Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

tallest scape I have ever seen!

honeybunny2 Fox
13 years ago

I have just retuned home from the coast, its been over 2 weeks since I have looked at my bulbs. One bulb that was marked a Prince Carnival has a scape that is over 20 inches tall. I have never had an amaryllis that tall before. The plant is dark red, but has a small white throat. My husband took a picture of it with his phone, so I can send it to someone if they want to post it. I hope someone can tell me what it is, so I can label it correctly. My husband said it was beautiful, so he took the picture to show me when I got home. Barbra

Comments (12)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

You can send it to me and I'll post it for you.
    I had a Sumatra with a 42" scape, and my best friend's in CA was equally tall!
    Kristi

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just sent the pictures so that Donna could post them. Two of the pictures my husband took, one with the almost dead blooms I just took, showing how tall the scape is next to the others. I just found our ruler and when to measure it, since I was using sheets of paper before, its 24 1/2 inches tall from the base of the scape to the base of the flower. Barbra

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Pictures from Honeybunny2 aka Barbra...

{{gwi:386631}}

{{gwi:386632}}

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I think that's 'Oskar'! :) It's tall!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh, that is the only one that I did not want! I did not even buy one that was labeled Oskar. I wonder how many of those I will end up with? I love dark-dark red blooms, but am not a fan of red blooms. Thank goodness for plant swaps. I still have a long way to go to finish my box of chocolates. Purchased 71 bulbs, and only 9 have bloomed. Barbra

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Barbra, my 'Oskar' is very virused and with the white color breaks in your flower I'd say yours it too, be careful with it ;)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, thanks Josh. Will the leaves show any sign of white, or just the bloom? Each of the 4 Blooms have the same white star pattern on the outside of the bloom, and the small star inside the blooms. All 4 blooms are the same, they are not diffrent. I will watch and keep it from the others. I hate to throw it away, until I know for sure. Do you know where I can take it to have it tested to see if it is a virus? Barbra

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Do you see towards the end of the top and left petals the white splotches or lines? Those are what I'm talking about, not the coloring on the back side. The leaves will show streaks of lighter green or a yellow coloring. Usually when plants show that white streaking in the flowers it's a symptom of Mosaic Virus.

You can send samples to a few companies, I think it runs a bit high considering the price of the bulbs. Just keep it away from the others.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Josh, I see what you are talking about. You are looking at the picture that my husband took. That bloom is now dead, and the 2 that are now blooming do not show any sign of white on the front, just the back of the bloom. I know now what to look for. Thank you. I have removed the bulb, I do not want to take any chances. I do not have the heart to throw it away, so I will plant it at the farm, next to the tank, and give it a chance to live. If I see any sign of the white on the front or on the leaves I will destory it. Did any of the other Lowes bulbs show any signs of a virus? Thank goodness my husband had this plant isolated with just the phlox, and not with the other amaryllis, they were outside. I just put those next to it today, so I could take the picture. Barbra

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Barbara, I haven't noticed any other bulbs being virused yet!

Keeping the bulb isolated is a good idea, you don't want it to spread to all those others you just bought :)

I was really sad because I LOVED my 'Oskar', like you I'm not very fond of reds but this one really got me, the shape and color of the flowers I thought was better than most!

Josh

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh, my husband really liked it too, he said it got too tall to keep with the other bulbs, so he brought it inside for almost two weeks, before it even bloomed. He took the picture to show me how beautiful it was. I was 178 miles from home trying to protect my tropical plants from freezing. He was so excited to show me the picture, it was like he felt responsible for its blooming. I do not have the heart to tell him. Barbra

• haweha
    13 years ago

Fortunately, this kind of color impairment on the flower does not indicate an infection with Mosaic Virus.
    I observed this irregularity on several occasions, but the leaves would not reveal any sign of mosaic when they matured.
    This color "break" is very conspicuous if occurring to flowers in red unicolor - but generally it is a rather common phenomenon.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?