being a Typhoid Mary.I do not know.Apparently I got one bulb with mosaic and insects did the rest.From the time I first noticed It, until I saw no more,was two months.Some lost their leaves about that time,so I may yet find some,when they leaf out this spring.I don't have sufficient isolation to prove transferance either way.If I had dedicated greenhouses I would inject Papilio with the juice of a known virused plant,then in steps of time, later inject known clean plants with the juice of Papilio.Given that I have experienced mosaic at this site, I could never be sure that experiments were pure,without double isolation potted bulbs.I have the desire,but not the money.
    Del

• houstonpat
    13 years ago

Good line of discussion.
    More thoughts y'all...
    Patrick (lurking)

• npublici
    13 years ago

Pat,
    I have pictures of mosaic on photo bucket I took pictures of quite a few of them,before I burned them.It's under npublici sub folder mosaic. I don't have all of them there and I haven't had time to discard the out of focus, bad lighting ones. Eventually I will have those and more on another forum about Hippeastrum.I can't give you the link because gw would not allow this post,if I did.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Today I discovered a mosaic appearance on my Spanish bluebells; they are now bagged up and in the trash. When will it end! Maybe when I have no bulbs left in my garden?

I am definitely going to send a papilio leaf for virus testing by electron microscopy, and will report back with the results. If negative I'll be happy that my papilio is healthy, but won't know if it can be a carrier (it might just have not been tasted by an aphid). If positive, it will be useful for all to know that it isn't immune.

In doing some reading I learned how viruses can spread so readily. Aphids go around tasting lots of plants until they find ones they prefer -spreading disease with each taste.

Ruth

• mikep_cfl
    13 years ago

What are the long-term affects of the virus several of you are describing? Does it eventually kill or severely disfigure the plant? Is there anything one can apply to control the virus?

Does anyone have a feeling for how common viruses are in the Hippi bulb trade?

• haweha
    13 years ago

My main source of Mosaic was potted bulbs. If I purchase potted Knight Star Lilies EVEN, then I keep these in another room. From experience I can state that Mosaic is not very contagious THOUGH - at least not with INDOORS gardening.

Interestingly, all bulbs with Mosaic were or better had been TETraploids (I discarded them ASAP). The only DIP infected with Mosaic that I found introduced on the Web, was one "Mrs.Garfield"

Original Author
    13 years ago

Long term effects I've seen so far, the leaves get really ugly, blotchy green, and for the Amaryllis belladonna, a little twisted.

Once a bulb is infected there is no cure.

• npublici
    13 years ago

I believe that the mottling caused by mosaic probably interferes with photosynthesis.The bulbs are reduced in size and the flowers can be small.They are generally weaker,being more susceptible to rot and other disease.
    Del

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions